cheesedingo1
ConservativePolitico

Pokemon Is better than Yu-Gi-Oh

cheesedingo1

cheesedingo1

Pro

Hello, and welcome to a very nerd-friendly debate. In this debate, I will be saying how pokemon is far superior to that of Yu-Gi-Oh. When I was younger, I was absolutely obsessed with Pokemon, and still to this day, I can tell you a lot about any pokemon from versions 1 through 3. I still know a bit about gen 4 and a little bit about gen 5. So challenge me! Bring it on!

Rules:

1. You may not focus primarily on generation 5.
2. You may not say that "gen 1 and 2 were the only good ones".
3. You can't argue against generation six as not much is known about it yet.

I think that's it, and please only accept if your an experienced debater. No debaters with only 1 debate under their belt.

Pokemon for the win!

ConservativePolitico

Con

Yu-Gi-Oh is clearly superior to Pokemon.

It's time to duel!

(I would like to say this now, in advance, to keep your bias out of the voting period when it comes around. Thank you potential voters.)
cheesedingo1

Pro

pokemon debate

I thank ConservativePolitico for accepting this debate, and I hope he looks forward to losing! But seriously, good luck to you, CP!

Contention 1: SO MANY OPTIONS:

For Yu-Gi-Oh, the main thing is the card game, a manga series, and I guess the show. But Pokemon has a huge gaming franchise, a very long running TV show (since 1997), a card game (while not as popular as the yugioh card game, it's still popular), a manga series and large amounts of merchandise sold throughout the world. A lot of people don't have many video game systems or can't afford some of them. Pokemon is on practically every video game system and allows hours of entertainment! SO MANY OPTIONS!

Contention 2: IT HAS MANY HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT:
For Yu-Gi-Oh, the main thing is the card game. You can spend alot of time on making decks and stuff, but how long before making decks and dueling people does it get old? Your just dueling, and there's not much else. The Pokemon games allow hours and hours of entertainment. It has a storyline, bosses, minigames, and lots of goals to try and acheive. Yu-Gi-Oh is a card game! There is no storyline, no minigames, and I guess you could count bosses if you battle tough dulers, but that's about it.

Contention 3: IT'S CHEAPER:
Average Pokemon game: $20-$40 depending on the game and store you go to. Cost to get a storebought Yu-Gi-Oh deck: $10-$20. While it seems like Yu-Gi-Oh would win this one, the Yu-Gi-Oh decks are labeled "starter deck", as in just to start you off. It's like weed, kind of. A "gateway deck", if you will. If you want really good cards and form a perfect deck that is personilzed with the cards you want, we're talking about hundreds of dollars! These things are expensive! Blue Eyes White Dragon, arguably the most popular card for Yu-Gi-Oh, costs $5-$15 average on ebay [1]. A Yu-Gi-Oh deck has to have a minimum of 40 cards. So, if you get the minimum amount of 40 cards, and then every card you buy is as cheap as $5 (which it probably isn't), we're talking about a $200 dollar deck.

That is all! I just outlined the basics and I will try to go into more detail later. Good luck, CP!

[1] http://www.ebay.com...

ConservativePolitico

Con

I am going to start off by refuting my opponents arguments first then moving on to presenting my own.

C1: SO MANY OPTIONS

My opponent tries to claim that Pokémon has more options than Yu-Gi-Oh when it comes to the breadth of the series. But this simply is not the case. Yu-Gi-Oh had a robust TV series that ran from 1998-2006 hosting 5 seasons of the "original" characters. (1), and that was without with more recent Yu-Gi-OH GX and Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds offshoots. Yu-Gi-Oh GX ran from 2004-2008 and had 4 seasons. (2) My opponent then claims that Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't match up with Pokémon on terms of video games, which is simply not true either.Yu-Gi-Oh has 49 games across 14 gaming platforms stretching all the way from the original GameBoy. (3) Looking at the argument, both Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon have manga series, card games (which my opponent ceded to Yu-Gi-Oh as being better), a long running TV series and video games. I can't see an area where Pokémon truly stretches far ahead of Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of options and breadth.

