Pokemon Go is causing/will cause harm to society

madmax13 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/21/2016 Category: Games

Round one is acceptance. Rounds two and three will be used for main arguments and refutation. In round 4 no new points can be made, but refutations can be made and you can give more support to points already made.
I will argue that the recent mobile game Pok"mon Go is causing harm to our society.
My opponent will argue the opposite.
Thanks to my opponent and to the judges.

:) Cheers

The brand new mobile game Pokemon Go is quickly gaining popularity at an unprecedented speed. As the game becomes more popular however, more people are realizing the dangers of it. The game uses a phone"s GPS locator so as to make a virtual reality. As one walks around in the real world a Pokemon might appear on one"s phone so that the user can capture it. These Pokemon can then be trained at "gyms" which are real locations such as a gravesite or a police station. In addition, there is also something called a lure module which causes pokemon to appear more frequently in your location for anyone playing the game.
I believe that this game is causing unintended harm to our society. I have three main points.
1: Social Interaction
2: Unintended Injuries
3: intended harm

To begin with, the game represents a danger to the building of relationships and our interaction between each other. Because the game is easiest to use while moving around, whenever an avid player goes anywhere that person must have the game playing otherwise they have just "wasted time." Whereas with other video games or even mobile games, people always have the option to wait on playing until they get home, Pokemon Go players have to be out and about. Therefore, if a gamer wants to be proficient at the game, they must have the game on whenever they go anywhere. If you wanted to go out for coffee with a friend of yours who is hooked on the game, be sure that he/she will have the game on when he arrives at least. Since the player is already out of the house why not use that time to capture Pokemon instead of waiting till he has no desire to leave his house? As a result, Pokemon Go will cause people to pay more attention to their augmented reality than their actual reality; their friends.

My second point is that because of the nature of the augmented reality, people become so absorbed into the game that they stop paying attention to the world around them. Because of this people may accidentally injure themselves. Users may trip over objects or place themselves in other dangerous situations while remaining completely oblivious to the threat. If you don"t believe me read these.

Part of this second article leads into my third point. Criminals are using Pokemon Go to lure in their victims. Several incidents have already been reported even though the game is still in its infancy.
According to "The [police have] recorded around eight or nine Pok"mon-themed robberies so far." Source is below

For these reasons, I believe that Pokemon Go, while undoubtedly fun is causing harm to America.
Posted by dmessy 3 months ago
Anyone know why it is taking so long for the system to update?
Posted by Emmarie 3 months ago
This should be interesting. I haven't formed an opinion yet, so I will be reading as you post your arguments.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
Ironically, I have yet to get Pokemon Go. But I have heard that people will murder for things in the game.