bloocoat
TeenagerX

Playing Goalkeeper in Soccer is more difficult and high-pressured than that of an NFL Quarterback

Started: 9/5/2015 Category: Sports

bloocoat

Pro

FIrst round is for acceptance.
TeenagerX

Con

I accept. However, I'm a bit dazzled by Pro's claim. Does Pro mean being a goal keeper in the game of soccer is more rigourous and exhausting than that of an NFL quarterback or that the position of goal keeper is more important in the game of soccer relative to the position a quarterback plays in a football game?

I'm assuning the latter, and unless Pro clarifies himself, I will be assuming that this debate is about Which position, between Goal Keeper and Quarterback, plays a more significant role in securing victory for the team.

Vote Con.

bloocoat

Pro

I was saying in general which is more difficult in general, but that is a good point, so we will roll with both.
Argument 1: Goalkeepers are held more responsible for losing than any other person on the team, excluding a few cases where a defender puts the winner in the wrong goal. As a quarterback, if you complete 19 of 20 passes, that is a very good percentage. Most people assume that the quarterback is very skilled. Which he can be. But if a goalkeeper stops all the shots but one, he/she will most likely be blamed for the loss (excluding Tim Howard). As a goalkeeper myself, I feel the pressure of keeping my team in the game, and it's hard to do.

Argument 2: Goalkeepers must be ready to make a play in a moment's notice. Quarterbacks drive their team down the field in successive plays, whereas a goalkeeper can go 85 minutes without touching the ball and then come up with a big save. Again, if that one shot scores, the goalkeeper will be blamed for not making the save.

Good Luck Con
TeenagerX

Con

I would like to thank Pro for the clarification before I state my points and rebuttals.

I have several counterclaims.

1. It is far more difficult, as well as requires more skill, to play Quarterback than Goal Keeper.

2. The quarterback has more of an impact in the game of football than the goal keeper has in the game of soccer.

I'll introduce my second point first, I ran out of characters before when I was explaining the difference in skill between the two positions.

Alright, CC #2 - QB has a more direct impact on a game than GK.

The goal of any sport is to win, how do you win? By accumulating points. I argue that a QB has more value in a game because it's mainly thanks to the QB that offenses in football score points (touchdowns) and thus win games. Unlike QBs, however, Gks do nothing for most of the game as Pro stated. They are only valuable when defending against goals. Defenders have the same role as GKs making the position of Gk somewhat obsolete. I don't have any more characters for rebuttals.

bloocoat

Pro

Ever heard the saying, "Defense wins championships,"? Well it does. Quarterbacks only impact the game on one side of the ball, whereas goalkeepers are the last line of defence, and first line of offence. One-on-one opportunity. Keeper with the save. They immediatly look to start a counter attack the other way. As soon as the offence fails to convert on a first down, or turns the ball over, the quarterback comes off of the field and hopes the defence stops the opposing team. In soccer, the goalkeeper can make or break the game. The only reason the USA had a chance to beat Belgium was Tim Howard. Being a goalkeeper is also more physically demanding than a quarterback. Sure, quarterbacks can take huge hits, but goalkeepers are diving into the direct line of fire. They take kicks to pretty much anywhere, just look at Petr Cech. He comes out to get the ball in a one-on-one opportunity, and his skull gets fractured. FInal round is for any closing arguments. Good luck con, and vote pro!
TeenagerX

Con

TeenagerX forfeited this round.
bloocoat

Pro

Closing Arguments:
Cannot respond to forfeit

The goal of this debate was for Con to prove how playing quarterback is more difficult than goalkeeper.
Since Con has failed to refute any of my arguments, vote Pro!
TeenagerX

Con

TeenagerX forfeited this round.