Hungkeng
alexmiller887

Poetry Should Not Be Teached In School

alexmiller887

Hungkeng

Pro

First round is acceptance only. Everybody can debate. Good luck.
alexmiller887

Con

Hungkeng

Pro

Poetry is a lesson taught in primary and secondary school. In poetry lesson, we learn how to write debates. The point is that people don't even use the knowledge from the lesson. This means that the lesson is not actually applied in real life. If it is not usable in real life, why would we learn it? That is my first arguments. On my second argument, I know that in the pot, there is usually a lot of make up words which does not actually exist but only used because it rhymes with the others. The words are not understandable and the words used is usually old fashion. I challenge you to rebut my arguments and state some arguments which would prove that poetry should be taught in school. Thank you.
alexmiller887

Con

I gladly accept your challenge. First, though, as you have failed to provide us with any definitions, I will define them myself.

Definition of poetry (n)
Bing Dictionary
po"et"ry
[ poM2;L9; "tree ]
1.literature in verse: literary works written in verse, in particular verse writing of high quality, great beauty, emotional sincerity or intensity, or profound insight
2.particular poems considered collectively: all the poems written by a particular poet, in a particular language or form, or on a particular subject
3.writing of poems: the art or skill of writing poems

On to your points.
'In poetry lessons we learn how to write debates.' I don't know about you, but to me POETRY lesson implies that we learn about and how to do POETRY.
You have said that we 'do not use poetry' in our modern day life. I'm not disputing that theory, but what I want to draw attention to is the fact that we do not exactly go around using, for example, Chemistry, but no one is disputing that we should teach that! Therefore, your point is rendered invalid by the fact that poetry is not the only subject that is 'not usable in real life'. If you wish to argue that Chemistry can be used, well consider the billions of poets around the globe who use it, and I'll come on to this.

'There is usually a lot of make(sic) up words'
Yes, so what? In fact, one of the greatest poets of all time- Shakespeare- made up the word road. [1] What would we call a road, if Shakespeare had not invented it? The word 'twerk' is entirely made up, but you understand it, no?

'The words are not understandable and the words used is usually old fashion (sic).'
Incorrect. A poem is one of the hardest things to pin down. The poem below is contemporary one.
In the Sea of it all
Waves of anxiety crash over me
And I drown in self-doubt.
There are guppies,
And there are sharks...
I let them make me feel small.
The effects evident in superficial markings.
Obstacles not well suited for soME,
Yet enforced for all.
Logic is lost.
And water will always run.
Although the end is upstream
I'm
Going
Down.

I assume you can understand this.
That was my rebuttal.
I believe I need only one point to finish off my debate.

Languge is poetry. Indeed, everytime you express your love- 'you are the flower of my heart'- that is poetry.
The barrier is so thin as to be nonexistent.

Thank you to my opponent, and I await his repply.

[1]http://www.nosweatshakespeare.com...
Hungkeng

Pro

Hungkeng forfeited this round.
alexmiller887

Con

Extend all arguments and rebuttals.
Vote Con!
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
Hungkengalexmiller887Tied
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Hungkengalexmiller887Tied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G clearly goes to Con who took the effort of quoting with the [sic] tag without rubbing those mistakes in. His arguments were well-built, he supplied examples. Arguments go to him.