Benjiboy960
lol101

Pluto is a planet

lol101

Benjiboy960

Pro

Pluto is a dwarf planet, but that doesn't mean it's not a planet. It's a dwarf PLANET. Get it right, people!
lol101

Con

Pluto cannot be both a dwarf planet and a planet, it's one or the other. I have two points to make:

1) Pro seems to be arguing the opposite of what the resolution says, despite being Pro.

2) Since you have conceded, I automatically win.
Benjiboy960

Pro

Hey, back off. I'm only a beginner!
lol101

Con

That doesn't excuse your lack of arguments and ability to stay on one side.

Extend my arguments
Benjiboy960

Pro

First of all, I hope there are no hard feelings in this debate. Second, I apologize if I have caused them. Third, here is my argument: (look at my comment) I see other examples of things being dwarf and stuff like that (and I know it's space science, but for the sake of my argument I say this), and they're still a TYPE of it. A pygmy hippo is still a type of hippo, a dwarf hamster is still a type of hamster, and mini golf is a game in which you hit a white ball with a club into a hole. See what I mean? I know Pluto is a dwarf planet, but that doesn't mean we have to make exceptions and go crazy and whatnot. So, obviously Pluto is a type of planet, a small, irregular one. I'm not trying to disagree with scientists here, by the way.
lol101

Con

I found my opponent's case to be really weak. He is only using common sense as an argument, which should be disregarded. Rather than using evidence to support his bare assertions, he just simply uses his perception of a dwarf planet. Size is not the only difference.

http://lasp.colorado.edu...

Here it shows the requirements for both a planet and a dwarf planet:

Planet-
1. Is in orbit around a star, but is not itself a satellite*
2. Has sufficient mass so it is nearly spherical in shape*
3. Has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit*

Dwarf Planet-
3. Has NOT cleared the neighborhood around its orbit*

So as you can see, there is more of a difference than just size.

"A planet is defined as a rocky, or gaseous, spherical, celestial body, that orbits the sun, but does not emit its own light. A planet is also considered to be a celestial body that has sufficient mass, therefore, it has its own gravity that overcomes unyielding body forces, and is formed into a hydrostatic equilibrium, or round, shape. It is neither a star nor a satellite of another planet.

A dwarf planet is also a spherical body orbiting the sun; however, to be a dwarf planet, it must be smaller than 3031 miles in diameter, but heavy enough to bear a resemblance to a planet. In addition, a dwarf planet is not big enough to have a distinct orbital path, nor does it orbit another object, like a moon."

These are some more differences between the two.

http://www.differencebetween.net...

And if my opponent is going to use common sensense as an argument, I suppose I should as well. If scientists, professionals on astrology, etc. say that they are different, we should take their word for it. They have studied science and astrology for years/decades, thus, we should trust them. You on the other hand, don't seem to be a scientist, since you hardly mentioned anything scientific. You cannot apply a baby hippo and a full grown hippo being the same to a dwarf planet and a planet being the same. It would have been more productive for you to argue *why* they are the same thing. Trying to use common sense and how things work with animals does not apply to how dwarf planets and planets work in the Solar System.

I also posted a mere contradiction to counter yours. Even without the evidence, the best case scenario for you is a tie, since contradictions do not prove anything, but since I showcased evidence, your entire argument has fallen.

Vote Con
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: NotThatClever// Mod action: NOT Removed<

1 points to Pro (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: Round three from Con seems to be in poor taste at least and against the rules at most. Waiting until round three to post definitions to refute Pro's arguments knowing that Pro can not respond begets a loss for conduct.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter is allowed to interpret misconduct from final round arguments if they wish, and this vote explains that choice.
************************************************************************
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
If you don't want to make the comments section a mess, don't say something like "THANK YOU FOR VOTING FOR ME", it's too in your face. Btw, you waited till the last round to post something as well.
Posted by Benjiboy960 1 year ago
Benjiboy960
I think that this whole debate is crazy! How are we tied?! I was expecting to lose! THANK YOU ALL WHO VOTED FOR ME!
Posted by Benjiboy960 1 year ago
Benjiboy960
Let's not leave messy comments, OK?
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
PM me, I'll discuss it privately.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Lol? Don't know if that's supposed to be an insult or because you don't have anything
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
If you don't get it, why should I tell you? You won't get it.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Don't get what?
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
The people who voted against me just don't get it.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
And he waited too long as well.
Vote Placed by Enji 1 year ago
Enji
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argues that a dwarf planet is a type of planet; therefore if Pluto is a dwarf planet then it is a planet. Con references the defintions of planet and dwarf planet, arguing that planet and dwarf planet are two distinct classifications therefore Pluto is a dwarf planet and not a planet. Arguments to Con.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This was pretty simple, Win goes to Con. Pro assumes that planets and dwarf planets aren't two different terms. Con easily showed how dwarf planets and planets aren't the same thing, and one cannot be both at the same time. He gave clear definitions that showed the main difference between a planet and a dwarf planet is that a planet had cleared the neighbourhood around it's orbit, and a dwarf planet had not. This is clear evidence that Pluto is not a planet, because it hasn't cleared the neighbourhood around it's orbit.
Vote Placed by NotThatClever 1 year ago
NotThatClever
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Round three from Con seems to be in poor taste at least and against the rules at most. Waiting until round three to post definitions to refute Pro's arguments knowing that Pro can not respond begets a loss for conduct.
Vote Placed by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con only made arguments when they had to be dropped, essentially destroying the aspect of "debate" in a debate. Con said "you're wrong" basically for all of rounds 1, 2. Pro's assertion that dwarf planet is a subset of planet remained uncontested until the final round (just saying that planet and dwarf planet are different doesn't mean anything), where nobody could actually respond in a timely manner; these kinds of arguments are not allowed on this website. Essentially, pro made arguments that were not contested sufficiently, and con made arguments that are not even allowed on this website. Thus, I must vote pro.
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: BoP was on Pro and round 2 was essentially a forfeit since Pro didn't add anything new to the debate except it wasn't a lack of conduct so I've just contributed that to the arguments point.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The BOP was on Pro to show that Pluto is a planet. He argues that since it is a dwarf planet, it is a planet. Pro should have proven how exactly, but he failed to do so. Con did show it, but it wasn't required since the bop was on Pro.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
Benjiboy960lol101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented his argument too late, only explaining the reasoning for why a dwarf planet was not a planet in the final round. While he's allowed to present new evidence in the final round, new arguments are strictly prohibited, as Pro never gets a chance to respond. Yes, Pro's arguments are all assertions, but even just looking at the verbiage is better than the "you're wrong"-type posts Con put up in R1 and R2.