bsh1
ESocialBookworm

Poetry Debate

bsh1

bsh1

Pro

Preface

Since I haven't been able to tie Annie down on doing a debate on the importance of love and romance, this'll have to do ;) It should fun and relaxing for both of us. I hope the readers (and the debaters) enjoy it!

About the Debate

This debate will be a debate about poetry. Each of us will select a theme, and write or select poems (as dictated by the round-by-round rules) that is in keeping with this theme. By "theme" I mean I broad motif or central idea that pervades, characterizes, or defines a piece of literature; examples include "love," "nature," or "growing up."

Judges should adjudicate the round on the quality of the pieces we wrote, the quality of our analysis of the pieces we didn't write, and our adherence to our stated theme throughout. We should both select different themes. If a judge feels that a given theme really isn't a "theme," they may factor that in as well.

Annie cannot accept until 10:00pm, DDO time, on Nov. 8th. Acceptance before that time merits an automatic 7-point loss.

Structure

R1. Acceptance, Declare a Theme
R2. Both Debaters Write Original Pieces
R3. Both Debaters Write Original Pieces
R4. Both Debaters Write Original Pieces
R5. Both Debaters post a poem by someone else and write a 1,500 character (or fewer) analysis of the poem

Rules

1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be provided in the text of the debate (poems other than our own must be cited with outside links)
3. All poems must be fully and completely typed out within the text of the debate; no attempts to obviate the character limit should be permitted
4. Maintain a civil and decorous atmosphere
5. No trolling
6. Violation of or noncompliance with any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a 7-point loss

Thanks...

...again to Esocial. It'll be a fun one :)

[My Theme will be "Loss."]
ESocialBookworm

Con

Thank you...

to bsh1 for setting this up!

Declaration of theme:

My theme is Identity, and Faith.

May the odds be ever in our favour!

bsh1

Pro

Thanks to Annie for this Debate! On to my first Poem. It's entitled: "Stairs."

You fall
and the ground comes flying up
into you
and you can't breath.

Except you didn't fall.
Two hands had come up
behind you
and pushed.

You look up the stairway.
Each step that had bruised you
as you fell--
ramming into like a knife.

The words they had called you:
not much different from the stairs.
No less cutting.
No less painful.

You try to reassemble,
to find
your self-esteem,
your pride, your soul.
Amidst the spilled blood
around you
at the bottom of the
knife-like stairs.

Those stairs, those words--
they chopped
those things up
beyond recognition--
what use were they
to you anymore.

You discard
them--
keep them only if you want
to watch
as they get shredded
more.

You know you will
never be safe there again.
You are nothing.
You are
a ball to be kicked,
tossed down stairs
deflated, punctured;
all grim
hilarious, amusement.

You know that if you
ever look for your
self-esteem,
your pride, your soul,
you will not find them.
At least not here.
They're lost.

And, it doesn't
bother
you that they are because
you lost your feeling too--
those stairs numbed
you.
And you thank those stairs
for their perverse gift.

You walk up those stairs:
late for class, bloodied.
You look at the ground,
and forget
to remember what
you lost.
You don't want to remember;
you might
not be numb
if you do.

Knives aren't so bad,
if you don't feel
them.
Are they?
ESocialBookworm

Con

Great round to bsh, (who almost made me concede the debate right there. xD)

That said, my poem is entitled With Me, and deals with the finding of one’s identity and having faith in oneself, despite all the deceptive factors out there. It also deals with the conflict of grasping one’s religious perspective, and holding on to it- which ties into the theme of identity (religious identity.) The minor theme of isolation helps to build into the theme of identity and faith because the person is trying to find herself, when alone mentally and spiritually (but surrounded by people), and believe in herself and her capabilities. The poem ends with the persona finding consolation in her religious deity, and or herself- her conscience; however you would like to perceive it.

With Me

I have little space to me,

Yet I wish for you to be closer.

I feel all alone,

Yet I am surrounded by all corners.

I hear so many comments and consolations,

Yet I thirst for a kind word.

So many hands reach out to my assistance,

Yet I can’t feel them in this world.

So many smiles and friends,

Yet I wish for someone to talk to, to make me smile and to laugh with.

So many different colours and trends,

Yet I blend into every wall and carpet.

So I open My Book and hug it to my chest,

And I feel a spark, and a tear escapes.

In these moments, I feel so blessed,

For all that I have today.

