zipper68
stopyellingatme

Physician Assisted Suicide

zipper68

Pro

I argue that physician assisted suicide should be made legal in the United States, but with some regulations. Obviously patients would need to be mentally stable to make rational decisions on how they should handle their lives, and they should not be under the influence of any type of pain-killers that would cloud or influence any of their choices. Doctors would need to be heavily regulated to prevent corruption and they would need to read an official script to the patient (about how the assisted suicide would work), so their is no way he can be misunderstood or so he won't try to influence the patient with his opinions. The patient must know exactly what he/she is deciding so they can independently make their choice. Those are the regulations on the affirmatives PAS (Physician Assisted suicide) and they will be followed throughout the debate.
stopyellingatme

Con

Suicide is a bad thing in all forms, be it self afflicted or assisted. Just because somebody wants to die does not make it right to help them kill themselves. If a person truly wanted to die, they would likely do it themselves. If they believe self inflicted suicide is wrong than they are clearly in poor mental state if they believe suicide is perfectly ok if somebody else kills them. The person who helps these people also has questionable mental stability as it literally is there job to kill people. If someone is openly suicidal society should make efforts to help them get over those feelings, under stand why they feel that way, and possibly better their lives, not make it easier for them to die.
zipper68

Pro

zipper68 forfeited this round.
stopyellingatme

Con

stopyellingatme forfeited this round.
zipper68

Pro

First of all, I'd like to apologize for my absence and the absence of my partner. Yes everyone is busy from time to time, but now that I am back, I will attempt to continue this debate. Hopefully the amount of rounds we have left will let us express our true arguments.
To counter my opponents attack, in no way shape or form would a person be able to participate in assisted suicide, if they are just depressed. In all the states where physician assisted suicide is legalized, a patient must be in extreme pain, to allow themselves to be relieved of their life. If someone is depressed enough to kill themselves, then they should seek help immediately. When someone is in infinite extreme pain, obviously they would not want to live in this agony forever. It is logical and understandable to feel that way. The question is, do you have the right to die? After all, it is your life. No one Else's. So, in some cases, yes. If someone's life is only going to experience extreme suffering and sadness, why would you want to live it? If their is no cure or help for the painful disease you hold, why would you want to experience it? The reason why personal suicide is illegal, is because a person may or may not be in the correct state of mind to make that desicion, and they may be a danger to other people while committing the act. In physician assisted suicide, a person is safe, able to make their own rational decisions, and is much more aware of the situation.
My opponent has also said that if someone desired to commit suicide, they would do it themselves. This is not true. It is much easier and less painful to die in assisted suicide than it is to kill yourself. Also, some patients may not have the ability to kill themselves, and would need help by a doctor. These people are not being killed nor murdered by doctors (who have PHd's and are fully equipped and trained in their job), they are being assisted from their pain. Similar doctors participate in this job, who euthanize patients that are given the death penalty. These doctors are not murderers, they are doing a job and helping people. In these quotes, a physician assisting doctor, Jack Kevorkian, expresses his opinions of his job:

"My ultimate aim is to make euthanasia a positive experience." -Jack Kevorkian
"Yes, we need euthanasia, for certain cases where people are in comas or too immobile to even press a button." -Jack Kevorkian

Physician assisted suicide is also labeled the "Death with Dignity Act" and the reason why patients would use it, is because they die with dignity, knowing of the consequences, instead of irrationally killing themselves.
If my opponent is suggesting that personal suicide is better than official, pain relieving physician assisted suicide, then I am very concerned. Physician assisted suicide wont make it easier to die, it will prevent millions of dangerous personal suicides, because people will take the safer way out, instead of cutting or shooting themselves or jumping off buildings. Many of these personal suicides can also go wrong, leading to catastrophic injuries to the victim and even more depression. If a patient is in a hospital their whole life, it will cost lots of money and room to keep them stable, when they do not wish to live anymore. It is beneficial for the hospitals and the patient, if they feel like they do not want to experience their pain anymore, and it is ethical to not let people suffer.
stopyellingatme

Con

stopyellingatme forfeited this round.
zipper68

Pro

zipper68 forfeited this round.
stopyellingatme

Con

stopyellingatme forfeited this round.
Posted by ColeTrain 1 year ago
ColeTrain
I will accept if you change argument time to 72 hours.
Posted by Akihabara 1 year ago
Akihabara
I hope I do well being that I have no religious beliefs I think I can avoid using that as an argument
Posted by zipper68 1 year ago
zipper68
Your correct this would be a very difficult argument to debate on, however I have taken the opposite side before in a previous debate and it is possible. I would totally understand if no one wants to take up the negative, for it would take up a lot of time and patients.
Posted by Deav0n 1 year ago
Deav0n
Any sane person takes their pet to the vet when it is ill and suffering yet the law does not allow a sane person who is suffering to choose to end their own life?
To me this makes no sense. I look forward to an argument that does not stem from a religous view point of how sacred life is.....if there even is such an argument againts euthanasia.