Pick your own debate!

Started: 11/21/2011 Category: Economics

Basically look at my issues section of my profile and pick a topic you wish to debate me on. However I ask you to not pick the border fence topic given that I'm already in two debates about that topic and do not wish to be in a third.
So pick a topic, state that topic, and then state your position and then either make an argument or allow me to make the first arguments

Let's debate about the resolution resolved: 9/11 is a conspiracy theory. I'll take con

…. The resolution resolved: 9/11 is a conspiracy theory isn't even in the issues section (unless I'm blind)…
But I'll take a crack at the pro side just for the hell of it.

noun, plural -cies.
the act of agreeing to work together toward the same result or goal
an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
Law . an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

Considering that there were multiple terrorists who got together and developed a plan were 19 hijackers would go to America learn to fly and hijack 4 airplanes, and then crash those airplanes into buildings I'd say that it was a conspiracy. Bin Laden and his second in command and 19 terrorists got together and conspired to attack America.
It would be absurd to say that those 19 hijackers all decided to hijack those plans on the same day, in the same way without first devising them plan amongst themselves.

Oh ok I'm sorry I need to learn to read. Ok change of topic: Medical Marijuana. I'll take take con. The resolution is: resolved: Medical Marijuana cause more benefits Than harms to society. It's says you are pro med marijuana so I'll take con.

For the record, I was trying to say it was a government organizations but of you want to say its Al Qaeda a 8 month CIA investigation Saying that there is no conclusive evidence to say that Al Qaeda did not do the attack on 9/11 and the clip of him saying he did wasn't actually translated properly. Plus, even if thy admitted to it, that doesn't mean they actually did it.

This isn't important though switch to the newly proposed resolution...

I have a list 96 peer reviewed double blind studies on medical effects of using Marijuana as medicine.
I will go through every one that shows marijuana is effective in treating some kind of illness (I will go down the list as they list the studies so you can easily follow).
1)Marijuana medical treatments improved spasticity a disabling complication of multiple sclerosis.
2)Patients with post-traumatic or postsurgical neuropathic pain were given medical Marijuana the result was a decrease in pain, and an increase in proper sleep scheduling and restful sleep.
3)Medical marijuana was able to reduce pain for cancer patients who still felt pain even with opioids.
4)Patients using medical marijuana with neuropathic pain associated with HIV distal sensory polyneuropathy experienced reduce pain 100% more with medial marijuana. (ill be skipping studies that show medial marijuana helps with pain and instead just saying that another study shows it reduces pain).
5)Another study shows medical marijuana reduces pain.
6)Another study shows medical marijuana reduces pain.
7)Another study shows medical marijuana reduces pain.
8)Medical marijuana helped reduce intraocular pressure.
9)Medical marijuana helped increase the appetite of patients who appetites have been destroyed by medical procedures.
10)Another study shows medical marijuana reduces pain.
11)Another study shows medical marijuana reduces pain.
12)Medical marijuana was use to improve people's moods, sleep, and reduce fatigue,
13)MM (medical marijuana) used to reduce spasm and improve mobility in patients with spasticity.
14)MM was used and shown to decrease the spread of cancer cells in people with invasive cancer.
15)MM used to increase low weight HIV patients, and to improve their sleep, and mental functions.
16)MM was almost 100% more successful in treat HIV related peripheral osteopathy 17)MM was successful in limiting symptoms of Alzheimers.

I'm going to stop there and say that medical marijuana is used to help alleviate many illness and should be allowed.

When looking to my opponents source, it shows that Human studies on medical marijuana actually have negative effects more so than positive effects, so his point is moot and quite frankly, studies have pretty much been split down the line as to whether or not it is successful. So, his entire argument really has no weight in today's round. That is basically all there needs to be said, but i'm going to further extend some arguments anyways.

The argument here is courtesy of user 16kadams, this is not plagarizing because I am giving him the credit for all of this work. Here is what he has to say about Medical Marijuana.

Medical marijuana is addictive. In the long term it can be addictive, the effects may take a while.
It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it. The number goes up to about 1 in 6 in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25-50 percent among daily users. (1) So it can be addictive. It is talking about only dependency too, you can also be addicted to it socially.
According to the 2008 NSDUH, marijuana accounted for 4.2 million of the estimated 7 million Americans dependent on or abusing illicit drugs. In 2008, approximately 15 percent of people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported marijuana as their primary drug of abuse; 61 percent of persons under 15 reported marijuana as their primary drug of abuse, as did 56 percent of those 15 to 19 years old. (1)
Marijuana addiction is also linked to a withdrawal syndrome similar to that of nicotine withdrawal, which can make it hard to quit. People trying to quit report irritability, sleeping difficulties, craving, and anxiety. They also show increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately 1 week after they last used the drug. (1)

So that last part leads to my next argument, mental damage.
Research has shown that marijuana's negative effects on attention, memory, and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off (Schweinsburg et al. 2008). (1) That is not it, as I said above it causes withdrawal. This withdrawal causes all those things listed above, and that could lead to life in death situations. You may be quick to point out it says it peaks about one week later. Since marijuana gives you the munchies which make you hungry you would have to use it every day. So after one week you would be getting agitated, aggressive, sleep problems, anxiety, etc. Every day! I will make this more clear. If you do it this Monday, then you will be like this on Tuesday, if you do this on Tuesday then a week later on that Tuesday you will be like this also, and the cycle repeats.

