tylergraham95
Lucas.Pinch

Physical (sexual) attraction is very important in a romantic relationship.

tylergraham95

tylergraham95

Pro

First round is acceptance only.
Both sides will argue in agreement (pro) or disagreement (con) of the resolution.
No new arguments may be brought up in the final round.
Lucas.Pinch

Con

I think physical is not a very important part of a romantic relationship, I rather think that mutual understanding, trust, and simply love are keys for a successful relationship. Physical shape is only a minor part in most of successful relationships.
tylergraham95

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my challenge and wish him good luck.

I am making this argument in attempt to contend that Physical or Sexual attraction is a very important aspect of a romantic relationship. I will structure my argument around the following contentions.

1. Sexual activity increases intimacy
2. Sexless relationships are not romantic, but instead friendly
3. Sexual activity is a method of showing affection

My first contention states that sexual activity increases intimacy. Foryourmarriage.org writes "Intimacy includes physical closeness." (1)
"To Love" is defined as "to feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone)." When couples enjoy each others company and each others body, they grow closer in affection, love, understanding, and intimacy. This makes for strong happy and fruitful relationships. An advice column by dallasnews answered the question at hand, and the advice giver stated that the woman would be "Miserable" in a sexless relationship.

A relationship that fits the criterion of my opponents argument that does not contain sex is simply friendship.
"mutual understanding, trust, and simply love"
These are all the same traits of the relationship that one ought to hold with their friends. A perfect example is the ideal relationship that Christians have with Jesus. Jesus is understanding, trusting, loving, and forgiving, but one does not hold a romantic relationship with Jesus. I personally have good friends who I trust, understand, and love, but I wouldn't be proposing marriage to any of them or even taking them on any dates primarily because no physical attraction exists between us. Furthermore, many of my friends are male, and I am not a homosexual (although I do not presume to pose that homosexuality is inferior). Without physical attraction of some sort, a relationship that fits the idea that my opponent has constructed is only a friendship, because it lacks the intimacy that comes with physical/sexual attraction.

My third contention regards affection in relationships. Physical attraction results in a number of actions that couples can take to show romantic affection, kissing, hugging, and other more sexual acts. In cases of heterosexual marriage, these acts can also bear children, which can also help create an intimate and fruitful relationship. In the cases of homosexual relationships, sexual activity still bears a great deal of intimacy and affection.

In all relationships (aside from the <1% of the population that is asexual) both partners will have natural, hormonal desires to engage in sexual relations. If these needs are not met, then the partners are likely not to find intimacy and happiness in their relationship.

Regarding my opponents statement of physical shape, I would argue that indeed your physical shape does not determine whether or not one can have a intimate relationship, because you can still find someone who you find attractive who also finds you attractive even if you're stick thin, or large and in charge. Sex is universal among all scales of weight, height, appearance, and sexual orientation (asexuality aside) and is a beautiful method by which couples reach intimacy, and achieve a proper romantic attraction.

I urge that the voters vote in favor of the affirmative, due to my sufficient proving of my own side, and disproving of my opponents side.

1. http://www.foryourmarriage.org...
2. http://www.dallasnews.com...
Lucas.Pinch

Con

Lucas.Pinch forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Pro

I do hope my opponent will return promptly to finish this debate.
Lucas.Pinch

Con

Lucas.Pinch forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Pro

tylergraham95 forfeited this round.
Lucas.Pinch

Con

Lucas.Pinch forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
tylergraham95Lucas.PinchTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
tylergraham95Lucas.PinchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con completely abandoned this debate, and pro stuck around enough to only miss one round; plus gave an argument about sex.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
tylergraham95Lucas.PinchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly, a nigh-full forfeit from Con. Conduct for Con's forfeits--though Pro forfeited the last round, it was understandable in light of Con's lack of participation. Arguments because Pro rebutted Con's points, demonstrating that without sexual attraction the romantic relationship is indistinguishable from a "mere" friendship, and made a case for the contention which was never rebutted due to Con's forfeits. Sourcing because Con didn't use any, while Pro used sources, and they were at least relatively reliable.