Pink Floyd is the Greatest Band ever.

Started: 10/10/2012 Category: Arts

The lyrics, The music ...its all so arousing.!

I accept Pro's challenge to refute his claim that "Pink Floyd is the Greatest Band ever".

Before I would begin, I would like Pro to defend on this resolve on why Pink Floyd is the greatest band ever.
Then, my rebuttals will come next after that.

I wish him the best.

Distinguished by their use of philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, and elaborate live shows, they are one of the most commercially successful and musically influential groups in the history of popular music.

Pink Floyd maybe "one of the most commercially successful and musically influential groups in the history of popular music." they are certainly not the greatest. The Beatles are..

Here are 20 reason why the Beatles are or should be the greatest band, to date, ever.

" During the week of April 4, 1964, The Beatles occupied the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart (12 in the Hot 100), the top 2 positions on the albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, " the most complete domination of the British and American charts in history. Today, you"re lucky to have one top 10 album and single at the same time.
To date, the Beatles have sold over 1 billion records. That"s billion, with a B.
They have the most no. 1 albums in the British album charts (15), and 17 No. 1 hits.
They hold the record for the group with the longest span between no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001). In 2000 " 20 years after John Lennon was killed, their greatest hits compilation, 1, spent eight weeks at no. 1 and sold 13 million copies in its first month of release.
They boast 20 No. 1 hits in the United States, (19 No. 1 albums), with 24 consecutive Top 10 hits from 1964 to 1976 (six years after they broke up), a record for a group. They also have 12 no. 1 hits in Germany, 23 in Australia, 21 in the Netherlands, 22 in Canada, and 13 in Malaysia.
According to the United World Chart, the Beatles have 16 of the 100 most successful tracks of all time, and also 7 of the 100 most successful albums in history.
The Beatles recorded four of the Top 10 Greatest Albums of All Time, according to Rolling Stone magazine, and three of the Top Five. (I will ignore the fact that Abbey Road was only No. 14. Blasphemy.)
They were ground-breaking pioneers almost from the beginning, being the first group ever to employ feedback in 1964′s "I Feel Fine." One of their first hits, "A Hard Day"s Night," features an opening chord so revolutionary that people are still trying to figure out. 1965′s Rubber Soul and the follow-up, Revolver, saw more innovation, from the use of a sitar in "Norwegian Wood" to tape loops in "Tomorrow Never Knows." Then there are the backwards vocals in "Rain" (a first) and a Moog synthesizer on several songs on 1969′s Abbey Road.
Sgt. Pepper"s Lonely Heart"s Club Band is arguably the greatest album ever made (indeed, it topped Rolling Stone"s list). While it doesn"t have the strongest material, the album was a landmark in recording. It popularized the concept album " something that would serve as inspiration to The Who and Pink Floyd.
"A Day in the Life" from Sgt. Pepper may have been the crowning achievement of the group " a five and a half minute song composed of two suites " one by Lennon, one by Paul McCartney " that are totally different in sound and texture, yet complement each other perfectly. The song features two cacophonous crescendos from an orchestra, the final one climaxing in a single E major piano chord that lasts 42 seconds.
One may not like songs such as "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude," but they are unrivaled in their popularity, and the melodies are unforgettable.
Paul McCartney actually dreamed the tune to "Yesterday."
"Helter Skelter" and "I Want You (She"s So Heavy)" are considered two of the first heavy metal songs.
They have 23 of the Top 500 songs of all time, again according to Rolling Stone - the most of any artist.
Their iconic No. 1 singles notwithstanding ("Love Me Do", "From Me to You", "She Loves You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Can"t Buy Me Love", "A Hard Day"s Night", "I Feel Fine", "Eight Days a Week", "Ticket to Ride", "Help!", "Yesterday", "Day Tripper", "We Can Work It Out", "Paperback Writer", "Yellow Submarine", "Eleanor Rigby", "Penny Lane", "All You Need Is Love", "Hello, Goodbye", "Lady Madonna", "Hey Jude", "Get Back", "The Ballad of John and Yoko", "Something", "Come Together", "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road"), some of their best songs weren"t even on any singles or B-sides: "I Should Have Known Better," "You Won"t See Me," "For No One," "Across the Universe," "Two of Us," "Dear Prudence," and "Because" are all just album filler.
They revolutionized the science of recording, using multiple tracks instead of playing live. Producer George Martin used varying tape speeds to make Lennon"s voice sound high ("Tomorrow Never Knows") and slow ("Strawberry Fields Forever"); he also brought in string musicians to accompany certain songs ("Yesterday"). In another session, McCartney utilized bass drums halfway down a corridor to achieve a staccato sound in "Mother Nature"s Son."
In an age where other people wrote songs for the flavor of the day " think the Brill Building songwriters doing all the work for the Shangri-Las and the Dixie Cups " The Beatles surprised everyone by penning their own hits from the beginning. As a result, they helped usher the singer-songwriter movement that popularized the late 1960s.
Their ability to cross over from media and teen idols to musical innovators is one-of-a-kind. Their chart success is unparalleled; but despite their popularity, they managed to continue to improve throughout their career.
Their place in popular culture is unrivaled " Their movies, their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (in which they played to 74 million people), the "bigger than Jesus" comment, the refusal to play in concert after 1966, the Maharishi, the painstaking production work, the beginnings of the drug culture and LSD fad, "Helter Skelter" and Charles Manson, the "Paul is Dead" phenomenon, Yoko Ono, the rooftop concert, the cover of Abbey Road, the subsequent solo years, and the hit singles created from rough demos of the late Lennon.
They accomplished all this in seven years."