C2: IT HAS MANY HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT

Yu-Gi-Oh also has many hours of entertainment. Like chess, Yu-Gi-Oh has thousands of strategic options that keeps you coming back time and time again. If you want a story line and bosses and such, buy one of the 49 Yu-Gi-Oh video games and play through it. Or watch the TV show which has dozens of episodes that add in storyline, bosses and such. Yu-Gi-Oh is not "just a card game" it's an entire franchise. If you like clicking a button and watching Pokémon with four attacks battle each other for hours, you'll get hours of entertainment, if you enjoy strategically building your deck, dueling people of all types in a way that no two duels are the same then you'll get far more rewarding hours of entertainment out of Yu-Gi-Oh. You are silly to think that Yu-Gi-Oh is "just a card game".

C3: IT'S CHEAPER

Average Pokémon game: $20-$40... for a single generation game. If you want to play you're original Pokémon Red version for the rest of your life then yes it costs you $20-$40 however, there are over 20 Pokémon games for the GameBoy platform (4) which all cost, we'll say $30. Even if you get only one game per generation and say two of the special games that's at least 8 games at $30 which is $240. Then my opponent falsely assumes that everyone is going to go buy their deck card by card for exorborant prices on eBay when a pack of Yu-Gi-Oh cards at a retail store goes for around $3 and has around 9 cards so each card is $0.33 not $5. Pokémon also has a card game, which has starter decks and extremely expensive cards on eBay, something my opponent fails to mention. There is no evidence that Pokémon is any cheaper than Yu-Gi-Oh.

Now that I have neutralized my opponents arguments I will make my own.

A. Strategic Depth

Yu-Gi-Oh has vast strategic depth in a way Pokémon does not. There are trap cards, special effect monsters, magic cards, field cards, sacrifices to set monsters etc. Where Pokémon you only have to worry about who super effects who in an almost Rock Paper Scissors fashion, Yu-Gi-Oh has strategy that makes it a thinking mans game. You have to build your deck to be perfect if you want to be any good. Each card has a purpose. Pokémon mainly relies on who is the strongest while Yu-Gi-Oh relies more on who is the smartest in their play style and deck construction. The strategy in Yu-Gi-Oh makes the game far superior to Pokémon.

B. It's Social

The crux of the Pokémon series is its handheld games which is what most people indulge in when doing Pokémon related activities. Sure, you can battle your friends and trade Pokémon but who really does that? Let's be real, if you're playing Pokémon you're in your room on a sunny afternoon trying to level up your newly acquired Ice Pokémon to beat the Dragon gym. Yu-Gi-Oh is far more social in the way that you have to duel actual people in person. You can team duel, trade cards, have tournaments with your friends. The game lends itself to being much more social than Pokémon is on a regular occasion. This social component adds to the fun of the whole Yu-Gi-Oh experience and nudges it ahead in my book.

C. Crux v Crux

I am going to match up the Pokémon GameBoy games against the Yu-Gi-Oh card game. Both series have TV shows, manga, merchandise etc so I am going to compare what really matters. Pokémon handheld games are antisocial in nature, you have 4 attacks where people attack back and forth back and forth back and forth, there's no dodging or needed focus. You just press the A button over and over again. The Yu-Gi-Oh card game is strategically far superior, every duel is majorly different, there are far more Yu-Gi-Oh cards than Pokémon. There are less than 500 Pokémon but there are thousands upon thousands of Yu-Gi-Oh cards to collect and connect and strategize with. The Pokémon games have their charm but on terms of replaybility (how many times can you watch Pikachu evolve?), social interaction, strategy and longevity Yu-Gi-Oh is king. Each Pokémon game is almost exactly the same from the way you start the game to the end game with the Pokémon League while you can build different Yu-Gi-Oh decks for years!

