Elvis2500
orioleking1

Playing a Catcher in Baseball is Harder than Playing Goalie in Hockey

Elvis2500
Started: 6/12/2013 Category: Sports

Elvis2500

Pro

This is my first debate, so I am not quite sure on the correct formatting. Please mind that as I go forward with this debate.

I am arguing that catching is harder to play than a goalie in hockey (note: HARDER, not more important).

I will allow the "con" to go first.
orioleking1

Con

This is also my first argument and good luck to my opponent. I think that be a goalie is tougher because of all the shots you have to take, and how crowded the area in front of the net can get, especially on an empty net. Hockey is also a physical sport and the goalie needs to help defend and stick up for his teammates. Goalies are also most of the time captain of the team.
Elvis2500

Pro

Thank you for your response, and good luck to you, as well.

The catcher is the hardest position to play on the diamond. For the most part, the game is played outdoors. Through the months of June to early September, it can become excruciatingly hot. The catcher, no matter the weather (except in rain, of course), has to play the entire game, whereas, goalies play on the rink, where on the ice, the average temperature is around 30 degrees.

The NHL season is 82 games long, while the MLB season is 162 games long. Most catchers usually player around 120-140 of these games, which means stress on the knees can become unbearable at times.

The catcher's regular responsibilities include throwing out runners attempting to steal, block balls in the dirt, frame pitches (simply, catching the ball, which isn't as simple as it sounds when the ball is coming in at 90mph), and study the batter's tendencies. They not only do this with the starting pitcher, but with the pitchers in the bullpen, as well, in case they are needed. These strategies may change mid-game, depending on the other team. And after they do this, they have to go and perform on offense.
orioleking1

Con

orioleking1 forfeited this round.
Elvis2500

Pro

My opponent has forfeited, so I assume that I win by default. Please vote "pro," and thank you for checking out this debate.
orioleking1

Con

Sorry for not posting round 2. I had trouble logging into my account. I assue you win this debate
Elvis2500

Pro

Elvis2500 forfeited this round.
Posted by Elvis2500 4 years ago
Elvis2500
Con: That's fine, you mentioned this was your first debate.
Posted by Elvis2500 4 years ago
Elvis2500
Remember, in no way am I knocking goalies; it's an incredibly hard job, I understand the pressure. But it isn't as tough as a catcher. You mentioned a wild pitch? What if there's a runner on third? So much for that argument. The goalie isn't always the one blamed. Hockey isn't a one-man sport. Sure, the if the goalie is having a horrible game, he is going to be held at fault, but generally, the rest of the team is blamed (redundant, I know). The catchers have to stop balls at the same speed as a goalie, but with less padding on. Plus, the catcher is playing in an environment when it is already in the 80's, maybe even higher in some games. Both positions are tough, but when compared, the catcher has it harder.
Posted by SlaterJ23 4 years ago
SlaterJ23
damnn i play goalie in hockey for travel teams during the summer and let me tell you it's hard as hell. In baseball you fumble the ball from the pitcher you don't lose the game. you may give up a base or so but rarely do u ever lose the game by fault the pitcher. Goalie on the other hand the whole crowd is watching you and if you make one mistake out of 30 shots the crowd hates you. the game is on you. nobody is to blame but you. plus its cold as fck on your face while the rest of your body under layers and layers of padding which is hard to maneuver in is hot as hell. sorry if i helped the goalie kid at all but i shouldve taken this debate haha
Vote Placed by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
Elvis2500orioleking1Tied