norris.fung
AkashOne

Play V.S Homework in Hong Kong schools

norris.fung

Pro

I think that the children in Hong Kong schools should have more time to play because they need to do about 7 pieces of homework on average per day. Mostly are from Chinese, English, Mathematics and General studies. It is also quite useless although you gave a lot of homework because some children from Hong Kong schools receive about 10 pieces of homework and still got a rank of C. If the homework won't improve test scores, what's the point of distributing and doing a lot of homework?

The second issue I want to talk about is stress. Parent's expectations of their child is very high, so children will have pressure about the expectations from their parents and their stress from the homework.

The best way to get rid of stress is play. Play can help you to forget your stress. Once I was really stress about the homework, but after 20-30 minutes of play, (Not playing video games) my stress went away so I can concentrate with my work.

Another good thing about play is that you can learn. Play is a social activity. You can go and explore and create new things so you can learn something. You can also know new friends too.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, I think children in Hong Kong schools should have more time to play.

Most info. from SCMP
AkashOne

Con

I may have to disagree with you. Take for instance, arranged marriages. It's practically a custom. It has been for 1000s of years. You might very well contend that people should have the liberty to choose their own spouse, fall in love with whoever they like. But, that's just it. We can exert no more influence on schools in Hong Kong to have 'play time' than we can with arranged marriages.

We live in a very competitive economy. Always struggling and fighting to be at the top. So, then you will need to excel and aspire much higher than the rest of the world. Look at the occupations of citizens from those countries. Much of them are high-paying doctors and businessmen. They want the best for their children, and so they feel the need to do what they do.

I understand what you mean by play. Some kids probably like to play, and I can very well make note of that. A better argument might be to have 'vacation days' as I'm sure they may have less of those.
norris.fung

Pro

norris.fung forfeited this round.
AkashOne

Con

The point of distributing a fairly unequal, and heavy amount of homework, the intention is that the kids will get better. Better grades may meet a parent's expectations, but play time will certainly win their disapproval. There's a certain upward and successful trend that Hong Kong wants to follow, and part of that is breeding smart students. While playing can certainly reduce stress and help relax the brain, we have to understand that this topic is more subjective towards cultures.

To better expain my point, consider the following link: http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org...

To summarize, the U.S. is at a great competitive disadvantage. According to the article, kids over there don't spend any more time at school than kids over here. Yet, their scores and skills far exceed the average american student. The culture is more orientated on learning than say taking a 'mid-winter break' followed by 'spring' and 'summer breaks'. 60% of students go to additional classes for lessons. They spend only 2 HOURS A DAY watching TV and less than an hour on spending time with their peers. So, it's not just the schools. Partly, students want to spend more time learning through education than play.
norris.fung

Pro

norris.fung forfeited this round.
AkashOne

Con

AkashOne forfeited this round.
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
work*
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
An important thing to consider is who you are comparing the worth ethics of Hong Kong students with. If you are basing your ideals upon the worth ethics of United States, for example, your argument would be thoroughly weakened due to the poor performance rates in schools that students are showing nationwide. So should this debate be about which nation has the best balance of work ethics or what entails achieving that balance in the first place?
Posted by Taylur 2 years ago
Taylur
I don't know much information about this so I can't accept, but news reports in the UK claim that China's poorest kids are doing better in mathematics than Britain's most affluent kids... so maybe the homework is paying off in Hong Kong.