ariel09
MuffinKing

Physical abuse as a punishment for children

ariel09

ariel09

Con

I am against hitting or abusing children for punishment for bad behavior.

The reason why hitting or abusing children is bad because, "Spanking a child may produce long-term ill effects."(http://www.cnn.com...)
Spanking and hitting a child is a form of corporal punishment. One of the long term problems is that spanking children leads to anti-social behavior. Also hitting a child leads to the lack of trust for people.Not only does child abuse effect them pyschologically but also physically. Alot of hitting and abuse for punishment leads to severe physical injury which can defect a child for the rest of their lives. In addition, by hitting or spanking your child you're telling the child that hitting and spanking is an accpetable way to express anger on others. Moreover, the child will start to have feelings of worthlessness, and not loved because their parents hit them. Also a child is so young and they are defenseless to an adult, especially their parents. In addition, hitting a child leads to them having communication problems with people in general. Furthermore, hitting a child doesn't only affect the child but it affects their children in the future and it also effects you as a parent. "Spanking often leads to remorse, guilt, and doubts about the quality of your own parenting skills."(http://life.familyeducation.com...) Furthermore, usually when parents hit their children the hitting and punishment gets worse and stronger as the child grows which could lead to death and other serious medical conditions!!!! This is why abusing children as a punishment is wrong!
MuffinKing

Pro

I agree to be Pro for this argument. I will now present my case. In the argument involving child abuse, I believe it is a neccessary evil that must be done. Granted, that children will do what they wish to do even despite our best effort as parents, but discipline is a must. In order to discipline some children, it is abosolutely required to spank them. It was done in the old days, and it should still be something to considered in these days. The reason being that the spanking serves as a teaching agent. This is to say that when one gets spanked they know they have erred in a way that is not acceptable. I am not condoning excessive child abuse, nor am I saying that it is a wise thing to send your child to the hospital over spilled milk, or back talk. A simple spank on the bottom is enough, this is because "time out" is viewed as an easy escape. I speak not form an ignorant mind, but one that has had experience in being beaten as a child. I myself was a trouble maker when I was young, so I do speak from the heart. Furthermore, it does not have any ill effects on me as a person, it was simply a required thing in my life. Therefore, with that being said, a mild spanking should not violate the child or his/her reasons, it is used to simply discipline the child and teach them right from wrong. Again, when a child is sent to "time out" it is sort of like recess, the only difference is that the child is sitting alone in a corner. Yes one might think that they have nothing to do, but has it ever occured to the parent that the child is thinking to themselves that, "if i do this, then i'll only have time out, which is fine, because I can plan to do something else after time out and see what I can get away with", this is a clear example of what can go wrong with the time out method. This is why some sort of discipline is indeed required, but I must reiterate, that I am not saying take an electric cord and choke your child out, that is simply child abuse, a spank on the hand or the bottom is a very effective way.
ariel09

Con

Hitting your child doesnt teach them to not do it again, it plainly teaches them that kind of behavior is acceptable for wrongdoing. Discipiline is a must for child to learn, but hitting or spanking a child doesnt fall under discipline, it falls under child abuse. Even though spanking was done years ago by our grandparents, that doesnt mean it is right to do..Spanking a child even alittle over and over again as time passes will of course effect the child emotionally and physically if persistent. And when children are beaten to learn a lesson, the only thing they learn is that behavior is acceptable and then they tend to beat their child when they are older. It is called the circle of abuse. "About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse."(
http://www.childhelp.org...) This goes to show that hitting a child leads to different sorts of emotional and physical damage, which causes a cycle of abuse. In addition, time out is not the only way to punish a child, there are many other non-abusive ways to punish a child instead of hitting, such as taking away cellphone, computer, no going outside, etc. So if time out doesnt work than there are other back-ups to punish a child, there is no need for physical punishment. By hitting a child, it just makes them angry and emotionally disturbed, it doesnt teach them not to do it again. Also hitting your child as a parent, you're taking advantage of them being young and defenseless and they cant retailate back at you which is unfair. People tend to forget children are young and they will make mistakes, but by hitting them they are not helping the child to understand what they did wrong, it just teaches them that hitting is acceptable for bad behavior. By teaching the child that hitting is acceptable, they will go through life thinking it is okay to hit others for behavior they dont accept. Teaching your child that, it is not good parenting skills, you're suppose to teach your children right not wrong, and by hitting them you contradict what your goal is.
MuffinKing

