Stupidape
PowerPikachu21

Pokemon Go encourages dog and cock fighting.

Stupidape

Pro

If you played Pokemon Go, the game is similar to dog fighting. You run around enslaving animals, drug them via stardust, and then force them to duke it out. This encouraging animal fighting of all kinds. I am not alone in this train of thought. [0]

0. http://www.dailydot.com...
PowerPikachu21

Con

Isn't the whole Pokemon franchise about Pokemon fighting other Pokemon, not just the app?

I'll wait for my opponent to make their argument first.
Stupidape

Pro

"Isn't the whole Pokemon franchise about Pokemon fighting other Pokemon, not just the app?" PowerPikachu21

You are correct, yet that only helps make my point.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I thank Pro for continuing the debate. I suppose I start my argument.

Argument:

So what is Pokemon? It's a video game and cartoon of kids growing bonds with their caught Pokemon, usually by battling. This is common knowledge, which is similar to what a dog fight is. Looking at the internet, PETA is an organization that believes it's encouraging animal abuse. But how similar are these two?

Let's see:

Pokemon: Fictional animals fight, kid friendly, no blood or death. It's a video game, and not against the law/

Dog Fight: Real animals fight, gory, and with death. This is real life, and will probably get you punished, either by your parents, or maybe the law.

Sure, Pokemon is basically a dog fight. But it's not exactly the same thing. The game doesn't state that you should make pets fight, it just has a penguin shooting bubbles at a chicken. It basically is a fact that they have similarities, but I think many people are against animal crulety, and won't have dog fights. But some of those people probably don't mind the fictional world of Pokemon, where you're gaining information on these fictional creatures, as well as becoming friends with the Pokemon.

In order to say it actually encourages dog fighting, there must be statistical evidence that dog fights are raising nowadays, because of Pokemon. I only ask if the dog fights are increasing, not necessarily that a correlation is shown. So what will it be?

(I admit it's difficult to disprove the resolution, but the burden's mainly on Pro.)
Stupidape

Pro

"I only ask if the dog fights are increasing, not necessarily that a correlation is shown. So what will it be?"PowerPikachu21

Not enough time has elapsed for a scientific peer reviewed study. Yet, we are encouraging the act of fighting and we are getting desensitized to it by playing the game. Overall, it sets a bad precedence. Instead of using Pokemon Go, I will take the broader approach and attack all violent video games.

"Children may become less sensitive to the pain and suffering of others.Children may be more fearful of the world around them.Children may be more likely to behave in aggressive or harmful ways toward others." [3]

"A 2010 review by psychologist Craig A. Anderson and others concluded that “the evidence strongly suggests that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, and aggressive affect and for decreased empathy and prosocial behavior.” " [3]

Impact, video games may make children less sensitive to pain and suffering of others. This is bad, because people will react less when experiencing dog fighting in the physical world. Children may also behave more aggressive or harmful ways towards others. In other words violent video games in general make children more likely to participate in dog and cockfighting.

Conclusion, there is scientific research to show that violence in the media, that includes Pokemon Go increases aggression and harm while desensitizing children to the pain and suffering of others.

Btw, dog fighting is still going strong. :( [4].

1. http://heatst.com...
2. http://features.peta.org...
3. http://www.apa.org...
4. http://www.cnn.com...
PowerPikachu21

Con

Pro is unable to really prove that Pokemon's popularity rises with dog fighting. Sure, there's a small increase from 2000 to 2007, and some of them may perhaps relate to Pokemon, but I don't think it's enough to say that Pokemon has promoted dog fighting.

Ultimately, it comes down to the voters. Does Pokemon ecourage dog fighting? I say it promotes itself more than an illegal blood sport. A game about strategy, fantasy creatures, and mythology, versus something that involves the murdering of real life pets. When putting it like that, it sounds very different. But both Pokemon and dog fights cause harm. So does Pokemon encourage dog fighting to be point that it should be banned? I wouldn't say that. So what do you guys think?
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: BackCommander// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Pro is drawing vague connections using information from mostly unreliable sources. The biggest flaw in his logic comes from thinking a game involving catching and fighting undying semi immortal supernatural creatures is somehow encouraging people to participate in dog fights. By your logic games about laser tag encourage school shootings and games like "Papers, Please" encourage terrorism. Con gets my vote.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is required to specifically assess arguments made by both debaters or explain why Pro failed to meet his BoP. The voter does neither here, assessing neither side's arguments and appearing to include at least part of his own arguments in the RFD.
************************************************************************
Posted by Prof.Pingas 6 months ago
Prof.Pingas
*Worse than a violent movie or book.
Posted by Prof.Pingas 6 months ago
Prof.Pingas
I have to go with pika on this one. What is it about violent video games that makes them somehow worse or book?
Posted by Stupidape 6 months ago
Stupidape
""A 2010 review by psychologist Craig A. Anderson and others concluded that "the evidence strongly suggests that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, and aggressive affect and for decreased empathy and prosocial behavior." " [3]"

This seems like pokemon Go encourages dog fighting to me. BackCommander, how are my sources unreliable?
Posted by warren42 6 months ago
warren42
I'd like to accept this, but as I just accepted your veganism one, I'm unable to do so until that debate concludes. Would you be willing to modify the debate settings to issue a specific challenge against me?