d3bator
TheCookingCardsman

Platypus' are actually birds, not mammals because the have bills.

TheCookingCardsman

d3bator

Pro

Platypus are not mammals. It is extremely clear that platypus are not mammals and are in fact birds that have evolved to swim. This is shown through their beak, no other mammal has a beak therefore it can not be possible for a platypus to be a mammal.
I believe platypus have evolved over time because some birds are scared of heights and therefore would prefer to swim.
TheCookingCardsman

Con

My opponent's argument here is that Platypus' are birds. As Con, my burden of proof is to prove that Platypus' are not birds.

First of all, I would like to note a small contridiction stated in his argument, and in the title.

In his argument, he writes, "This is shown through their beak, no other mammal has a beak therefore it can not be possible for a platypus to be a mammal."

In his title he states, "Platypus' are actually birds, not mammals because the have bills."

In his title his justification is because they have bills, in his argument it's because they have a beak.

His title is correct, but his argument is wrong. A platypus does not have a beak, it has a bill. Since his argument assumes that a Platypus has a beak, the entire argument falls.

Now that i've proven his whole argument false, I will prove why a Platypus is infact a mammal.

A mammal has the following characteristics [1]:

1. All mammals are warm blooded.
2. Most young are born alive.
3. They have hair or fur on their bodies
4. Every mammal is a vertebrate.
5. All mammals have lungs to breathe air.
6. Mammals feed milk to their babies.

1a. A platypus is warm blooded [2]
2a. A platypus is born alive (I think this is super obvious, which is why I didn't include a source)
3a. A platypus has fur on their bodies when it is born [3]
4a. A platypus has a vertebre [4]
5a. A platypus has lungs [5]
6a. A platypus feeds milk to it's babies [6]

Please vote Con, as Pro has absolutely no evidence to back up his claim, and his thinking is very irrational.
d3bator

Pro

The con argument is trying to pick up on a simple mistake, platypus' have bills and not beaks.
The con argument has flawed himself, he did not include a reference regarding the reproduction of platypus' and is actually wrong. They lay eggs exactly like other birds, (1)
Platypus also have webbed feet much like other birds. (2) It is obvious that platypus are birds.

(1) http://australianmuseum.net.au...
(2) http://www.livescience.com...
TheCookingCardsman

Con

Pro states, "The lay eggs, just like other birds."

Just because something lays eggs doesn't mean it's a bird. Snakes lay eggs [1], and they aren't birds.

Characteristiscs of a bird [2]:
  • Feathers! All birds have feathers.
  • Birds have a backbone. They are vertebrates.
  • All birds are warm-blooded. They can regulate their body temperature.
  • Female birds lay eggs. Their young develop inside of the egg.
  • Birds have wings, but not all birds use them to fly. Penguins and ostriches are examples of birds that do not fly.

A Platypus doesn't have all of the features required to be considered a beard. First of all, a platypus doesn't have feathers, it has fur. Next, all birds have wings - Platypus don't have wings.

I can't tell if this is a troll debate or not, but please vote Con in the name of science; our classification system has been perfected over the years, and this guy seriousy thinks that a platypus is bird.

[1] http://news.nationalgeographic.com...;

[2] http://www.nwf.org...;
d3bator

Pro

You are so wrong in so many ways.
Platypus' have feathers. Their fur is actually made of of hundreds of thousands on tiny feathers creating the illusion of feathers.
You also seemed to avoid my valid point that platypus' are actually birds that are afraid of heights. Their wings have evolved over time to that of webbed 'feet' however they are scientifically classified at wings. I am from Australia and have personally witnessed a platypus fly for a short period of time. much like a chicken flying... it's limited.

Finally you stated "A Platypus doesn't have all of the features required to be considered a beard." However we are not debating whether or not Platypus have beards because it is clear that they do, we are actually debating that they are birds. You have brought beards into this because you have realised the short fall in your argument and are trying to distract me and the voters from your weak argument.
It is obvious that platypus are birds.
TheCookingCardsman

Con

Pro states, "Platypus' have feathers. Their fur is actually made of of hundreds of thousands on tiny feathers creating the illusion of feathers."

He has no source on this, and it's invalid. I presented a source previously that Platypus' did have fur.

A bird DOES NOT HAVE TO FLY! it just needto HAVE WINGS. A platypus does not have wings. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry that I had a typo. I meant to type in "A Platypus doesn't have all of the features required to be considered a bird."

But I accidently typed in "A Platypus doesn't have all of the features required to be considered a beard"

It's my fault for the typo, but I think it's obvious what I was saying.

I should Win this deabte, and it's plainly obvious why. Please vote Con!
Posted by ShikenNuggets 2 years ago
ShikenNuggets
Good thing to remember in a debate, all birds lay eggs but not all things that lay eggs are birds. There is a term for this logical fallacy, but I can't seem to remember what it is.
Posted by StarHunter 2 years ago
StarHunter
I don't know what that silly creature is. Platypus just said FU to evolution.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Where is the missing link that the platypus should have? I think the platypus like the ostrich shows God has a sense of humor.Or the kangaroo.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
a platypuses is the only mammal to produce venom, or maybe it's a snake. Creationist hate the platypuses because it's one of the dreaded transitional creatures. As key evidence for evolution and species' gradual change over time, transitional creatures should resemble intermediate species, having skeletal and other body features in common with two distinct groups of animals, such as reptiles and mammals, or fish and amphibians. It's kind of like Kirk Cameron's crocoduck.
Posted by TheCookingCardsman 2 years ago
TheCookingCardsman
Yes that is correct. A platypus is a special type of mammal called a Monotreme. There are only 5 mammals on the planet that lay eggs and are considered mammals; the platypus and 4 species of echidna.
Posted by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
Actually platypuses lay eggs.
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 2 years ago
RainbowDash52
d3batorTheCookingCardsmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's only argument that could have confirmed that platypuses were birds was the tiny feathers argument, but Con pointed out that no sources were given to support that claim. Thus Pro failed to fulfill burden of proof. Con loses spelling because of the bird beard typo.