urapai
OtakuJordan

Pokemon is better than yu gi oh

OtakuJordan
Started: 12/14/2013 Category: Games

urapai

Pro

There is more to pokemon than meets the eye. Con will be in favour of yu gi oh. I await your arguments.
OtakuJordan

Con

As Pro has not presented any arguments, I assume that the first round is for acceptance.

Please state your case, Pro.
urapai

Pro

Pokemon demonstrates a fun, entertaining way to spend your time for all ages. People live their entire lives with Pokemon, that is how fun it is. You challenge yourself to level up, and work hard to catch rare and cool friends to go on a journey with you. In yu gi oh, you buy cards and set it up in a strategic deck, which you use to defeat others. You pay a lot of money for these cards to, some people who are so invested in this spend over 80$ for their decks. It is a waste of money, and also you don't always play. You only play when you have a friend with you, or a opponent of any kind. In pokemon, you can face computers and face various challenges pre programmed in the game. Also you can play with people all over the world, and play with you friends. In yu gi oh, you buy decks, and usually the more money spent the better deck, which I believe is unfair. If someone doesn't have as much as money as the others, they can never become the best. In pokemon video games, you can catch all sorts of pokemon and train them specifically, with no extra money having to be spent. If a kid has 40$ dollars, he is good to go, he doesn't need to keep buying more pokemon, because the pokemon are already in the game.

Pokemon also has a bigger franchise. Think about it, if you go up to a normal person, which one will he know? A pikachu or winged dragon of Ra? Pokemon has a longer chain of games and activities. Yu gi oh only has the card game, and video games that involve the card game. Pokemon has video games, more video games, toys, a card game (however this card game is bad, we all know that yu gi oh has a better card game) and much more.

Also, though people think that yu gi oh has more strategy, that is not necessarily true. In pokemon, you catch specific pokemon that will complement others, just like in yu gi oh where you have ritual cards to summon special monsters. Also in pokemon, your pokemon can be things like hasty, modest and brave which boost their stats in some areas and lowers them in others, and you choose which one complements your pokemon, his abillity, his moveset and his item.
Not so non-strategic now is it? Also, EV training is another way to specifically train your pokemon. There is also breeding moves, where you breed to pokemon so that you get a pokemon that has specific moves, where do you see that in yu gi oh? And there is also happiness, which gives your pokemon specific moves, or helps them evolve. And there are also pokemon that evolve into more than 1 other pokemon, so you need to strategically choose the perfect match for your team. And don't forget type match-ups, which type is stronger against other types, which pokemon have the least weaknesses etc.

For now, I await for my opponent to respond.
OtakuJordan

Con

Thank you for your arguments, Pro.

Rebuttals

"Pokemon demonstrates a fun, entertaining way to spend your time for all ages. People live their entire lives with Pokemon, that is how fun it is. You challenge yourself to level up, and work hard to catch rare and cool friends to go on a journey with you."

None of these points are relevant. Yu-Gi-Oh! also has many lifelong fans, and in fact the average Yu-Gi-Oh! player is slightly older than the average Pokémon player.[1] Yu-Gi-Oh! also has a competition-with-self aspect, as players try to improve their decks and implement new strategies into their gameplay.

As far as "work[ing] hard to catch rare and cool friends," Yu-Gi-Oh! has a close equivalent. Opening a new pack and finding a rare card is every bit as exciting for a Yu-Gi-Oh! player as acquiring a rare Pokémon is for a Pokémon player.

"In yu gi oh, you buy cards and set it up in a strategic deck, which you use to defeat others. You pay a lot of money for these cards to, some people who are so invested in this spend over 80$ for their decks. You pay a lot of money for these cards to, some people who are so invested in this spend over 80$ for their decks. It is a waste of money, [...] You only play when you have a friend with you, or a opponent of any kind. In pokemon, you can face computers and face various challenges pre programmed in the game. [...] In yu gi oh, you buy decks, and usually the more money spent the better deck, which I believe is unfair. If someone doesn't have as much as money as the others, they can never become the best. In pokemon video games, you can catch all sorts of pokemon and train them specifically, with no extra money having to be spent. If a kid has 40$ dollars, he is good to go, he doesn't need to keep buying more pokemon, because the pokemon are already in the game."

This is a comparison of apples to oranges. The Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise has video games as well. With this in mind, it is only fair to compare the TCGs to the TCGs and the video games to the video games.