The Beatles were the first old school band I checked out. I liked them very much and still do. Pink Floyd was an old school band I had not given a chance for a long time. I decided to give them a listen and man they were so ahead of their time. I know people are going to say that without The Beatles there would be no Pink Floyd (btw not true). But without Bob Dylan there would be no Beatles.

If you compare The Beatles albums to Dark Side Of The Moon (consider the time frame is about the same) Pink Floyd is much more ahead of their time.

I respect The Beatles and their album The Revolver is a classic in my mind but Pink Floyd was just much more ahead of their time. The Beatles never actually invented styles. They simple made the underground styles famous. Pink Floyd along with King Crimson changed the whole game.

If you have a quality pair of headphones and have listened to Dark Side Of The Moon you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

Dark Side Of The Moon could literally be released today and it would be considered a classic.

Can't say the same thing about Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (John said this was their worst album. Very overrated album in that it wasn't even the first concept album. Pet Sounds was the first concept album).

In reality I can't really say any of The Beatles albums if released today would be considered great. They were great for their time.

Dark Side Of The Moon could be released today and be considered a classic.

Now that is just amazing.

Now you may give your opinion.

I have noticed that everything Pro wrote was a copy-paste from Opeth's Wine on Yahoo! Answers.

Here is the exact article:

He didn't gave any recognition to such source, thus Pro has committed the act of plagiarism. Plagiarism being defined by Wikipedia as, "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work".

Such act will not be tolerated.

I should win by default.

This debate is not a matter of winning or losing.

Source maybe whatever , its the matter which i believe in. I am not sure if you are aware of this quote by Pablo Picasso "Good artists copy, great artists steal".
Which is besides the point.

The debate was about which band being the greatest, and here i see that you have managed successfully to drift the topic . And now it seems to me that you chose to go after the legality of my matter as you have run short of points.

so if you are done with defining words and telling the voters why you should win by default, i suggest we may move on with the debate.

It is such a great disappointment that Pro even defended his case of "Plagiarism" instead of asking for an apology. He tries to emphasize a quote from Picasso, which is, irrelevant unto his case of defending the act he committed.

No where in the debate did I divert the topic until Pro committed "Plagiarism". It was a big slap in my face, as I devoted minutes of research to counter his argument and found one article that is completely the same with Pro's.

Regardless, to continue this debate about the "greatest band ever" isn't the priority anymore. It is about the debater's stance in question here. Did he show honesty? By committing "Plagiarism, nope, it is not. Did he show respect? I was hoping for an apology but I received a bogus reply. Also, by committing this act, he showed no respect to his opponent.

For the sake of this debate, I will close my arguments in R5 and 'maybe' still refute his 'stolen idea'.

Dear con,
I am sorry if i broke your heart.
When I first joined this site,as the name suggests,i was hoping some real debating,with huge amount of fun as i am a debating fan.
But my first debate itself ,you have managed to completely ruin it by cribbing about small things that do not matter.
Thank you for a really wonderful first experience.

For what looks to be an interesting debate, had not Con been disrespectful this debate would have gone nicely. I think I have done what needs to be done. Vote Con.
Posted by haert09 4 years ago
Hello My Dear,
I am well pleased to contact you after viewing your profile today through my mail contact mail address is
hamisikipkalye(at)yahoo(dot)com) give me your mail for easy contact send it directly to my mail box now and i will add you ok
God bless you.
Yours friend.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism is not a "small thing that doesn't matter", and no -- you don't get a free pass just because it's your first time. But hey, if this debate really isn't about winning or losing (as ishaan claims) then he won't have any objection to my vote.