robert5219
Itsallovernow

Playing high school football is better for a man than playing high school baseball

Started: 1/18/2012 Category: Sports

robert5219

Pro

Playing high school football is better for a man than playing high school baseball.
I have played both sports at the high school level. I have also coached both sports at this level. Playing football is better for a man and does more for a man than playing baseball. The sport of football teaches a man more about life than baseball does. There are more lessons in football than baseball for a man to learn. Football turns a boy into a man faster than baseball could. The men battle on the lines forms bonds with other men that last a life time. Men are always talking about their old high school football stories and their friends from the team. Baseball does not give the same feeling of team as football does. There is no locker room like there is for baseball. The environments of both sports are different.
Itsallovernow

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate.

Rebuttals/Evidence:

1. My opponent contradicts himself with an oximoron in the first few sentences of his argument. "Playing football is better for a man ad does more for a man than playing baseball." However, later on he goes to say "Football turns a boy into a man faster than baseball could." Aside from this circular logic, I must remind my opponent that becoming a man has nothing to do with extracurricular sports.

2. "There are more lessons in football than baseball for a man to learn." This logic is also flawed. The lessons learned about any aspect of life is subject to ingenuity of the metaphor and perspective. If one can not know all the lessons that something has to teach, they can not make this informed judgement. It can also be hindered by inability to understand the philisophical lesson. There are simply too many factors involved to be able to make this judgement and it is subject to a person-to-person basis and can't be catagorized into a mass informational tid-bit; it's what you make of it.

3. "The men battle on the lines forms bonds with other men that last a life time. Men are always talking about their old high school football stories and their friends from the team." This isn't always true- not at all! I have been on 'team-building' assignments and I couldn't stand the person. Sometimes, I could. I'd either talk about some of the stories or I'd let them fade into the background of my subliminal consciousness. Again, this falls into 'it is what you make it.

4. "Baseball does not give the same feeling of team as football does. There is no locker room like there is for baseball." A locker room does not mean you're going to have a "wondif-erous!" of a time (snarf, snarf). It simply is a place to store your things. I disagree again with the feeling tid-bit because it is, again, what you make of it. If you want to have a good time, you'll more than likely have a good time. If you want to pound everyone into the ground to prove yourself the better, you may be happy with yourself, but you're not promoting teamwork and your peers may not work as cohesively with you. It's all about how you carry yourself, what you learn, and how you apply that knowledge to create a better reality.

CONTENTIONS:

Now that I have effectively rendered my opponents arguments invalid, I will move to affirm my case and to negate the resolution.

1. Most people in high school are not men; therefore, the majority of the student body does not apply to the resolution. Assuming the resolution is to include all high schoolers participating in football, then the resolution is flawed logic.

2. Assuming that better is dubbing to the relation of character-building experiences and ethos, either sport can be used to demonstrate the continuities of virtue, establish ethos, build teamwork, etc. It is up to the inginuitiy of the person to recognize these experiences and apply them.

CONCLUSION:

My opponent has not presented any valid information to support his thesis. His argumentative contentions must be reinforced with a more appurtenizing approach in order to effectively administer a valid defense of this resolution. Constituating this debate, my arguments are simply lain, but in perfect logic. I invite my opponent to entreat me with another round of intriguing responses and challenge the CON standing. Thank you.
robert5219

Pro

Football is also more of a release for young men in high school. they are allowed to be physical and hit people in football. A kid can not take out their anger in baseball, it is not allowed.
The debate is about young men playing football and/or baseball and which sport makes them into men better. It does not apply to the whole student body because most girls would not like to play football. Even if a girl were to play she would not be the topic of the debate.
The locker room is more than just a place for your pads and helmet to be kept. The young men are in the locker room for a long time together. They are there before and after practice. Also before and after games. The men like to hang out in the locker room and be around their team mates. The team grows in the locker room they form bonds with their team. For every team that I have been a part of as either a player or a coach, the players are always getting told to leave the locker room by the coaches. It is hard to get the players to leave sometimes. Football is a second family for everyone on the team. The bond is stronger than in baseball. In baseball when the practice is over everyone just leaves and goes home. There is not the same kind of bonding.
For football there is more of a sense of team than in baseball. The team concept is more important. For baseball a back up first basemen but never see the field. In football a back up running back could be in on different offensive formations and play on special teams. Special teams gives almost every player on the football team a chance to contribute to the whole team on the field in games. second and even third string players are seeing time on the field.
In baseball back ups are not playing as much as in football and gives it a less sense of team. Also in baseball it is easy to take away a teams best player by using the intentional walk. In football to stop a great player it takes a team effort.
Team is very important in football and it is not just for the starters. Football players learn to be one cohesive unit and it makes it better as they grow up. They can use what they learn about teams in their jobs.
Football is better for a man than baseball is in high school.
Itsallovernow

Con

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
robert5219

Pro

Football also makes a person organize their time more. They have to learn the playbook before the season. Then during the season new plays are added in for each different opponent. The student athletes have to do their schoolwork and study for football also. This does not occur in baseball.
High School Football is also more important for a school. There is the Homecoming game, Friday nigh games, and home games bring in a crowd. Most of the school goes to the football games because no other sports are really playing at the same time as them. They bring in a crowd and help the school raise money by charging people to get in. This helps a man because he is performing infront of a crowd. he is also helping his school out. Everybody in the school knows the football players and talks about what they saw at the last game. Some teachers do not like the football players but the players just do their work and avoid the teacher. In baseball there is a game during the week while other sports are going on so the crowd is not as big. Less people in the school talk about baseball.
Football is also a sport where you have to be tough. You can not let anyone push you around. You learn to stick up for yourself and for your teammates.
Itsallovernow

Con

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
robert5219

Pro

Football is also a more athletic sport than Baseball. This helps with keeping in shape. There is a different range and demand of strength, speed, agility, and overall athleticism. There are more moves that can be done in football. More cuts and quick turning. There is a lot of quick reactions and insticts that are needed in football. The toughness is very important in football. You have to sacrafice your body for your team.
Football helps to keep your body in great shape and have big muscles.
Itsallovernow

Con

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
robert5219

Pro

I believe that high school football is better for a man than playing high school baseball. Football teaches you many things which i have put in my debate. Teamwork is very important for football.
Overall Football is better for a man.
Everyone should let their son play football.
Itsallovernow

Con

I made my points. Death to the infadels. Cheese. That is all.