That is all.

(1) http://www.imdb.com...
(2) http://www.imdb.com...
(3) http://yugioh.wikia.com...

cheesedingo1

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his well thought out arguments. But alas, I will never concede!

I will be defending my arguments and then attacking my opponents.

C1: SO MANY OPTIONS

For the TV show, my opponent has his facts wrong. The first TV show for Yu-Gi-Oh came out in 2000 in Japan, and 2001 in the US [1]. If we count all of the GX and 5D series including the original, that is less than 13 years total since it's first release in Japan. The first Pokemon episode started in 1997 in Japan and 1998 in the US[2], meaning that Pokemon has been around for a little less than 16 years, surpassing Yu-Gi-Oh by 3 years. My opponent says that Yu-Gi-Oh has 49 games across 14 gaming platforms, and that is true. But Pokemon has 64 games[3]. 64 GAMES. If logic is still around, 64 is still more than 49, so I beleive I win that point.

C2: IT HAS MANY HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT:

My opponent is comparing Yu-Gi-Oh to chess, but can one really enjoy playing chess for hours and hours and hours? I'm sure a couple people do, but on the whole, no. When people play Yu-Gi-Oh, they don't play it for hours and hours. With Pokemon, people play it for hours and hours! They seriously do! And if you get tired of one of the Pokemon game, THERE ARE 63 MORE OTHER ONES. And all of them are filled with hours and hours of entertainment! My opponent also says "watch the TV show" saying it adds 'bosses and such". But that's the characters in the show battling bosses, not you. And my opponent words the Pokemon games as "clicking a button and watching Pokémon with four attacks battle each other for hours", but it is much more than that. You travel through different lands, battling different rivals, bosses, travelling around, and trying to become the best there ever was. With Yu-Gi-Oh, it's just putting cards on a mat up, down, or sideways and calculating math inside your head for how much life points you have left. Sounds like lots of fun. And yes, it is "just a card game."

C3: IT'S CHEAPER
My opponent says that it will cost $240 dollars for 8 games of pokemon, but a lot of people just have one or 2 games, which is enough for hours of entertainment. I suppose a hard Pokemon fan would buy lots of games and then it would be expensive, but the same could be said for a hard Yu-Gi-Oh fan. If you are a Pokemon fan and want a rare Pokemon, how much does it cost to trade one over Wi-Fi? In terms of cash, $0. If you want a rare Yu-Gi-Oh card, how much will it cost to buy one? At least 20 dollars for a rare card. $20 dollars over $0? That's a no brainer! And my opponent says that a pack of Yu-Gi-Oh cards at a retail store goes for $3 for a pack of nine, but it is more like 5 dollars for a pack of 8. So we're still talking about 63 cents a card. So if you want a 40 card deck, it will cost you $25 dollars. But that is if you are lucky enough to get every single card the exact card that you want in 5 booster packs, which is impossible. To get that one certain card, or to get each of the cards you want, you will have to buy them each individually and it will cost a lot to buy each one seperately. And yes, there are Pokemon cards, but they are not the main part of the franchise. The games are, just like the cards are the main part of Yu-Gi-Oh. And There is also no proof that Yu-Gi-Oh is cheaper in terms of cards than Pokemon, either, so this point will be dropped since neither side can provide evidence supporting a side. Also, if you are missing a vital Yu-Gi-Oh card for a deck, your pretty much screwed, so if you want every card in your perfect deck to be just right, it's going to cost you a lot of money.
So for C3, the average single Pokemon game costs $20-$40 dollars. On average, a personalized Yu-Gi-Oh deck will cost at least a hundred dollars.

Oh my god, I thought I had finished my round, but I still have to attack my opponents points!

