TheTruthAnalyst
wierdman

Pie is Better than Cake

TheTruthAnalyst

TheTruthAnalyst

Pro

I assert that pie is better than cake.

The debate will be 4 rounds.
R1 - Acceptance
R2 - Opening arguments
R3 - Rebuttals/further arguments
R4 - Rebuttals/conclusion

Burden of proof is shared. Burden of defining 'better' is shared.
wierdman

Con

I accept and await your response.
TheTruthAnalyst

Pro

Cultural importance

I will start with the cultural importance of pie. There are many common phrases which depend entirely upon pie, and these phrases are important for teaching wisdom to younger generations. Examples:

"You're always as polite as pie to them."[1] - Mark Twain teaches us one of the great pie-lessons of being polite. A pie never insults anyone, it just waits patiently, hoping to please with not only the external beauty, but the internal treat that is hiding just beneath the surface(in the case of covered pies).

"Pie in the sky." - Some would say that it is bad to look after the pie in the sky, the unreachable dream. However, happy people know that having dreams and desires is not a bad characteristic, as long as it is used as motivation, rather than an unachievable benchmark. Go chase your pie in the sky, every day!

"Easy as pie." - How else could we so strongly present the opinion that a task was not only easy, but even pleasant?

"A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around." - Edgar Watson Howe successfully used pie as a lesson in being an every day hero. For a boy to sacrifice pie and ala mode for family and country... there is no greater calling.

Aside from the lessons learned from saying and quotations such as these, pie is used as a symbol. Indeed, as we reflect on the Thanksgiving celebration recently in America, the pumpkin pie has served faithfully as the symbol of freedom, community, prosperity, and gratitude for hundreds of years.

Ease of speaking

Pie is an easier word to speak than cake. From a resting position with lips closed, only a slight opening of the mouth, and slight movement of the tongue are needed. Cake, on the other hand, has two 'hard' consonants that must be pronounced in rapid succession, causing unnecessary wear and tear to the tongue and roof of the mouth.

Health benefits

It is easy to make a healthy homemade pie. Indeed, an apple pie can contain 8 apples[2], yielding 1 serving of fruit in each of the 8 slices[3]!

[1] The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
[2] http://allrecipes.com...
[3] http://www.cnpp.usda.gov...
wierdman

Con

I appreciate the fact that my opponent responded in such a short amount of time.

Cake is far superior to pie in many ways. The first being the fact that cake has more variety than pie. The second being that cake tastes better. The third, cake is more cultural and finally, pie is noting more than filling on a crust.

Cake has more variety: In the world of dessert, cake proves to be the dominant bakery. With hundreds if not thousands of different cake, its no matter cake clearly defeats pie. "I like pie, but you can't do the awesome decorating to it as you can a cake.´┐Ż´┐ŻBesides you have far more different flavors for cakes then you do pie.." http://www.runehq.com.... Unlike pie, you are able to create or rather express different creative methods with cake. This not only encourages us to express our selves, but it also shows us that just like every cake, we can all be different and still be delicious.

Cake tastes better: Cake tastes better than pie because unlike pie, you can incorporate different elements within a cake to not only make it look better but also taste better. "a fancy cake tastes better than a fancy pie." http://us.battle.net... A look into the bakery process reveals that cake takes more time to bake than pie; meaning that cake has a better texture, is baked to perfection and is completely edible. The texture of the cake is suiting to the eyes thus increasing its taste. To verify this argument I would like to present the quote... "you eat with your eyes".

Cake is more cultural: In every valuable event, a cake is presented. This simply means that a cake is far richer in terms of culture. A cake is firm yet soft. This can be related as life been harsh yet suiting.

Pie is noting more than filling on a crust: Pie isn't firm nor does it have a firm shape. Its squishy, disgusting as well as nasty. Most people don't even like the crust, they just eat the sugar filled filling. This is unhealthy and dangerous.
TheTruthAnalyst

Pro

I also appreciate my opponent's arguments and speedy reply.