Sitting all alone, I feel the silence as my friend,

Around me like a band.

No one around with a shoulder, or to pretend

Yet I feel a soothing weight on my hand.

No one around for hugs,

Yet I feel myself, with love smothered.

No need for slicing or drugs*

No need to anymore be bothered.

When all those comments, get me down,

You whisper in my ear and keep me on the ground.

Because you are always in my mind when I zone-out,

I know I’ll never be alone now.

-Annie

Hope you all enjoyed my poem, and good luck to you further Brian!

bsh1

Pro

Thanks again, Esocial. My next Poem is entitled: "Mrs. Tesoros's Things."

Mrs. Tesoros lives
next door.

Every time I go
inside her house,
to check in on her,
she smiles,
and tells me her stories.

Her house
is a collection of stories.

The teddy bear
on the shelf
her son's first toy.
They were inseparable,
following each other
every where they went.

The tin box
on the mantelpiece--
she kept
her photos
in there. She
got the box
at a market in
Vienna, the day
she met her husband.

The wedding ring
on her finger.
Her husband
froze and couldn't
get the words out
when he gave her that.
She said yes anyway.
Love is love.

The ceramic bowl
on her coffee table.
Her husband made that.
His finger prints
can be seen vaguely imprinted
in the long-dried clay.
He was dead now,
but she remembered how proud
he was of everything
he made for her: the bowl,
the house,
and many other things.

The yellow tassel
in the picture frame on the wall.
Her boy graduated
Valedictorian
from college many years
ago now.
Chemistry major,
brilliant scientist.
He did so well.

Mrs. Tesoros's things
were her stories.
And I loved
to hear them.
She made her life
come alive,
and you just felt
the happiness inside her.

I came to see her today.
No stories today.
She sold her stories--
the tin box, the wedding ring,
the ceramic bowl, the yellow tassel
--she said that she had been left
with all these stories,
these treasures,
but no money to live with.

The bank didn't realize
the stories were more valuable
than money.

I looked around Mrs. Tesoros's
house.
None of those precious things,
those wonderful stories
remained.
It looked so empty.
I looked at Mrs. Tesoros,
and so did she.
ESocialBookworm

Con

Great round!

Just another

Sometimes I wonder,

If I’m just another gift to buy on my birthday and Christmas;

Just another roguish student in an already full class;

Just another person you have to say hello and be nice to;

Just another person to get information through;

Just another person to house and feed;

Just another person to let breathe.

Sometimes I think people think,

Just another person to ask who, what and why;

Just another person who wants to make a difference;

Just another person who tries to see everyone’s significance;

Just another person producing CO2;

Just another person who wants to try;

Just another one in a million,

But just another one gallant enough to actually make the difference.

-Annie

Onto you Brian!

bsh1

Pro

Thanks, Annie! I will now present my last original poem for this debate! It's called: "The Grandmother/Neighbor Across the Street."

When I was little
I would walk across
the street.

Her hands were brittle
But they guided
me behind

back, to her garden
where the apple trees
were ripe.

Her heart was hardened--
branded: outsider;
me too.

We found acceptance,
an ally in the
other.

Walk in the entrance:
I would smell apple
strudel.

For the child who made
her laugh, she spared no
expense.

Mentor: a role well played--
the neighbor across
the street,

more a grandmother
for one who didn't know
his own.

In the snow, no cover--
she was outside; no
clue why.

I had moved by then.
But they had told me she
had died.

Years had gone, yet still
I recalled her hands:
leading

inside for strudel
on a rainy day
or to

pick apples from the
garden trees in May.
Mem'ries:

Time doesn't seem to let
them fade. I couldn't believe
I was

so sad
that day.
ESocialBookworm

Con

I wrote this poem, On the Other Side, about a dark time in my life, where I really and truly wanted to get away from this world and everyone in it (*very much sugar-coating this.*) I was struggling to find myself- who I was, who I should be, who I wanted to be, who society and family expected me to be. Somewhere, within all that confusion, I managed to hold on to that tiny string that was slipping out of my fingers- my religious strength. From all the stories about Heaven and Hell, I believed that I would be better off in there hereafter, because the world was cruel place, where I didn’t belong or fit in. This poem, I believe, adequately expressed my thirst for my Identity and my faith at the time.

