dibona14msc
desaulniersmsc

Physical Vs. Psychological abuse

dibona14msc

Con

Psychological abuse in the modern era is the worst form of abuse because the victim can not escape it. If it is happening at school the children who are the aggressors will insult and make fun of the victim as long as they can for the whole day. And now with social media they can harass the victim even when he or she is home, the child can no longer get away from the bullying. If it is at home the victim is subjected to it when ever possible, it will never go away.
desaulniersmsc

Pro

You may an excellent case regarding the trauma that psychological abuse can cause. However, you underestimate the impact of physical abuse. There's a reason for the old adage "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." In the case of psychological abuse, the victim has the ability to minimize the damage by ignoring the abuse or speaking to someone about it. In the case of physical abuse, the consequences are severe. There is a Wikipedia listing for all the victims of violence against lbgt. No doubt they suffered psychological abuse, but in the end, it was physical abuse which proved the more damaging.
dibona14msc

Con

I have a real problem with that phrase "words will never hurt me." I know for a fact that words have hurt me and I would be truly surprised if you have never been hurt by something someone else has sad. There have been numerous scientific studies that have proven that depression is linked to abuse, this abuse could be of any kind physical, sexual, or emotional. From dealing with people who suffer from depression in my own life I can tell you first hand that this combination of depression and abuse can be catastrophic to the person suffering from it. Any emotional attack seems worse to the victim, and any physical attack can lead to the victim emotionally abusing themselves. The chemical imbalance in the brain makes the patient seem sad, exhausted, on top of a few other things. It also makes the person focus on the negative, so when someone is abused and depressed they ask themselves "why are they doing this to me?" The answers make it worse Because now they are telling themselves every reason you could think of to hate them. Even if a victim isn't being psychological abused by an attacker they could be doing it to themselves. So tell me how words can't hurt someone, because whether it's the victim's or someone else's words, they seem pretty damaging to me.
desaulniersmsc

Pro

As many aphoristic statements imply, they sense and not the literal meaning is what matters. No rational person would deny the pain and harm caused by damaging words. However, there is at least recourse to ignore, answer back and resolve -- in the case of physical abuse, you become a victim no matter what. Also, the availability of therapists and counselors serves to mitigate the pain of verbal abuse -- especially as social stigma against seeking such help has waned in recent years. While many have witnessed children being yelled it in what clearly amounts to verbal abuse, seeing those same incidents with physical violence attached or in place of the verbal abuse would warrant immediate intervention. This is not to say verbal abuse does not result in trauma, it is just simply not as traumatic and life-threatening as physical abuse.
dibona14msc

Con

And there in lies the problem. People do nothing to try to stop emotional abuse, if anyone saw someone being beaten I would hope that the witness would do something to stop it. It is not the same way with emotional abuse, people will just walk right by ignoring it. No one goes out of their way to help the person who is getting yell at. Saying it is not as life-threatening as physical abuse is ridiculous , what about suicides. We see these cases all over "A child commits suicide due to bullying." We see these as great tragedies to our society, not to say that deaths do to physical abuse are not tragic, there is just something about a child committing suicide that makes our whole society sad. A public speaker came to our school a few years ago talking about the effects of bullying, he told us the story of his son who committed suicide. He sad he never saw it coming, that it would never happen to his son. The father knew about the bullying, but tried to late to stop it. How would you feel if it was your son or daughter that committed suicide. I do not want to sound like I am saying physical abuse is an easy thing to deal with, but to driven to taking one's sown life, it seems like the worst pain one could go through.
desaulniersmsc

Pro

You make an important point regarding the issue of non-intervention when witnessing someone being verbally abused. Often times it is a matter of what constitutes abuse. In the case of physical abuse, it is very clear when it is taking place. For example, educators are told to note any markings or signs of physical abuse. It is also easier to hide signs of psychological abuse. The case of bullying being so extreme it leads to suicide presents a tragic dimension to this issue. Nevertheless, better training regarding noting signs of depression, withdrawal, and other possible signs of psychological trauma may be exercised to curtail such tragic events. In the case of physical abuse, any sign requires immediate intervention to protect the safety and well being of the person involved. In the case of psychological abuse, the victim should get the necessary attention as soon as possible, but there is still ways t mediate the effects of abuse. No one should have to suffer the extreme form of bullying that results in suicide. Nevertheless, in all cases of physical abuse -- the role of aggressor and victim is clear. Physical abuse is more widespread in the harm it does.
dibona14msc

Con

The other problem with emotional abuse is that it is much more widespread. In 2011 a study was done by the US government that showed that almost 90% of reported abuse cases involving children had some form of emotional abuse involved. Only 17% of all reported cases had some for of physical abuse. Most of the reported cases had multiple kinds of abuse involved, almost all of the cases had some form of emotional abuse involved, the most common being neglect. Psychological abuse is now much more wide spread, and people do not seem to realize that fact.
desaulniersmsc

Pro

An excellent point -- and I concede. While physical abuse is a problem, the more insidious effects of psychological abuse have been made abundantly clear in your arguments. As this issue gets more attention, hopefully more will be done to intervene and prevent psychological abuse as has been done in the area of physical abuse. It's time to look at the whole picture of abuse and create the safest environments possible.
dibona14msc

Con

dibona14msc forfeited this round.
desaulniersmsc

Pro

desaulniersmsc forfeited this round.
Posted by ConnollyMSC2014 3 years ago
ConnollyMSC2014
Psychological abuse lasts longer then physical abuse. Just think about the scars that are left in that persons spirit. They might even face suicidal thoughts thinking they aren't worthy because of what was beat into their heads at a young age.
Posted by superman1226 3 years ago
superman1226
I personally believe that physical abuse's effect will last longer than that of psychological abuse. Because physical abuse will cause people psychologically and physically while psychological abuse will cause people psychologically only.