JasperFrancisShickadance
Nickpowell

Ping Pong is a Game, not a Sport

JasperFrancisShickadance
Started: 7/2/2014 Category: Games

JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

Ping Pong...
...the art of playing tennis on a table except for the rackets aren't as big, the balls are made of different material, the balls aren't yellow, and they are smaller; the players don't stand on the court to play rather they play standing besides the table. The table has a net in the middle of the table and the objective is to pass the little ball over the net, letting the ball hit the other side but not yours.

I argue that this is not a sport because

1. everything is miniature
2. does not require much athleticism at all as you do not have to move
3 does not require teamwork
4. does not require strategy

All rounds are rebuttals.

LET THE DEBATING BEGIN!
Nickpowell

Con

I thank you for putting this argument on and look forward to a fantastic debate. As you have not given a definition of "sport" I took the liberty of doing it.
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Ping pong involves both physical exertion as you have to move your arms and dive for the ball on occasion. And it certainly requires skill as people who have never played it are usually terrible and the professionals can hit and return the ball at tremendous speeds. In response to your 4 arguments why it is isn't a sport. Firstly the fact that everything is smaller than tennis doesn't make it miniature and if it was I do not see why that would matter. Secondly it does require athleticism as you have to lunge forward if your opponent drop shots you or hits it really hard and you have stand backwards. Thirdly you are right it doesn't require teamwork but neither does tennis, squash, chess, gymnastic or swimming . And it actually can be played in doubles just like tennis, and swimming. And tun response to your last comment it does require strategy as you have to know when to drops shot your opponent or know hen to hit it extremely hard or play the ball into the corners. I look forward to your return argument.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

The most common thing that comes to my mind when I think of the word 'sport' is someone with long legs who has sweat on his forehead and is running. Practically every traditional sport (such as baseball, softball, basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, and tennis) requires running and a lot of the time there is sweat involved. That's what all those official sports have in common: hard work. Do Ping Pong players work hard? All you can say is that they have good hand-eye coordination because this is the only thing that wins them their game. If they do not see the ball then they do not know where to put their hands. That's the only thing you need to have in the game of Ping Pong because you do not have to run a lot nor be very active, thus I will only call it a game and if ANYTHING, I would call it a lazy sport.

Here is a quote that someone on ESPN wrote [1]:
"Table Tennis is not a sport. It is more of a hobby. Sure its in the Olympics, so is diving and a lot of other hobbies people have."

To add on to what this person said, I will mention the fact that though table tennis players wear sweatbands (!) they are doing it for 1) show, and 2) they are not in shape.

Also, is it not fancy for 'miniature' when you call it "Table Tennis?" Ping Pong is derived from the REAL sport of 'tennis,' and tennis DOES require you to move around on a huge court, dive for the ball, plus have hand-eye coordination! And even some tennis players don't wear sweatbands!

Knowing that Ping Pong requires some skill does not make it a real sport. I picked the game up quite nicely myself, after watching my family play and then playing about 3 games. Then I beat everyone from then on. A real sport you cannot just pick up and learn right away. Besides that, it you can't have a plan or a strategy ready before playing a game of Table Tennis; it is all instinct that you can't prepare for therefore skill is not strategy. And, as I already said, you need to have strategy for a game to become an official sport (in my opinion). But do you not agree? You cannot plan (strategy means plan something in order to achieve your goal) what is going to happen therefore you cannot have a strategy in the game of Ping Pong.

Without further ado I will also state the fact that Table-Tennis is a terrible spectator game/sport [2], whatever you want to call it, it is not easy to watch on TV or in an arena because the ball goes so fast and is so small. So besides me arguing that it is not an official sport, I also argue that Ping Pong is not a good spectator game either. It's hard to argue with that.

SOURCES
[1] http://www.instructables.com...
[2] http://www.tabletennisdb.com...
[3] http://www.google.com...
Nickpowell

Con

Your definition of sport is your opinion and I respect it but don't agree with it. We aren't debating if ping pong was a "traditional " sport we were debating if it is a sport. I am completely certain that professional ping pong players practice every day for long periods of time and if you take the time to watch the games they do sweat. Cricketers also have good hand eye coordination . As in everything ping pong players have to hone their talents. Ping pong players do have to run as I said earlier because their opponent drop shots them and plays the ball from corner to corner. If it is only a game why is it in the Olympics? First of all you call it a game but now a lazy Sport which you were saying it definitely wasn't at the start. Please make this more clear.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

JasperFrancisShickadance forfeited this round.
Nickpowell

Con

Extend all arguements..
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

I forfeited because I only intended to do 3 Rounds (sorry I forgot to tell you in the opening round). Please FF (forgive forfeiture)!!!

So the definition of sport no longer has to do with tradition? Everything NOW that is a definite and obvious "sport" is such not only because of the characteristics of teamwork and athleticism but the tradition which has remained. [1]

I have already given my reasons for why Ping Pong players do not...
-give physical exertion
-it is only instinct, if anything players need to have hand-eye coordination: for sure they don't need skill!

And, as the definition gives, a sport is something that MUST be done for the ENTERTAINMENT OF OTHERS. I have also already given reasons why Table Tennis is an awful spectator sport and, in most cases, boring to watch too.

My opponent: "If it is only a game why is it in the Olympics?" As I said earlier, diving is in the Olympics, but it is more of a hobby (just like the game of Ping Pong) rather than an actual sport--in my opinion, diving isn't a sport OR a game. But that's a conversation for another time.

I said it could be a lazy sport but that does not mean it qualifies for (yes, a TRADITIONAL) sport. [2]

Ping Pong, in my presence, could be called a non-traditional/lazy sport but I wouldn't allow it to be ranked any higher than that because when you have sports like baseball and basketball, can you possibly put Ping Pong up there at the same level of sport?! That would be disappointing. [3]

SOURCES
[1] http://www.google.com...
[2] http://www.sodahead.com...
[3] http://wiki.answers.com...
Nickpowell

Con

Nickpowell forfeited this round.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
In ping pong you barely break a sweat.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
And I meant to say
'everything is miniature tennis'
JasperFrancisShickadance
'vague' and 'subjective' have opposite meanings, you know.
Posted by Forte 2 years ago
Forte
Pro's definition of "sport" is waaaaay to vague and subjective to make for a strong argument. He presents the composition/division fallacy in saying that "traditional" sports share certain similarities, and that anything that doesn't share these similarities is automatically not a sport. He also uses criteria that are almost unheard of in classifying a sport (i.e. entertainment value for spectators, existence of running and/or sweat, etc.)
JasperFrancisShickadance
was out of town and couldn't get on ddo, darnnit FF!
Posted by Ja50n 2 years ago
Ja50n
nice pickup on pro's arguments Con :D
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
ArcTImes
1. everything is miniature
That's not a reason lol.

https://www.youtube.com...
Your argument is invalid.

3 does not require teamwork.
https://www.youtube.com...
Your argument is invalid

4. does not require strategy
It actually require the same strategy as "big" tennis. Tactics may differ from one sport to the other.
Still, invalid https://www.youtube.com...
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
JasperFrancisShickadanceNickpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's round 2 aarguments were relatively weak. Pro's sources combined with the fact that she used 2 rounds for arguments and con only using one, leads to an overwhemling pro victory.