On the Other Side

On the other side,

I’ll be free-

From all the things

That bother me;

From haunting rumours

And “friends’” greed;

From expectations;

From me

On the other side,

I’ll be able to smile-

About no more

Wicked wiles…

No more discrimination;

And cruel men;

And hurt and oppression,

And horrible ends…

On the other side,

I’ll be at peace-

Finally contented,

Having everything I need;

A reassuring presence of You around me

You’ll love all the time, constantly,

I’ll be with You, finally,

And that’s all I need, to be happy.

-Annie

Onto you bsh!

bsh1

Pro

So, this round is poetry analysis! I will be analyzing my favorite poem of all time, "Dream Song 14," by John Berryman. The link to my source can be found below. I will post a copy of the poem first, and then post my analysis. Also, if anyone is wondering how this fits my theme of "loss," there is the loss of the "dog" that Berryman discusses and which I shall also discuss, as well as a greater loss of meaningful humor, which I will also discuss in my analysis.

DREAM SONG 14

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.
After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,
we ourselves flash and yearn,
and moreover my mother told me as a boy
(repeatingly) "Ever to confess you"re bored
means you have no

Inner Resources." I conclude now I have no
inner resources, because I am heavy bored.
Peoples bore me,
literature bores me, especially great literature,
Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes
as bad as achilles,

who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.
And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag
and somehow a dog
has taken itself & its tail considerably away
into mountains or sea or sky, leaving
behind: me, wag.

ANALYSIS

The poem begins with two simple, declarative sentences, one informing us of an inherent truth about the world (i.e., that the world is boring), and the other then notifying us that it's not acceptable to reveal this truth. The way in which Berryman casually throws the truth out there despite his later admission that it's not something one ought to say establishes early on the insouciant tone with which Berryman will make his point. He takes aim at the veneer of conventionality and propriety that we often adopt in our daily lives, and mocks us for it.

His next two lines merely solidify this mordant tone--droning on about the supposedly serious, un-boring aspects of life in a completely lifeless fashion. The incurious way in which he discusses them, almost as if to dismiss them, stands in stark and ironic contrast to his unfelt claim that these things add energy to our lives.

The excerpt about his mother is equally and drily sardonic. His use of the term "repeatingly" implies bored exasperation--in fact, every line in his first stanza is underpinned with tonal boredom. Interestingly, the way in which Berryman constructs his lines efficaciously draws attention to this neat tonal effect. His ending his second and third lines both end on the word "yearning," a concept that he, as already noted, has treated with dismissiveness. By ending the lines on that word, he is emphasizing the term, which in turn calls attention to his feelings toward it. Similarly, by closing the fifth line with the word "bored," he is emphasizing a running motif throughout the piece; just as by ending the sixth line on "no," he forces us to pause, which underscores the word in the context of the phrase he interrupted. In other words, it would be as if he had written, "you have NO inner resources." This same trick is the applied to the transition between lines 7 and 8.

The discussion about inner resources itself is quite interesting, insofar as, if one carries the blandly dismissive tone through from stanza to stanza--as I think one ought--it seems to mock the idea that boredom necessarily comes from within, and isn't imposed from without. Berryman then, in amusing and succinct fashion, vilipends "peoples" and "great literature" and the whinging of humanity (that is to say, the tendency of people to complain pointless about things that are either to trivial to merit such complaint or are beyond their control.) Berryman, in the same vein, deprecates "achilles" in masterful fashion. By not capitalizing his name, Berryman emphasizes how little significance or value he actually attributes to Achilles; moreover, by treating such a famed mythological hero in such, not quite contemptuous but certainly unimpressed, terms, he is suggesting that these kinds of fanciful thoughts, these normally exciting myths and legends, are somehow hollow and lacking in any real intellectual depth, making them, to him, just one more vapidly tiresome aspect of life he has to suffer. Berryman only adds to this suggestion when he mockingly refers to those myths and legends, and, frankly, any hero-story of that ilk, as "valiant art."

The final stanza is perhaps the most interesting because, as an old teacher of mine once put it, it seems like the LSD began kicking in. His mention of "gin" seems to imply that he wants us to believe that, at this point, boredom has forced him to drink for excitement and entertainment. I am not so sure this is the correct interpretation, though it's one I have commonly witnessed. My issues are twofold, firstly, that he seems to dismiss the gin, along with so many other things, as boring two, and, secondly, that I think the gin reference is meant as a way to ask us to open our minds more so than it is him saying he has resorted to drink. But these issues aside (both views are plausible explanations), the 14th line--oddly enough for "Dream Song 14"--represents a turning point in the poem, from Berryman whinging (something he critiques others of doing), to him switching into something more abstract, i.e. an apparent digression about a dog.

