brian_eggleston
Wierdkp326

Plans to introduce car-sharing lanes on motorways should be abandoned.

brian_eggleston

Pro

Plans are afoot in Britain to introduce dedicated lanes on motorways (freeways) that would be for the sole use of vehicles conveying more than one person, known in the US, where they already exist, as Multi-Occupancy Lanes (MOL's).

Here is a list of people who would benefit from MOL's.

* Housewives sharing a car to drive to an out-of-town shopping centre to kill some time browsing around the shops
* Mega-toffs, ultra-orthodox snobs and other particularly posh people travelling in chauffeur-driven limousines
* Blow-up doll salesmen with inflated product samples in the passenger seat
* Cells of Jihadi suicide bombers on their way to commit terrorist atrocities
* Pimps transporting their cargos of prostitutes
* Gangsters with their molls
* Snakeheads people-trafficking illegal migrant workers
* Paedophiles driving abducted children to secluded locations
* Colleagues sharing a car to go to work

Here is a list of people that would suffer from MOL's

* Business people on their way to important meetings that could secure valuable jobs
* Doctors on their way to non-emergency appointments
* People visiting dying relatives
* Radio and television presenters running late for live shows

I would suggest that the latter group of road users are at least equally deserving as the former and therefore the proposed priority lanes on motorways are ill conceived.
Wierdkp326

Con

oh brian, you must understand that MOL's are wonderful tools!
Your list was a little light on who benefits from these wonderful MOL's, so allow me to add to it.

*Groups of college guys trying to pick up the cute housewives
*Hippies in volkswagons driving to their next rave
*Jack Bauer and whoever he has kidnapped in the upcoming season of 24
*The grey bomb squad vans trying to stop jihadi bombers
*Contractors carrying the illegal immigrants they found at home depot to their next construction job
*The detectives in every cop movie you'll ever see
*Families on a vacation

Without these MOL's, crime will take longer to both start AND stop, and hippies will spend an extra 5 minutes on the road before parking their butts on someone's couch!

Let's talk about who really suffers from the MOL's
*Your grandmother, who is too old to drive but doesnt want to fork over her license. She goes on a 65MPH highway (I dont know the conversion to Kilometers, my apologies) and drives 40MPH, wasting my time and everyone else's by backing up a lane of traffic.
*The guy with a midlife crisis who bought a car too young for his age and has a new haircut to show. He should be driving slower so people can see how desperate he has become and mock him for it.

In the end, the choice is clear, people driving alone suck. All they do is take up precious square footage on the road and create potential accidents. We live in a society that needs to move faster, and with more people getting together and carpooling, everything get's better. The doctor, the businessman, the grieving family, all of them need to learn to either leave earlier, or get a friend!
brian_eggleston

Pro

Hello Wierdkp326, thanks for taking up the debate!

You are right - I did miss some beneficiaries of MOL's off my list.

You wrote:

"Groups of college guys trying to pick up the cute housewives…(and)…Hippies in volkswagons driving to their next rave "

Sorry, I forgot about sex-starved students pursuing married women and partying Goths in their arse-engined Nazi staff cars!

You also mentioned

"Contractors carrying the illegal immigrants they found at home depot to their next construction job"

Isn't Home Depot great? You can get everything there. My local branch in Florida sells loads of cool stuff, even garden tractors! I had no idea, however, that they could provide a migrant worker to drive it for you as well!

Still, I'm not convinced their interests outweigh those of the sufferers. You went on to write:

"Your grandmother, who is too old to drive but doesnt want to fork over her license. She goes on a 65MPH highway (I dont know the conversion to Kilometers, my apologies) and drives 40MPH, wasting my time and everyone else's by backing up a lane of traffic."

At the risk of sounding pedantic, although the rest of Europe uses kph, the UK uses mph like the US. Oh, and the speed limit is 70mph! (Rule of thumb conversion, by the way, is 8 km = 5 miles so the old biddy driving at 40 mph will be doing about 65kph).

You make a very good point, though. There are too many coffin-dodgers crawling along the highways, peering out of the bi-focal windscreens of their Honda Civics, totally oblivious of the mayhem they are causing behind them.