A. Strategic Depth:
My opponent lists some of the things in Yu-Gi-Oh that make strategic depth, but he doesn't say anything for Pokemon. There are items, what moves you use for each pokemon, abilities, physical attacks, stat attacks, team attacks, special attacks, the type of the attacks, the types of the pokemon, status condition, the gender, etc. all of these add dificulty and strategy to the game. It isn't just just rock paper scissors, it's more than that. My opponent says "each card has a purpose" well so do the pokemon. Each has individual abilites, attacks, gender ratios etc., making for very diverse and strategic gameplay. And my opponent says that Yu-Gi-Oh relies on brains while Pokemon is purely physical. That is not true: knowing how to use each of your Pokemon in unicine with eachother, and matching up attack types to cover up their weaknesses. And Yu-Gi-Oh also has the use of brawn as well. Which would win in a fight: Obelisk the Tormentor or a Celtic Guardian, on their own with no spell or traps in consideration? Obviously brawn and power is one of the main things used in the Yu-Gi-Oh game.

B. It's Social
While it is true that Pokemon may seem anti-social, it is not. Often when you battle with people around you through wireless connection, you talk to eachother about stuff like "oh crap! How did you get that?" or "Damn! when did you get that guy?" which leads to casual conversation during gameplay. When I play against my brother, that's what we often do. Yu-Gi-Oh, on the other hand isn't. It is easy to find someone with a gaming system these days. As of 2008, 72% of Americans own gaming consoles[4]. And that is 4 years ago, so it has gone up since then! It is higher than 72%! That means the chance of finding someone with a gaming console is way easier than finding someone with a full deck of Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

C:CRUX V.S. CRUX

Here's my view: Pokemon has vast lands and many places to travel through over many regions and collect a team of warriors you have grown to admire, using your mind to strategically choose which attacks should go with which guys, which abilites, which items etc., eventually trying to be the very best, like no one ever was. Yu-Gi-Oh is a card game where you put them in positions on a mat, with cards that alot of different cards have the same abilities, but just different images. If your missing a vital card, your deck is pretty much ruined and winning is near impossible. If you don't have a guy in Pokemon you deem "vital to your team", you can easily get and train another one.

Wow, tough round! Good luck, CP!

[1]http://yugioh.wikia.com...

[2]http://pokemon.wikia.com...!

[3]http://en.wikipedia.org...

[4]http://www.military.com...

ConservativePolitico

Con

ConservativePolitico forfeited this round.
Posted by BennyW 3 years ago
BennyW
Con could have brought up the Abridged series. Does Pokemon have one? I don't think so.
Posted by cheesedingo1 3 years ago
cheesedingo1
Wow. Troll's these days.
Posted by BrutalMoustache 3 years ago
BrutalMoustache
and no i wasnt raised, i had to fend for myself .
Posted by BrutalMoustache 3 years ago
BrutalMoustache
its called a joke, sorry you've never heard of it before. Let me give you the definition so you understand:
'something said to induce laughter or amusement'
Posted by cheesedingo1 3 years ago
cheesedingo1
@brutalmoustache you just completely contradicted yourself. and digimon? were you raised right?
Posted by BrutalMoustache 3 years ago
BrutalMoustache
anyways digimon is DA BEST!!!
Posted by BrutalMoustache 3 years ago
BrutalMoustache
Subjective opinion cannot come to an objective determination of which is better. There is realistically no way to determine this unless you set a standard of what makes one better, and anything you set as a standard would be subjective.
Posted by Tes95 3 years ago
Tes95
.................................... XD I love this, I love it.
Posted by Maikuru 3 years ago
Maikuru
Season 1-3 vs Season 1-3 would be a good debate, though they've both become unrecognizable at this point.
Vote Placed by sadolite 3 years ago
sadolite
cheesedingo1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: opponent forfeited round, automatic loss in my opinion.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
cheesedingo1ConservativePoliticoTied
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
cheesedingo1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nasty unscrupulous forfeitter!!!!!!!
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 3 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
cheesedingo1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nooooo, CP forfeited. Oh well, Pro wins.