The dog has, Berryman writes, "taken itself...considerably away" from him, back to the "mountains or sea or sky." This is critical, because it evokes an image of the first stanza, which referenced the sea and sky as supposedly "yearning," or exciting, places. The dog, in its departure, leaves behind Berryman. Again, there are two plausible interpretations of this portion of the poem, as far as I can ascertain. The first is that Berryman did intimate he was resorting to drink with the gin comment, and that the dog is his sober, rational mind departing from him as he slips into drunkenness. The best case for this interpretation is found in the final word of the poem, "wag." A dog wagging connotes that the dog is happy. By suggesting that the dog left behind "me, wag," Berryman is suggesting that the dog left him in a happier state than when the dog was there. Certainly, inebriation has the ability to do that. Also, the use of the word "somehow" brings to mind the idea that people in a intoxicated state have ideas just randomly conjured up in their minds. This too fits with a supports this first interpretation. The second possibility, in my mind, is that the dog represents Berryman's sense of fun, his whimsical side, leaving him, and that it left him behind as he is now: bored. The use of the term "wag" is just dry sarcasm, almost caustically making fun of the idea that he has any funny, any "wag," left in him. This would be consistent with his overall tone in the piece. Part of what I appreciate about this piece is the ambiguity of this last stanza, and that it is open for interpretation; it presents a literary puzzle that I find anything but boring.

The primary takeaway, thematically, that we get from "Dream Song 14" is that he finds the world lacking in intellectual depth, and is thus merely characterized by superficial forms of entertainment. At its heart, this world is truly an exemplar of vapidity. But, Berryman goes about delivering this message with a trademark dry, if somewhat mordant, wit that makes the piece amusing, despite the darkness of its message. That itself provides an interesting question to the reader: is the entertainment one derives from reading this poem superficial and "boring," or is it something truly worthwhile? Perhaps we'll never know, but that, friends, is the conundrum Berryman leaves us with, in this truly amazing example of his work.
ESocialBookworm

Con

Thank you bsh1 for your dedicated performance so far for this debate! It has been fun and enlightening. I’ll definitely consider doing “The Other Debate” with you.

All judges, please note that bsh1 and I have both decided to do away with the character limit of this round, as analysis calls for a greater amount of characters. Additionally, I’d like to thank bsh for this part of the debate, since it’s my favourite aspect of Literature- analysis.

=Framework=

With that, like all experiences, like this debate, something new is learnt about you- whether it be by yourself or someone else. Likewise, in the poem Hap, by infamous and one of my favourite authors and poets, Thomas Hardy, the poet struggles with the essence of faith, and finding himself- his religious position.

As a Literature student, Thomas Hardy’s poems are naturally, on our syllabus. However, unlike most of the other texts, his work grips you from the title of the poems to the last drop of ink of a period (pun intended.)

Yet, when analysing his poems, and the eccentricity of it, I could not help but to favour Hap over the rest- my own religious conflictions may contribute to this. Moreover, this poem is so uniquely, simply-complexly written that it is hard to dislike, in my opinion. It’s one of the few poems that one can read, fall in love with, and want to read again- (unless you’re extremely religious- maybe not.)

=Analysing the poem=

Before I get into why this poem is so profound, I shall explain it to further emphasize the beauty hiding within this short work of art.

Title:

Firstly, the title, ‘Hap,’ means ‘by chance.’ It highlights Hardy’s pessimistic, fatalistic view and dark philosophy.

Genre of poem:

Hap is an untraditional sonnet. According to poets.org, “Traditionally, the sonnet is a fourteen-line poem written in iambic pentameter, which employ one of several rhyme schemes and adhere to a tightly structured thematic organization.” [1]

Hap is a variant on Shakespearean sonnet. “The English sonnet… the Shakespearean sonnet … comprises three quatrains and a final couplet, rhyming ababcdcdefefgg … the three quatrains by rhyme, in the sequence ababbabccdcdee. In either form, the 'turn' comes with the final couplet, which may sometimes achieve the neatness of an epigram.” [2]

Hap

{Stanza one}

If but some vengeful god would call to me

Like sonnets, this stanza starts by asking a question. Immediately, Hardy jumps into his theme of faith and questioning the existence of a God, or the alignment of God with religious doctrines. “Vengeful god” not only accuses God of being vengeful, and malicious, but the juxta-positioning also reinforces situational irony, and a deist approach. Also, the capitalization, or more precisely- lack of, emphasizes the feeling he has towards religion and God. The word, God, is usually capitalized out of respect, and clearly, it is seen here, that it is not- and not as an error!