Luckily however, the adverse effects of these perambulating pensioners' protracted progress is mitigated by them having to drive in the slow lane thus allowing normal traffic to get past relatively unhindered.

"Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. [Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9 & 16(1)(a), MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 14(1)(a), and RTA 1988, sects 35 & 186, as amended by TMA 2004 sect 6]" - Excerpt from The Highway Code

Imagine though, that you got stuck behind one of these dawldling old duffers and the lane to the right (remember you overtake on the right in the UK) is a MOL. That's it, you would just have to sit there and watch all the cars full of housewife-stalking students and sandal-wearing peace freaks whizz by.

You continued:

"The guy with a midlife crisis who bought a car too young… should be driving slower so people can see how desperate he has become and mock him for it."

Is this advice? If I was having a mid-life crisis I think I should ignore it!

To conclude you wrote:

"…people driving alone suck. All…of them need to…get a friend!"

Wierdkp326, there are some people on debate.org whose only friends are online debaters with convoluted monikers and wacky avatars. Are they to be punished for being lonely by being forced to trundle along the motorways behind old crones in motorised bath chairs? Do you think they are going to vote for you now that you've insulted them like that?!
Wierdkp326

Con

Thank you, Brian, for informing me about that. I didn't know UK used MPH. Very cool. I sort of attributed driving on the wrong side of the road (From an American's perspective) and KPH as kind of a universal standard in Europe (including UK).

Yeah, it's not uncommon for migrant workers to get day labor outside of our big box retailers, maybe it's an America thing. Also, in CT, the highways have tighter lanes and more turns, so the speed limit is only 65MPH for highways, in other states, there are better roads that often have about 70MPH for a speed limit, particularly out west.

I digress.

In the end, the choice seems pretty clear. Forget the environmental benefits to creating carpooling incentives, let's go straight for the practical. More people travel the same roads faster. less worrying that when new lanes will be built, or the traffic caused as a result of it, simply a change in function.

This change encourages people to do what is inherently a good thing, carpool. In time, I'm sure you and I will be able to encounter new groups of drivers that we love or hate who will enjoy these carpooling lanes, but this is simply a sign of the government making changes that improve nearly everyone's lives.

For those who drive alone, their days are numbered as more and more lanes demand multiple passengers. If this is what it takes to encourage people to get friends, then an MOL is just what this society needs. We need to encourage a society with people communicating frequently and wanted to stick together. MOL's create a sense of cohesion (the kind that can only be separated when someone leaves the car, or farts with the windows rolled up).

As for your assertion that many debate.org viewers don't have friends, I think that our fellow readers would be offended at your gesture that they are lonely. If they feel like they are being "forced" to make friends, then I shall gladly be one to them. But don't vote for me just because you want to be my friend, that's creepy. Vote for whoever you believe is truly being compelling (me), and I shall respect your choice...and be your friend!
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
ATTENTION EVERYONE INTERESTED IN ONLINE DEBATE TOURNAMENTS:

There is a group on facebook (Online Debate Tournaments) that is holding debate tournaments and a new one is about to start with 2 different types of debate! (Policy and LD)... Anyone interested, please join the facebook group and sign up by July 24th, 2008 (10:00 P.M. Central) on the discussion board "Tournament 2 Sign Up" (more details are in the discussion board)... The site that we are debating on is www.debate.org so be sure to have an account. It's absolutely FREE to enter so sign up today!

Sincerely, Luke Cumbee
Posted by Wierdkp326 8 years ago
Wierdkp326
I couldnt resist, no one else was taking this one up! :-)
Posted by Wierdkp326 8 years ago
Wierdkp326
oh, this is wonderful! I'll have to pass on this one, but it's sure to be good.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Seems like not many people are interested in my obscure status-of-Gibraltar debate (aren't there any outraged Spanish nationalists on here?)so here's one that is a bit more light hearted!
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Then why didypu vet con? Counter!
Vote Placed by Willoweed 5 years ago
Willoweed
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Car sharing lanes are a good idea
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by righteous-reply 8 years ago
righteous-reply
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by Wierdkp326 8 years ago
Wierdkp326
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by lorca 8 years ago
lorca
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied
Vote Placed by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
brian_egglestonWierdkp326Tied