Notice that my opponent doesn't provide any support for his claim that there are more types of cake than pie. Pies can contain any filling, have crusts or no crust, different styles of crust, nuts, no nuts, etc... I object to Con's usage of personal opinions as to which is better, as there is no end of personal opinions on both types.

Again, Con uses a personal opinion about cake tasting better than pie. I propose that pie actually uses larger quantities of healthy, natural flavors, rather than relying on frosting and sugar. Baking time is irrelevant to texture. A flaky, crispy crust, moistened by the pie filling, is a wonderful texture to taste. I even argue that a shorter baking time makes pie better as it is more accessible.

Cake is very cultural, but pie has deeper roots in culture. Cake is used to celebrate individual events(weddings and birthdays), but pie celebrates much more. Pie celebrates community. Family reunions. Thanksgiving. A comforting meal. Pie is also used in pie-eating contests, showing it is a better competition dessert.

Some pie is actually quite firm. We have pumpkin pie, meringues, and hard creams. We also have soft fillings, such as cherry. The soft filling goes down smooth and coats your tongue in deliciousness. From personal experience, I assert that most people earth the crust of a pie, especially a warm, flaky crust that wasn't dried out.

I would present a further argument for the amazing 'better'-ness of pie. Pie charts. So many businesses are able to utilize pie-charts to quickly and effectively present ideas, increase effectiveness, and earn more money for employees and investors, who can then buy more pie.

Lastly, pie rhymes with more cool words.

Go buy some pie,
It will be so good you could die.
Every day I try,
To visit grandma, for a slice of pie.
My, oh my,
I feel I could fly,
Every time I eat pie!

I think I have clearly presented just how amazing pie is.
wierdman

Con

Thank you for your quick reply.

"Notice that my opponent doesn't provide any support for his claim that there are more types of cake than pie. Pies can contain any filling, have crusts or no crust, different styles of crust, nuts, no nuts, etc..."

My opponent neglects the fact that i did provide a source for my claim. If he chooses to look at my source, then he can go back to the first round where i provided my evidence.
Never did i say that a pie does not have different flavors, I merely stated that a cake has more flavor and different varieties than pie.

"I object to Con's usage of personal opinions as to which is better, as there is no end of personal opinions on both types."

The use of my source was not for personal reference, but to state or rather prove the fact that a cake is more diverse in terms of flavor. Unless my opponent provides a source proving that a pie is more diverse than a cake or rather the cake, then my source still stands.

"I propose that pie actually uses larger quantities of healthy, natural flavors, rather than relying on frosting and sugar."

In the same sense, a cake could use large quantities of healthy ingredients. The fact is that the amount of healthy and natural ingredient an individual uses is based on the individuals choice and not the desert itself. A pie could be unhealthy in many levels.

"A flaky, crispy crust, moistened by the pie filling, is a wonderful texture to taste."

This might be a good texture, but it does not even compare to a firm but soft texture. A texture that holds together when cut but dissolves in your mouth.

"I even argue that a shorter baking time makes pie better as it is more accessible. "

A longer baking time is a sign of maturity and growth of taste. With every second, the taste grows even stronger, richer and the product reserves an elegant shape.

"Cake is very cultural, but pie has deeper roots in culture. Cake is used to celebrate individual events(weddings and birthdays), but pie celebrates much more. Pie celebrates community. Family reunions. Thanksgiving."

A pie is noting more than a backup plan for cake. In terms of a deeper root, a cake provides a sense of family unity. For each birthday party, a cake celebrates the increase in the unity and growth of a family. During a Family reunion, a big, firm, delicious, mouth watering, and colorful dessert is used to celebrate unity and sharing. A cake is bigger thus more accommodating to a big family reunion. In terms of Thanksgiving, a cake is one of the most important dessert. Cake as i mentioned earlier is a cultural bakery used to celebrate the coming together of individuals, the growth of individuals, and the unity of a society.

"Pie is also used in pie-eating contests, showing it is a better competition dessert."