Also, for poetic appeal, Hardy strings an assonance throughout the very first line of his poem, with an o sound, as underlined.

From up the sky, and laugh: “Thou suffering thing,

The laugh alludes to the mocking, condescending, vindictive nature that Hardy believes God is comprised of. “Thou suffering thing” shows God’s acknowledgement of his suffering (that may or may not be unremitted) and that He put him in this position of pain.

Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,

That thy love's loss is my hate's profiting!”

Again, we see the rhythmic use of alliteration, and assonance with the “t,” “l” and “o.” Also, contrast is seen here, and irony, as one would believe God to care, yet the persona states that God maliciously profits from the loss of love, and pain.

Though, many-a-critics have believed this poem to be atheistic, I see this stanza in particular, more deistic.

Deism is a natural religion. Deists believe in the existence of God, on purely rational grounds, without any reliance on revealed religion or religious authority or holy text.” [3]

{Stanza two]

Then would I bear it, clench myself, and die,

The use of “would I” implies “if” which shows the denying of the existence of God. It also shows his emotional conflict- almost giving up, bordering on suicidal. This, I view, as a result of his lack of identity and faith at the moment in time. He’s confused, giving up and this is what happens when one doesn’t know what to do anymore.

Steeled by the sense of ire unmerited;

Again, alliteration. Furthermore, “steeled” reinforces the strength, the hardness, the unrelenting nature of the logicality of God’s existence.

Ire, meaning anger, and unmerited meaning undeserving, or not worth something, shows that he would be angry with God, who deserves the anger and hate directed at him for his uncaring attitude. However, God just isn’t worth it- and again we see him giving up.

Half-eased in that a Powerfuller than I

It’s very important to note the capitalization of ‘Powerfuller,’ in contrast to with ‘God,’ which further reinforces the disdain he held for God. Power does not imply love or respect. He would rather call God this, than ‘God,’ as he believes that God, should he exist, has power, but does not use it as He should.

Had willed and meted me the tears I shed.

Again, alliteration. “Had willed” shows that God let him go through the pain and cry, doing nothing to help, as far as he knows.

{Stanza three}

But not so. How arrives it joy lies slain,

“But” emphasizes the change in events in the poem. The use of the powerful word “slain” emphasizes that not only was there unhappiness, but that love was taken, ripped from him. It alludes to unjust actions, that God is unfair and malicious.

And why unblooms the best hope ever sown?

“Unblooms” alludes to death, and the unblooming of the “best hope” shows the ripping of hope. “Ever” is used as a hyperbole.

—Crass Casualty obstructs the sun and rain,

The “Crass Casualty” alliteration means death, and the obstruction shows the unnaturalness, like evolution.

And dicing Time for gladness casts a moan. . . .

This strong line means that time cannot help, it symbolises death.

These purblind Doomsters had as readily strown

“Doomsters” refer to those causing doom, and again, capitalization is very important and reemphasizes the little respect he has for God. “Readily strown” shows the lack of hesitance and readiness of these actions that were committed.

Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain.

I love poems with powerful last lines, and this poem is no exception. This line sums up the conclusion- that the pain he felt was causes willingly for God’s satisfaction, and is highlighted with the alliteration “pilgrimage as pain.”

-Thomas Hardy

=Analysis of poem structure=

As said before, this poem is a sonnet. Therefore, the tones would vary throughout the poem.

In the first stanza, the question is asked of God’s existence. The tone is passionate, strong and negative.

In the second stanza, the answer that if God existed, the persona would give up, resigned to his fate. The tone is transformed into one of passivity, conforming, reluctant resignation, reluctant sorrow, unwilling pessimism.

In the third stanza, the answer is further broken down into an agnostic perspective- that anything that happens are as a result of coincidence. The final tone is one of doomed acceptance. As Rachel Deeming said, “He personifies the forces that he believes exert their chaos over his life … are responsible for the negativity that pervades his life; that there are glimmers of optimism but they are thwarted, their pleasurable traits all too easily becoming pain reinforced in the last two lines of the poem ‘…as readily strown/ Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain.’” [4]

=Connecting the poem to the poet=

Ironically, while Hardy had conflicting thoughts about the existence of God, he was still a devout Christian.