Pro points out, correctly, that Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are expensive and that some players pay a lot of money for their decks. However, the same can be said for the Pokémon TCG. In fact, Pokémon cards are even more expensive than Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. The suggested retail price for a Pokémon started deck is approximately $14, whereas the suggested retail price for a Yu-Gi-Oh! starter deck is about $12.

A Yu-Gi-Oh! video game can be bought for about $40, the same price as a Pokémon game, and, like Pokémon, no additional money need then be spent. In fact, since the Pokémon experience is primarily about the video game, many Pokémon fans collect multiple games. After adding up the cost of the games and the consoles, Pokémon fans pay as much or more than Yu-Gi-Oh! fans for their hobby.

Yu-Gi-Oh! video games allow worldwide competition as well.

"Pokemon also has a bigger franchise. Think about it, if you go up to a normal person, which one will he know? A pikachu or winged dragon of Ra? Pokemon has a longer chain of games and activities. Yu gi oh only has the card game, and video games that involve the card game. Pokemon has video games, more video games, toys, a card game (however this card game is bad, we all know that yu gi oh has a better card game) and much more."

I will concede that Pokémon is more generally known than Yu-Gi-Oh! and sells more spin-off products, but this is not a proof of quality. Justin Bieber sells more products than Beethoven, but that does not mean that Bieber is the superior musician.

Also, my opponent is incorrect in his assertion that Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise "only has the card game, and video games that involve the card game." The Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise produces:
  • An anime, with multiple incarnations and spin-offs
  • A manga, also with multiple incarnations and spin-offs
  • Video games
  • The TCG
  • Novels
  • Films
  • Toys
  • Accessories[2]

Essentially, everything that the Pokémon franchise produces. And in fact, Yu-Gi-Oh! has just as many games as Pokémon.[3][4]

"In pokemon, you catch specific pokemon that will complement others, just like in yu gi oh where you have ritual cards to summon special monsters."

If it "just like in yu gi oh" then how is this point relevant? And in fact, Yu-Gi-Oh! is far more complex than that. Not only does a player have to think through how to incorporate Ritual monsters into their decks and play style, they must also utilize Fusion, Tuner, Synchro, Dark Synchro and Xyz monsters. There are numerous summoning mechanics that come into play when using these monsters, including Normal, Set, Flip, Tribute, Fusion, Contact Fusion, Transformation Summon, Ritual, Synchro, Dark Synchro, Accel Synchro, Delta Accel Synchro, Limit Over Accel Synchro, Double Tuning, Xyz and Xyz Evolution.[5]

"Also in pokemon, your pokemon can be things like hasty, modest and brave which boost their stats in some areas and lowers them in others, and you choose which one complements your pokemon, his abillity, his moveset and his item."

Yu-Gi-Oh! monsters have twenty-three possible Types, ranging from things like Rock to Creator-God.[6] On top of this, there are also seven official and one unofficial Attributes, such as Water and Dark.[7] All of these effect gameplay in a way that is far more advanced than the "hasty, modest, brave..." attributes in Pokémon, because these effects must be used to the best possible advantage within a deck of forty to sixty cards.

"Also, EV training is another way to specifically train your pokemon. There is also breeding moves, where you breed to pokemon so that you get a pokemon that has specific moves, where do you see that in yu gi oh? And there is also happiness, which gives your pokemon specific moves, or helps them evolve. And there are also pokemon that evolve into more than 1 other pokemon, so you need to strategically choose the perfect match for your team. And don't forget type match-ups, which type is stronger against other types, which pokemon have the least weaknesses etc."

Naturally, a card game isn't going to have such features. That, however, does not make Pokémon more strategic than Yu-Gi-Oh! by a long shot. Yu-Gi-Oh! deck builders incorporate things such as Traps, Spells (and all of their various sub-sets), Monsters, Side Decks and many other things into their strateges to create an overarching strategy theme. All of this can hardly be trumped by a cheap mechanic such as having one type be strong or weak against another.

Arguments

Now for some reasons as to why Yu-Gi-Oh! is better than Pokémon. I will have four contentions.

Contention #1 - Yu-Gi-Oh! has better artwork
This can hardly be contested. Please watch the theme song videos of the two shows if you doubt me.

Contention #2 - Yu-Gi-Oh! is a more social activity
Pokémon players experience their hobby mainly through the games, whereas Yu-Gi-Oh! players experience the hobby mainly through the card game. Of course, Pokémon players can battle their friends, but that is not the main experience, and it certainly does not compare to a Yu-Gi-Oh! tourney or meeting friends at a café to trade and duel over a latte.