This simply shows you that a pie is noting more than a street food used to quench ones hunger during times of emergencies. A pie in this situation is noting more than a piece of hot dog as it too is a "competitive meal." A cake on the other hand is used for competitions that involves skills, imagination, talent, beauty and expression. A cake allows you to work with so many elements including science. Example, food network challenge.

"Some pie is actually quite firm. We have pumpkin pie, meringues, and hard creams. We also have soft fillings, such as cherry. The soft filling goes down smooth and coats your tongue in deliciousness. From personal experience, I assert that most people earth the crust of a pie, especially a warm, flaky crust that wasn't dried out. "

True however, a pie is still soft without the crust. A cake is much firmer but unlike firm pie's dissolve in your moth easily.

"I would present a further argument for the amazing 'better'-ness of pie. Pie charts. So many businesses are able to utilize pie-charts to quickly and effectively present ideas, increase effectiveness, and earn more money for employees and investors, who can then buy more pie."

This has noting to do with edible pie. It is only called a pie chart because it is circular in nature and has smaller sections.

"Lastly, pie rhymes with more cool words.

Go buy some pie,
It will be so good you could die.
Every day I try,
To visit grandma, for a slice of pie.
My, oh my,
I feel I could fly,
Every time I eat pie!"

This can also be incorporated with cakes.
Go buy some *cake*,
It will be so good you could die.
Every day I try,
To visit grandma, for a slice of *cake*.
My, oh my,
I feel I could fly,
Every time I eat *cake*!

How about this:
I could use a slice of cake
Men, I need me some red velvet cake!
ouuwe, i could use me some Icecream and cake.
Ice cream and cake, cake, cake...Ice cream and Cake!....

On to my opponent original Argument:

"Ease of speaking."

This make no sense, the same goes for cake.
CAKE,CAKE,CAKE...(say it ten times)

The rest I already covered.

Yeah!
TheTruthAnalyst

Pro

Con's source for cake having more flavors is an opinion on a public forum. I will quickly show how invalid this source is. One person responded to Con's quote with the following:

"You can decorate a pie just as much as a cake, if not more. You just don't know how :)
I'm a culinary student, I know these things. "

Not to mention that the entire thread has 17 votes for pie, and 11 votes for cake. Therefore, Con's source points to cake being better according to the public. Pie clearly is more flavorful with the delicious filling oozing across your tongue with every bite. Cake is too often dry, and only good for the frosting.

Pies can be filled with full servings of fruit in each slice. I have never seen a cake that could boast that fact.

I can also show that longer baking time doesn't necessarily mean better food. Everyone has had over-baked cake. Dry, crusty, or even crunchy. Too much time in the oven doesn't make something better, it destroys it.

Pumpkin pie is much more important to thanksgiving. It is a dessert of gratitude, humility, and family unity. Pie is used in eating contests because contestants would be physically ill if they ate that much cake. Too much frosting. And lastly, Con didn't show cake to be more rhymable. Pie is so fly, that I don't have to try to show you why it is my favorite way to get high.(The good, natural kind of high. Not the other kind).

So I will conclude my remarks, reminding each of you of your favorite pie. Not too sweet(like horrible cake frosting), not too dry. Whether you love cherries, apples, berries, pumpkin, lemon, rhubarb, pecans, or any other combination of fillings, pie is clearly the food of humanity. After all, if you cut a pie, does it not bleed?

Bleeds deliciousness! Vote 3.1415927... err...

Vote Pie!
wierdman

Con

" Con's source points to cake being better according to the public. "
His words not mine.

"Pie clearly is more flavorful with the delicious filling oozing across your tongue with every bite. Cake is too often dry, and only good for the frosting."

Imagine this word "oozing", how nasty is it. "Oozing across you tongue" with statements like this, who is to say that the pie isn't a living organism freely moving across your mouth, into your stomach and waiting quietly to kill you from the inside.

