larztheloser
Travniki

Piano competition of awesomeness

larztheloser
Started: 6/27/2012 Category: Arts

larztheloser

Pro

Following Wallstreetathiest's model (although with some important differences), I have decided to instigate a piano competition. This one is particularly awesome because I'm so terrible at it that I'm going to make my opponent look awesome. So have fun thrashing me.

Format
Round 1 is for acceptance. In each other round, you must post a youtube video that depicts you performing your composition. I'm not going to set any strict limits on it, but try to keep it longer than 10 seconds and shorter than 5 minutes.

ALSO it is a condition of acceptance that you do not force me to post a round on next Saturday, Sunday or Monday as I will be away from a piano on those three days (NZ time). Please try not posting anything around the very start of the weekend and I'll manage (I can write/record a song on Tuesday morning).

Rules
Like my previous DDO composition competitions, each round must be on a theme set by the opponent. So for round two, con's "theme" that they must compose for will be determined by pro in round 2, and pro's theme will be determined by con in round 1. Good themes from the past have been "Iraq War", "Money - the rich and poor" and "The Igloo". Don't forget that if you accept this debate, you also need to post a theme for me to write a song for in round 2.
All piano songs must be originally composed and performed by you within the 3 day time period.
All music must come from the piano. No pre-recorded tracks.
Character space may be used to explain your compositions.
If you don't have a piano, a keyboard will do.

Judging
Please use only the convincing arguments button in your vote. You'll probably want to consider factors such as musicianship (which I will lose on, because I'm technically a terrible pianist), the quality of the performance and the quality of the music. Do not penalise either side for having a poor microphone, a shoddy piano, or for anything else beyond their control.

Good luck to my opponent, and I look forward to hearing some wicked music!
Travniki

Con

larztheloser

Pro

My opponent has failed to follow the rules and give me a theme. My opponent still refused to co-operate when I asked him nicely in the comments. Therefore, I have chosen a theme for myself. I had a dream about a very old king last night, so that was my theme. Two and a half hours later (most of which was spent reminding myself how to play a piano), this is what I came up with.

I know the sound quality is terrible, especially on the low notes (my microphone is a terrible inbuilt model), but please put up with it. Also, sorry about all the mistakes I made playing my own song - you can probably see why I kept failing all my old music exams! I hope you can enjoy it anyway.

My opponent will post a song on the theme of "brushing teeth".

;
Travniki

Con

Travniki forfeited this round.
larztheloser

Pro

I can wait...
Travniki

Con

Travniki forfeited this round.
larztheloser

Pro

*Sigh*

Vote pro for not forfeiting. I was quite looking forward to being able to play something else.

Also, while you're at it, wish me luck for Australs (world's second-biggest debate tournament). It starts in two days and my team will need it if we hope to get anywhere. (:
Travniki

Con

Travniki forfeited this round.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Also, because of the weekend issue I identified in round one, failure to respond by tomorrow (NZ time) will mean I will set my own theme.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Travniki, you forgot to post your opening theme?
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Watch someone post an 11 second composition.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
This makes me wish I could play the piano.

If we can't get anyone to battle us by the end of the 7 day period, I'll be willing to challenge you to a Piano vs. Guitar clash of awesomeness.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
lol

"longer than 10 seconds"

xD.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
i cant do that ):
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
composed and preformed?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
But who could tell the difference between a really good improv and a composition?
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
lol it took me a day to compose a minute composition that frankly sucked (for music theory)

Improv is a bit different than composition :P
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
It doesn't have to be the full five minutes. Mine probably won't be.

I'm a bit scared that one of those people who are really amazing at improv will take this debate. If so I'm screwed on all fronts.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
larztheloserTravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed a modest demonstration of his deftness with the piano, in stark contrast to Con's absence. It would seem fair that in this debate, to reproach Con for his absence but at least, the voter is temporarily overcome by Pro's performance.:)
Vote Placed by airmax1227 5 years ago
airmax1227
larztheloserTravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Pro submitted in any round. Conduct for FF.