As George P. Landow, Professor of English and the History of Art, Brown University said, “Thomas Hardy might have wished he could have remained a Christian, but that he didn't, or that he always retained many ideas and attitudes associated with Christianity … but not the fundamental beliefs that grounded them… Hardy would seem [truer] to the Victorian frame of mind that would over-emphasizing Hardy's Christian-ness. … he retained habits of mind associated with Christianity after he abandoned it but that he abandoned it for a belief in some Unconscious Will.” [5]

“Hardy's stance on religion swayed between agnosticism and atheism. Most of his works draw heavily upon the strength on all-powering fate and question the existence of God in the times of human suffering. … seemingly … fascinated with fatalistic ends and expressed pessimism that was impassive, indifferent. His own life was marked by a religious view that was a mixture of philosophy and spiritualism which did not discard the existence of God, yet questioned it.However a Church devotee, Hardy drew heavily upon the role of God in the irony and tragedy of life and human suffering. [6]

=Thank you…=

To bsh for this fantastic debate! I hope you had as much fun as I did!

[1]- http://www.poets.org...

[2]- http://www.english.illinois.edu...

[3]- http://www.religioustolerance.org...

[4]- http://www.humanities360.com...

[5]- http://www.victorianweb.org...

[6]- http://www.thefamouspeople.com...

Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
You have no respect for poetry, Crypto.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Anything
Can be

A poem
If you type
It like
This.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
xXCryptoXx
P
G

D

nac
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
I didn't think it was nonsensical at all. o.o
Maybe you didn't get it the way Brian wanted it to come across- poetry is a form of art, and like paintings and drawings, can be taken different ways.
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
Benko...how the hell was it nonsensical?
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
@benko - not that my poems were the best in the word, but "nonsensical?" Seriously? Could you elaborate on that comment?
Posted by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
Maybe I should read/vote on this.... hmmm. :P
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
Even if I lose, I wish we'd get some votes on this. :<
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
Yay! :D
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
We made the front page! Woot!
Vote Placed by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't do poem votes, as I do not know how to vote objectively. I am sorry guys,
Vote Placed by Cermank 2 years ago
Cermank
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 2: Bsh1. His poem sucked me right in, it was beautiful and flowed wonderfully. Round 3: Bsh1. I love miss tesoros. And it was very comprehensive, it all tied down as the poem ended. Round 4: esocial. A surprising upping of the ante. Loved the poem. Comprehensive, set the mood, and even though the theme wasn't universal, persay, there was an element of invoked empathy. Round 5: This was truly a difficult choice. Although I personally preferred Hap over Dream song, I found bsh1's explanation of the poem much more deep and considered. I wasn't too impressed by the poem but the analysis made it interesting. I found the line by line deconstruction by Con taking away from the flow and feel of the poem, and the overall theme could be explained better. So 3-1 to bsh1
Vote Placed by AngelofDeath 2 years ago
AngelofDeath
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both of you were amazing, really hard to choose a winner XD good job! This was absolutely adorable <3
Vote Placed by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Bsh seemed to connect for me better than Esocial did. Both made really great and beautiful poems but i seemed to favor bsh more
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Bsh's unnatural rhythm and nice grabbing to similes, metaphors and description gains him the win within the poems. I felt like his poem analysis was just as deep as Bookie's, with connections similar to his opponent's, as well as depth into the looking of the theme of the poem. Thus, as Bsh's poetry trumps Bookie's, and their analysis tied, Bsh1 wins overall.
Vote Placed by benko12345678 2 years ago
benko12345678
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate modern poetry...it seems to have lost all its former beauty. The understanding of the human spirit is not evident in neither of these two. Pro's poems, however, were nonsensical. I found con's poetry to go a little deeper into understanding mental conditions and dispositions.
Vote Placed by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
SeventhProfessor
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: The rhythm in bsh's poems felt a lot less natural, but in a good, skippy kind of way that I prefer in poetry. Both did a good job, but bsh was able to create a much better deeper meaning with much simpler language.
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
bsh1ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good job to both. I would have to say that Annie's poem's were slightly better and I like how she said the line and analyzed it as she went. Again good job to both of you.