Pro

Given the other ways to teach your child discipline, these are not as effective in my opinion. It is known that that parents do hit their kids, that has been going on for centuries. Just because people do not openly state that they beat their children, does not mean it does not happen. Furthermore, the taking away of things does not promote any sort of discipline. Those from the old school days would know what I am referring to when I say " the look". This was a term that was used to describe a look that was given by a parent right before a spanking. The only reason the spanking occured was because the child had done something wrong. When you take away a childs toys or cellphones, that simply gives them a means of doing something else while they are not using the item which was taken from them. Also, with that statistic you posted, it is a good counter point, yet becuase there are not many known sites to me, I can not counter your point about what percentage of children, due to do beatings have not gone down a wrong path. I am trying to say, that just because you take away someones belongings does not mean they know what is right or wrong. They can survive without this item, so it does not make a huge difference to them whether they posses it or not. On the other hand, if a parent gives the child a look, they would probably be less likely to attempt the same thing or anything else that would lead them to believe that they would get spanked. That is what is called " the look", this is due to the spanking they recieved earlier. In a sense, it is out of fear that the child would not do any wrong, but this is also out of respect. In the old days, you knew if you came home pass your curfew, regardless of time or presence of an adult, they knew what time you came home, and what to expect if not that very moment then in the morning. This is not a bad thing, it is perfectly ok to discipline your child in this fashion, the key is to not over due it. That is the same with anything in life, when you consume something or do something more than you should, the consequences are very bad indeed. In the same sense though, what evidence is there that promotes that even without the spanking, the child does not turn out to be a rapist, deliquent, murder? Atleast, with some type of discipline you can avoid some of these issues. When you take away something of someones, they will try to replace it with something else, or to attempt to take back what was originally theres. This in turn could make your child a theif, or even angry that their toy was taken from them, which can cause you to get attacked by your very own child. They are young yes, but defenseless no. They can always call the police in cases of very bad abuse or DYFUS. Children do have a means to retaliate and some do. The situation then is something that is not desireable. When you do attemp to take away that childs item, how many do you take? Would you take them all? If that is the case then perhaps the child will look at it as a game, and see how many items you can carry or take from them. Also this might lead them to develop phsychological problems, like making up imaginary friends who wish them to do wrong, or tell them explicity that it is ok. With this type of behavoir, you might be convinced it is a phase the child is going through, and thus not want to punish them. With that, you would most likely not want to discipline them, because let's face it..we all have had imaginary friends, whether they said do wrong or right is on the person. So is it really ok to just take away your childs belongings and leave them to themselves to inflict harm on their bodies? This is another real possiblity, that because the parent took their toys away, they are being punished but also not loved for it. A spanking can be reasonable, since you as a parent can explain why you are spanking them.
ariel09

Con

First off, yes there are people hitting their children but there are laws out to protect children from being abused and there are people put in jail for abusing their children. "About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder." (National child abuse statistics) This shows that children who are abused have a high risk of gettting a psychological disorder. There are statistics on child abuse and punishment and the numbers are growing as time is passing, it is become a problem. "More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse."(national child abuse statistic." This statistic proves that child abuse is a growing problem, it becoming an epidemic. It is really sad that there are children dying every day from abuse from there parents just because they did something wrong that they didnt like. This also goes with the fact that even if you don thave the intent to hurt your child alot , most of the time you dont know how much force your hitting them with and usually cause more damage than you wanted. In addition, taking away toys is a good method because you are taking away something that they like because they did wrong, which will let them know if they want to toy back they need to be on good behavior. An the "look" thing is not good for a child because it causes fear and distress on a child, which blocks them from learning anything because they fear you. Putting fear in your child is teaching them that it is okay to make people fear you and that can lead them to be very aggressive and anti-social when they are older. "Children who experience child abuse & neglected are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime."(national child abuse statistics) This statistic shows that children are effected by the abuse and the fear that the parents puts into them as a child. This statistic also shows that by installing fear and pain into your child, it is causing them to commit violent crimes when they are older which makes them agressive. Furthermore, have a child fear you doesnt mean they respect you, they are just terrified of being in pain so they try to do whatever they can so they dont feel that pain again. Most children who are abused dont respect their parents because of their upbringing. And by causing them to dislike their parents, will also teach them to dislike others which leads them back to the anti-social behavior. Moreover, Chidlren are defenseless no matter what age they are because children under 7 dont know to call the police or how to call the police. In addition, children who are older than 7 can call the police but the fear that the parents installed into them from beating them prevents them to calling the police because they are scared of what is going to happen next. Children also dont have the stregthen or power that an adult has which makes them unable to do nothing in a situation, they just have to sit their an take it. "For every incident of child abuse or neglect that gets reported, it's estimated that two others go unreported."National Child Abuse Statistics. This statistics shows that children being abused goes unreported due to the lack of education, the fear of their parents, and their fear of what is going to happen for their future. As you can see that hitting your child is not the answer, and taking way objects is better than hitting, and will not cause the child to be violent.
MuffinKing

Pro

According to Calvin College psychology professor Dr. Marjorie Gunnoe, spanking children under the age of 6 can make them happier and more successful later in life. http://theweek.com... . This article clearly states that spanking your child is not as bad as what people make it seem to be. In the article, it states," Gunnoe questioned 2,600 people, a quarter of whom had never been spanked, about everything from academic success to their optimism about the future and found that those who had been disciplined with spanking between the ages of 2 and 6 faired best in all categories". That is to say that spanking given limitations isn't a bad thing. It does teach the child how to properly act in society as well as instills certain rules in your child and values. That is the values to do right and what right is. If the child acts accordingly then they will not be spanked. The spanking sets boundaries in reality as to what can be done and what shouldn't be done. Parents have been saying this for years now and finally there is a study to show that some sort of spanking and discipline is required to aid your child's development. I'm not trying to advocate blaytant child abuse, but a little spanking here and there should be acceptable. It wouldn't be considered as abuse if you send your child to "time out" and out right ignore them, even to the point where some children urinate on themselves. How can you say that this itself is not abuse? Simply because there are no visible marks does not mean there are no emotional ones. This is more abuse then actually spanking your child, some parents will even admit to ignoring their children while in "time out". So would it not be better to spank the child and explain to them why they got spanked? It shows them the reason as to what is being done to them, and also that you do care enough to explain what they did wrong to deserve it. Atleast in the latter case you will not be ignoring their phsyical needs.
ariel09

