chipstudent
RhettBaron

Physician assisted suicide (Euthanasia)

chipstudent

Pro

The right to life is perhaps the most basic and fundamental of all our rights. However, with every right comes a choice. The right to speech does not remove the option to remain silent; the right to vote brings with it the right to abstain. In the same way, the right to choose to die is implicit in the right to life. The degree to which physical pain and psychological distress can be tolerated is different in all humans. Quality of life judgments are private and personal, thus only the sufferer can make relevant decisions.[1] This was particularly evident in the case of Daniel James.[2] After suffering a spinal dislocation as the result of a rugby accident he decided that he would live a second-rate existence if he continued with life and that it was not something he wanted to prolong. People are given a large degree of autonomy within their lives and since deciding to end your life does not physically harm anyone else, it should be within your rights to decide when you wish to die. While the act of suicide does remove option to choose life, most cases in which physician assisted suicide is reasonable, death is the inevitable and often imminent outcome for the patient regardless if by suicide or pathological process. The choice for the patient, therefore, is not to die, but to cease suffering.

[1]Derek Humphrey, 'Liberty and Death: A manifesto concerning an individual's right to choose to die', assistedsuicide.org 1 March 2005, http://www.assistedsuicide.org... (accessed 4/6/2011)

[2]Elizabeth Stewart, 'Parents defend assisted suicide of paralysed rugby player', guardian.co.uk, 17 October 2008, http://www.guardian.co.uk... (accessed 6/6/2011)
RhettBaron

Con

before we start the debate i would like to tell a story of my latter years:
when i was in highschool i had a job at the local supermarket bagging groceries. i would try my best to be very friendly to everyone i met. one day there was a morbidly obese man that walked up to the register and demanded i serve him. "Yes sir" i said, looking him up and down i could tell from his greasy hair and horrid acne that he was truly a basement warrior and easily over 300 lbs. one other thing that was very prominent was his stench, which could only be described as the acrid urine of satan after a healthy helping of asparagus. as i looked in his cart i noticed something also strange. his cart consisted of almost only mountain dew, doritos, and hot pockets. i rang up the total to 300$.
"here you go" he said as he shoved his fat, sweaty hand into his pocket and retrieved 280$ and various lose change. after purchasing his various goods he then proceeded to reminisce about his my little pony and fedora collections. eventually he grew tired and decided that it was time for him to leave. i suppose he though we got along well and so he asked for my name "Charlie Yeltsab" i lied, hoping i would never have to see this waste of human life again. He respoded with "Nice to meet you my name is chipstudent, i post stupid questions on a debating website.
chipstudent

Pro

Point: Those in the late stages of a terminal illness have a horrific future ahead of them.
The gradual decline of their body, the failure of their organs and the need for artificial support. In some cases, the illness will slowly destroy their minds, the essence of themselves; even if this is not the case, the huge amounts of medication required to "control" their pain will often leave them in a delirious and incapable state. At least five percent of terminal pain cannot be controlled, even with the best care. Faced with this, it is surely more humane that those people be allowed to choose the manner of their own end, and have the assistance of a doctor to die with dignity. One particular account was of Sue Rodriguez who died slowly of Lou Gehrig's disease. She lived for several years with the knowledge that her muscles would, one by one, waste away until the day came when, fully conscious, she would choke to death. She begged the courts to reassure her that a doctor would be allowed to assist her in choosing the moment of death. They refused. Rodriguez did not accept the verdict and with the help of an anonymous physician committed suicide in February 1994.[1]

[1]Chris Docker, Cases in history, euthanasia.cc, 2000 http://www.euthanasia.cc... (accessed 6/6/2011)
RhettBaron

Con

This is the Physicians oath as of now submitted by the World Medical Association (WMA):

AT THE TIME OF BEING ADMITTED AS A MEMBER OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION:

I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;

I WILL GIVE to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;

I WILL PRACTISE my profession with conscience and dignity;

THE HEALTH OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration;

I WILL RESPECT the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

I WILL MAINTAIN by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;

MY COLLEAGUES will be my sisters and brothers;

I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;

I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life;

I WILL NOT USE my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;

I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

The sections that concern me the most are "The health of my patient will be my first consideration", "I will maintain the utmost respect for human life", and "I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat"
These sections show that as a medical professional it is considered the worst possible action a physician can take.
Thus, euthanasia is wrong and should never be practiced.

http://www.wma.net...

p.s. sorry if argument does not make sense english is not first language.
chipstudent

Pro

chipstudent forfeited this round.
RhettBaron

Con

I extend my argument.
chipstudent

Pro

chipstudent forfeited this round.
RhettBaron

Con

RhettBaron forfeited this round.
Posted by chipstudent 2 years ago
chipstudent
I still will post my argument however. I'm sorry for the report.
Posted by chipstudent 2 years ago
chipstudent
Oops sorry I reported the round before I read the comments...
Posted by RhettBaron 2 years ago
RhettBaron
No I'm just messing around ill use a well spoken argument in the next round. I truly hope pro has taken no offence, I viewed it as meaningless banter, however i see how one could be offended easily by my opening statement.
Posted by PatrickTheWise 2 years ago
PatrickTheWise
Does this constitute a personal attack on the Pro?