L3v1A5h3
Taylor.Gregory

Placing veterans at schools to stop mass shootings instead of gun laws

Taylor.Gregory

L3v1A5h3

Pro

I believe we should. hundreds of unemployed veterans are looking for a job, and placing 2 or 3 at each school will not only drop unemployment, but also allow them the joy to protecting children again.

another plus, is that gun laws restrict people, and lets face it. if your a criminal, you tend to not follow laws. abolishing gun laws will decrease the number of criminals with a gun. and better yet, if a criminal is threatening a person's life, or his family's lives, the citizen can then protect his own life and his family's by drawing his gun. the criminal would fear for his own life, and not kill.

these are just my views, I'd love to hear your guys'.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

While I see your point, the idea that placing veterans as armed guards in school is slightly flawed.

It would not drastically affect unemployment numbers. While the number of veterans being employed would increases, the security guards who would have had the job before hand would be displaced, thus simply changing who is employed and who is unemployed.

While I agree that overbearing gun laws can be restricting, some gun laws serve a decent purpose. Like paying a fee to own a fully automatic or high power weapon, background checks of those purchasing firearms, and waiting periods on handguns. While there are ways around such regulations, these laws are a bit hard to break as a dealer shouldn't sell a firearm to some one who doesn't pass background checks or without the correct stamp to own a specific firearm. Yes there are loopholes to the laws, but placing vets at schools are guards won't close these loopholes.

Your statement about criminals endangering the lives of others is all fine and dandy, but I feel it doesn't fit into the topic of the debate itself.

Personally, I don't think the answer to school shootings is "more guns," nor do I feel the a "good guy with a gun" is the only way to stop a "bad guy with a gun," instead the focus should not be on stoping mass shootings as they unfold, but rather preventing the bad guy from getting his gun, thusly letting the good guy keep his put away.
L3v1A5h3

Pro

while your point in stating that gun stores shouldn't sell the gun if they don't pass the background check is true, that doesn't mean that they will not though. there is more than one way in obtaining a gun.

And with your point about the school security, they sometimes don't security, or even enough at some schools. and if they do have enough, then you can always have the security staff watch the inside of the school, and place the veterans outside of the school.

And as for the abolishing gun laws, I meant to express to abolish some of them, not all.
I still feel that there should be enough gun laws to where you have to apply and such. but none that restricts that of below what the army is currently using, and where it cant allow guns over 400 yards range.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
L3v1A5h3

Pro

L3v1A5h3 forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
L3v1A5h3

Pro

L3v1A5h3 forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
L3v1A5h3

Pro

L3v1A5h3 forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by SloppyJoe6412 3 years ago
SloppyJoe6412
L3v1A5h3Taylor.GregoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not much of a debate here since most rounds were forfeited... anyway I think there a serious flaw in Pro's position, and that is assuming that Veterans are reliable life protectors. Veterans are merely ex soldiers. Some of them may be great persons, some may be criminals, and some will be somewhere in between. Giving ANY of them a gun to protect our kids is a bone chilling idea.