More psychology:
someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time. Not surprisingly, evidence suggests that, compared with their non smoking peers, students who smoke marijuana tend to get lower grades and are more likely to drop out of high school (1) So it affects your learning too!
Because marijuana impairs judgment and motor coordination and slows reaction time, an intoxicated person has an increased chance of being involved in and being responsible for an accident (O'Malley and Johnston 2007; Richer and Bergeron 2009). (1) SO now driving is a problem when using marijuana.
Research has shown that some babies born to women who used marijuana during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which could indicate problems with neurological development. (1) Now pregnancy is affected!
A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.(2) Yes that says all of those terrible diseases.

Time for other facts about marijuana:

Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmia's. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities. (2)

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time. (2)

Now medical marijuana cannot be used medically says the FDA. The Food and Drug Administration has issued a statement saying there are no scientific studies to support the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Also it is considered a poisonous plant. Look at the source number 3 for more details.

Just in case you still don't understand my point check out my 4th source for more details.

Sources: (1) (2) (3) (4)

My opponent is using a huge logical fallacy; he is claiming that because medical marijuana doesn't have medical purposes for all medical conditions that the medical conditions it does have medical purposes for do not count.
The fact remains that medical marijuana has several medical purposes such as alleviating neurpathic pain. A ban on medical marijuana would result in the ban of a medicine that works better than any other medicines, resulting in worse health out comes and a worse off health care system.

My opponents post is also lying the source i posted studied the addictive potential of some medical marijuana the studies found that certain medical marijuana extracts do not result in addictive properties or addictive behavior.
medical marijuana is different then regular marijuana because in medical marijuana they take out the harmful and addictive chemicals and only use the chemicals that have medical purposes. this means that every time my opponent links to marijuana having unhealthy effects he is comparing apples and oranges, and therefore his comparisons are invalid. For example a scientific study found that medial marijuana improved the mental abilities of people with Alzheimers.
So basically a ban on medical marijuana would be an example of the government telling doctors how to treat patients. it would also be an example of the government telling millions of sick people that they cannot legally consume medicines that improve their medical condition.

There are 2 stats I would like him to bring up.

1) How many people actually use medical marijuana?
2) What percentage in real life actually benefits from it?

The link you provide directly showed that on human studies, te majority of studies didn't actually benefit people. I suggest you read his source voters.

Also: what is so bad about the government regulating the medical industry? When it wasn't regulated by them back in the earlier 20th century, companies were known for making false meds until the food and drug administration act was passed to make sure fraud was nonexistent. Ever since then, their regulation of meds has led to very little fraud in the medical industry. So, I'd like an explanation of how governments actually hurt the medical industry.

As for the falsified info: What his case is advocating is that marijuana can still provide harms, regardless of whether or not it is filtered or not. The relatively split nature of studies as well show that medical marijuana may not provide the benefits people believe it does. Plus, if it was so beneficial, why hasn't it been legalized worldwide and in the United States?

The majority of studies say that medical marijuana reduces pain, but that is an extremely subjective issues because sometimes pain is just mental, and can go away without medicine. Plus, there are many different forms of medicines that can treat pain, so pro will need to show that medical marijuana is superior in this area than the vast majority of other pain medications.

For these reasons, a con ballot is urged. Thank you.

1)Around half a million Americans use medical marijuana, also this only includes 12 states given that not many states allow medical marijuana.
2)According to everyone who uses medical marijuana it benefits them. Also I've already posted a source that links to a couple dozen studies that show that medical marijuana has real health benefits.

Again my opponent is making a huge logical fallacy. He is saying that because medical marijuana doesn't provide medical benefits for every disease that the diseases it does provide benefits shouldn't count. I said this in my earlier post but clearly my opponent decided to ignore it or didn't even bother to read my post.
There is nothing wrong with regulating the medical industry; what is wrong is the government banning medical marijuana. This is wrong because it is the government telling doctors how to treat patients and it is an example of the government telling sick people that they cannot have effective medicine.
My opponent is using another logically fallacy. Every medicine has its complications, and side effects, this does not make those medicines worthless saying so is ridiculous.
My opponent is using another logically fallacy. He is saying that because most societies haven't legalized Medical marijuana that the health benefits of MM are invalid. It would be like saying that in the 1400 since almost no nation had democracy that democracy would be a bad thing.
Even my opponent admits there are scientific double blind studies that show MM having medical benefits, therefore even my opponent agrees with my side.

Lets face the F****** facts. this is a cheap excuse for people to start tripping. Medicine exists to treat all the same symptons that marijuana deals with. not to mention it is a gateway drug to higher drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Boom. Roasted.
Posted by wiploc 4 years ago
Consumer Reports did a study on marijuana. They concluded that anti-marijuana studies fall into two categories:

1. Easy-to-check results will be undermined by subsequent research, but the repudiations will be buried in the back pages of the paper, while the scary headlines from the original story will be on the front page.

2. Hard-to-check results will have legs for years or decades, because nobody can confirm or deny them.

I remember one example: Some anti-pot scientist reported that smoking marijuana caused some problem, a neurological problem maybe. But it turned out that he'd only studied eight people, and six of those had had brain damage from physical trauma.

This article was a long time ago, in the 70s.
Posted by lolcannons 4 years ago
Never letting my friend post arguments for me ever again...
Posted by shift4101 4 years ago
"Ok change of topic: Medical Marijuana."

I laughed when I read this.
Posted by lolcannons 4 years ago
For the record I wrote this on my phone and the keyboard lagged like a mofo
Vote Placed by vmpire321 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: lmfao @ CON's last round... XD! Keep emotions out of this lawl.... Nice debate tho
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had good arguments. Con's quality of argument was lower. For instance, he assumes that if dropouts tend to smoke more than good students, then the dope is why they drop out. He could easily have cause and effect backwards. Con was pointlessly rude.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con had better arguments and better sources but i did have to give pro conduct because of the F-bomb (even though I would have done the same to make a very good point)