A pie is best when it is hot because its crust isn't hard. Now imagine this scenario: You try to eat a pie at its end. First bite and the filling "oozes" across your tongue. Its burning hot, your tongue almost inflamed. You run to sit it out only to find that the filling stuck to your gum. A drink of water and your fine. You go back to finish your diner only to find out that you can no longer taste your food. --- Would you really go through all this pain for something inferior to a nice smooth, delicious cake?

"Pies can be filled with full servings of fruit in each slice. I have never seen a cake that could boast that fact."

A cake can be served with small delicious fruits toppings as well as smooth, creamy ice cream on the side. A delicious combo guaranteed to stimulate your taste buds.

"I can also show that longer baking time doesn't necessarily mean better food. Everyone has had over-baked cake. Dry, crusty, or even crunchy. Too much time in the oven doesn't make something better, it destroys it."

This might be true for all bakery, but the cake is far superior. With only 30 minutes of baking time, it not only holds a shape but transform into a dessert fit for a king.

"Pumpkin pie is much more important to thanksgiving. It is a dessert of gratitude, humility, and family unity. Pie is used in eating contests because contestants would be physically ill if they ate that much cake. Too much frosting. And lastly, Con didn't show cake to be more rhymable. "

Velvet cakes, a delicious, red, fluffy, God fitting dessert is the best dessert when it comes to reunions, personal events and yes even thanksgiving. Might i remind you that cake could go without frosting. A pie on the other hand is noting without its filling.
As for rhyms: Pat-a-Cake, Pat-a-Cake, Baker man, bake me a Cake as fast as you can., Pat it and roll it, and mark it with a B, and put it in the oven for Baby and me. Ones again sharing and unity.

In conclusion, A cake is a friend, an Angel, a guardian. A cake is a not just a desert but a life's necessity. Unlike a Pie, a Cake is soft, fluffy, delicious and stimulating. A diversified kingdom of flavors and types, it provides us with unlimited option. A cake is a desert fitting for God like creatures like Us.

Vote Cake-or suffer the horrid pain of a pie.

Posted by bcresmer 5 years ago
bcresmer
@Nalydmerc
CHESSECAKE RULES!!!!
Just saying..............
Posted by Nalydmerc 5 years ago
Nalydmerc
This debate is epic. xD
Personally, I never really liked cake that much...other than cheesecake, which doesn't really qualify as cake, since it's so different (and better than cake and pie combined. ;D)
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
I dont really like pie all that much... One time at my old school we had this party and it was all about the number pi and we were served pie and it tasted bad.... -_-
Posted by TheTruthAnalyst 5 years ago
TheTruthAnalyst
Thanks tvellalott. I didn't go into savory pies because I know there are cultures that have savory cake... I figured we would stick to the most common meaning(unless Con brought it up :) )
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
RFD: Everything except arguments was even. I went with Pro on arguments, though it was tough. His arguments about cultural importance were better and he made me laugh. I think he could have mentioned that pies have SAVOURY options (the meat pie is the quintessential Australian food) which would have destroyed Con, since cake is exclusively sweet (if it's not sweet, I think it ceases to be a cake). Fun debate guys.
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
Where are all the pictures of delicious pies and cakes, damn it?!
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
I love your conclusion.
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
lol, that was the point.
Posted by TheTruthAnalyst 5 years ago
TheTruthAnalyst
You really got me chuckling when you were talking about pie being a food for emergencies only :D
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
Thanks. I am actually having fun!
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
TheTruthAnalystwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice debate! PRO wins by a bit, but I'm giving sources to CON as mercy..... lol
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
TheTruthAnalystwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was really on the fence about this when I heard the topic, but was quickly convinced by Pro that pie is clearly superior to cake.(:
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 5 years ago
Chrysippus
TheTruthAnalystwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's hard to pick a winner in this one; you both did a great job :) Pie wins by a... crumb, managing to slice ahead of cake with the rhyming argument. Con, you could have pointed out that Cake rhymes with rake and bake and snake and flake and slake and make and outtake; but you didn't, you only rhymed it with cake. Arguments to Pro; all other points tied.
Vote Placed by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
TheTruthAnalystwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: See comments.