Poached eggs are better than fried eggs

Started: 1/9/2014 Category: Funny

Poached eggs are better than fried eggs because:

1. It is much healthier as, for one example, it does not involve oil or frying (1)
2. They are more moist because - after all - they have been submerged in water. Being moist makes them more tasty

I negate the resolution that poached eggs are NOT better than fried eggs because of personal tastes and opinions and my opponent's negligence in setting a proper definition for the word "better."

Taste buds change, along with people's opinions regarding food. While one person might say that a certain food, such as a poached egg, is tastier than another, a different person might say otherwise, which puts foods, like eggs, at an equal place, meaning that no egg is superior because stating so would be a matter of opinion and therefore illegitimate.

"Better" is a very vague statement and depends on personal and cultural values. While my opponent claims that poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs and therefore "better," he or she opens the door for me to add in my two cents and say that no, fried eggs are "better" because I prefer their taste over poached eggs. This would take me back to my first point. Another person could argue that fried eggs are "better" than poached eggs because they have received glory from the book "Green Eggs and Ham." There are numerous arguments as to why one egg could be "better" than the other because I could define the word any way I choose since my opponent has not done so. "Better" is clearly treated by my opponent as an opinion rather than a word with a set definition.

Firstly I thank the opponent in engaging in this debate with me; which is my first ever debate.
My opponent refutes my proposition on the basis of two related arguments:

1. I did not define 'better' and so the debate can be won simply by arguing using a different definition...

2. 'Better' as a personal taste is an opinion and so each opinion is equal and refutes each other.

My response to these criticisms is as follows:

1. First I concede to the opponent's first criticism that 'better' was not specifically defined and so I now produce the definitions from which we can surely agree on as being acceptible.

of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech.
morally superior; more virtuous: They are no better than thieves.
of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable: a better time for action.
larger; greater: the better part of a lifetime.
improved in health; healthier than before.

With reference to some of the definitions I can prove poached eggs are better.

1. Poached eggs are more virtuous then fried eggs.

a. Prepared food can be virtuous or morally superior to other food. Muslims and Jews, for example, both have an idea of morally permissable food if it is prepared in a particular way. Chicken meat itself is not virtuous, but when it is prepared in a certain way then it becomes virtuous and thus morally superior to other food.
b. Permissible food by Muslims and Jews is partly justified by it being pure and clean.
c. Poached eggs are purer and cleaner than fried eggs because they do not use fats and oils to make them.
d. As prepared food can be virtuous and clean and pure food is virtuous, then poached eggs are more virtuous than fried eggs; therefore meeting the definition of 'better'.

2. Poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs.

a. As mentioned above, poached eggs do not involve frying, oils or fats to prepare them, therefore they are healthier.
b. Being healthier matches a definition of 'better'.

3. Poached eggs are more preferable than fried eggs.

a. For the above reasons that poached eggs are more virtuous and healthier, they are therefore more preferable to fried eggs.
b. Being more preferable matches a definition also.

4. Poached eggs are also more preferable in that they use fewer of the world's resources - namely oil or fat that is used to fry eggs; poached eggs only use water.

In response to my opponent's 2nd argument, 'better' is not only an opinion as defined in

Poached eggs are better because
a. they are more virtuous
b. they are healthier
c. a and b taken together makes them more preferable
d. they are more preferable as they use fewer world resources

NinjaHobbit14 forfeited this round.

As my opponent forfeited the previous argument, I guess I must be right :)

NinjaHobbit14 forfeited this round.