Con

Even though there is a statistic, that is only 1 statistic. There are so many other statistics out there on what abuse from punishment does to children. Spanking doesnt make a child happy, it makes them aggressive and anti-social. There is no way spanking can make a child happy, personally if some spanked me i would be very angry and feel very violated! On top of things they are talking about a little pat on a butt, but even that most of the time parents hit with more force than they wanted to. When they hit with more force, they do more harm and injury to the child. So if people think a little pat on the butt is good, and it is bad to beat you child where do we draw the line in the middle? You really cant, because again everyone has their own judgement on how much force they use and sometimes they want to hit with this amount of force but end up hitting with more force intented. So in the end, a pat on the butt or a real hard beaten they are both wrong because they do lead to physical harm and psycological damage.
MuffinKing

Pro

The goal here is to do just that, spank them gently on the butt. You are not supposed to go overboard, in that case this is indeed child abuse. But what I am trying to relate to you is that a gentle pat on the back side is all you need, most parents are good at doing this. And let me go back to an earlier post that you made about your statistics and what percantage who were beat ended up doing criminal activities. With the study I posted above, it is completely feasiable that the children who were beat were abused in such a way that it was not discipline. One can also say that even with the taking away of toys and objects that the child may still end up going down the wrong path. And let me refer you back to my very first post, where I did tell you I was spanked myself, I did not feel angry or sad, I felt as though I shouldn't have been spanked yet it was due to me doing something wrong. I did not repeat this action again, due to the spanking that would ensue. It worked on me and that was good enough for me to stop doing the wrong things. It was a gentle pat and it was deserved in my case, and there are many cases where children are getting just gentle pats as opposed to out right abuse.
ariel09

Con

But yes like i said before, alittle smack on the butt is usually done with more force intented. So even though you have the intent to smack light, most likely it will come out harder. You statistic is for only ages 2-6, which is a small range, we are talking about all children from birth to 18 years of age. So that statistics i have go from the age their born until the age their an adult, so they cover more than your statistic. Your opinion about being spanked is only for you, but in general from studies done most child fall into depression, anxiety, and start to feel worthless because of the beatings. The main thing is people cant control how much force they are usuing and on top of it they more they do it they worse the beatens get. Furthermore, it doesnt matter if it is a pat on the butt or a hard smack, it still damages the child psychologically which makes them into anti-social criminals, also have an 80% chance of having a psycological disorder. There are plenty of proof and statistic that show that hitting your child is wrong and does damage. There is also statistics stated above that is also causing psycological damage to the paprent. These statistics doesnt say that the child was beaten, they just say that the child was hit when they were young, so it doesnt matter if it is a light pat, it causes harm. And any parent shouldnt want to harm or hurt their child, i know i wouldnt.
MuffinKing

Pro

I do agree with you that no parent will want to be harm their child. I will also agree with you that my statistic is within a certain age range, yet this is a good enough statistic, because with what you said earlier, children who are in this range aren't capable or have the knowledge how to call the police or DYFUS. This contradicts what you state right now about children being abused pass that age range. Your last statement should not have mentioned this range, because children after the age of 7 can and should call the police to report abuse, if it is not being reported that in itself is a crime. The parents who do abuse the kids beyond this point, are indeed abusing their child and I will agree that this is abuse. Yet in the same respect there are parents who do not abuse their kids to this extent and that is what the study is talking about. Granted that even if the children do not call the police, most children do not feel abused in the case of spanking. Although given the statistics there is compelling evidence on your side that there is a degree of child abuse occurring that is written off as discipline. With this into consideration, I will say that this decision to spank the child is still within the parents domain of discipline, but with your evidence I would say that perhaps one should rethink the spanking and phsyical discipline, and involve more passive ways to show your child what is wrong and what isn't.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
So due to the fact she had more diverse sources and other strong well supported arguments, about how spanking leads to many problems, she gets the args point.

*note the rest of the arg RFD = voting section*
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
I might take this.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
ariel09MuffinKingTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate degraded in the last rounds, and that was to short and choppy to have a winner down there. Now, Con showed and had many arguments and sources with those arguments showing that kids that are physically punished are inn fact doing worse in other forms of daily life, and provided alternative solutions. Pro only had one statistic talking about the argument of kids do worse, as she had multiple ones from more accurate and divers sources, she gets those points too. rest in comments
Vote Placed by Mak-zie 4 years ago
Mak-zie
ariel09MuffinKingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spanking is not a physical abuse to children, in my opinion at least, and Con had to convince me in that in order to win arguments. Pro had less sources.