Contention #3 - Yu-Gi-Oh! involves more strategy
This has already been shown in the rebuttals.

Contention #4 - Yu-Gi-Oh! has a better manga
The Yu-Gi-Oh! manga series has a rating of 7.53 on MAL.[8] In contrast, the average rating of the Pokémon manga is 5.3.[9]

I look forward to my opponent's response.

1. http://www.top8magic.com...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...!
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
4. http://yugioh.wikia.com...
5. http://yugioh.wikia.com...
6. Ibid.
7. http://yugioh.wikia.com...
8. http://myanimelist.net...
9. http://myanimelist.net...

urapai

Pro

To start of: "None of these points are relevant. Yu-Gi-Oh! also has many lifelong fans"

You explain how there are lifelong fans, however the majority of these children start playing at the age of 8 years old. The majority seem to fully understand the game at the age of 12. Since the game is so complicated, it is difficult for children to enjoy it as well. Also, the average yugioh players stop investing or playing by the age of 35. Not so life long now is it?

http://www.virtualpet.com...

Secondly: And in fact, Yu-Gi-Oh! has just as many games as Pok"mon.

Though this is true, pokemon games are much more popular and receive more money per game. Pokemon X and Y alone sold over 1 million units in a day. "Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers" Only sold 0.10 million.

http://ca.ign.com...
http://www.vgchartz.com...

thirdly: " Yu-Gi-Oh! has better artwork"

The art does not make it better. Also, art is opinionated, some people see pokemon's anime art better. Also you did not mention if you meant the card's art or the anime. And I believe in the anime, pokemon has better artwork.

Fourthly:" Yu-Gi-Oh! is a more social activity"

When I play pokemon with my friends, we usually compare pokemon, trade a talk about other players on-line we have faced. Usually we are amazed by each others pokemon and speak about strategies to catch the best pokemon, or how we should set up our team. And usually we yell in amazement on how powerfull they are. When I play yugioh, it's usually putting card's down, and occasionally saying "good move" or "nice card". And then stating your attack. This isn't very social if you ask me.

Now for my points:

Pokemon has a better anime. Though both animes aren't very good, pokemon is better. It is more entertaining, and follows one story, with a variety of interesting rivals and side characters. Yugioh keeps changing, and everyone loses interrest. Look at yugioh zexal, it is just terrible.

The manga is all connected. In Yugioh, all the series are separated. In pokemon adventures, the trainers meet. For example when yellow and gold met. This makes the manga more interesting.

A pokemon team can be good with any pokemon if you play the game properly. In Yugioh, the better the deck you have, the better you are, which doesn't measure the skill of the player, but how rich he is, or how lucky he got with the deck he got.
OtakuJordan

Con

Rebuttals

"You explain how there are lifelong fans, however the majority of these children start playing at the age of 8 years old. The majority seem to fully understand the game at the age of 12. Since the game is so complicated, it is difficult for children to enjoy it as well. Also, the average yugioh players stop investing or playing by the age of 35. Not so life long now is it?"

The article you linked to made no mention of when the average Yu-Gi-Oh! player quits the game. Unless you can provide a proper citation for this statement then it should be considered to be invalid.

Also, I would like to point out that the article you linked to actually says, "Yu-Gi-Oh is somewhat similar to Pokemon. It is more complex than Pokemon. Plus while Pokemon emphasized collecting ALL the monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh emphasizes strategy (hopefully easier on the pocketbook)."[1] Your own source refutes some of your previous points.

"Though this is true, pokemon games are much more popular and receive more money per game. Pokemon X and Y alone sold over 1 million units in a day. "Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers" Only sold 0.10 million."

Again, popularity is not the same as quality. This point is irrelevant.

"The art does not make it better. Also, art is opinionated, some people see pokemon's anime art better. Also you did not mention if you meant the card's art or the anime. And I believe in the anime, pokemon has better artwork."

The artwork of a show or game can indeed make it better. Yu-Gi-Oh! has better artwork in the TCG and the anime. While art may be subjective, that does not mean that there are not different levels of quality and skill displayed in different works of art. The art style in Yu-Gi-Oh! is far more intricate and complex.

"When I play pokemon with my friends, we usually compare pokemon, trade a talk about other players on-line we have faced. Usually we are amazed by each others pokemon and speak about strategies to catch the best pokemon, or how we should set up our team. And usually we yell in amazement on how powerfull they are. When I play yugioh, it's usually putting card's down, and occasionally saying "good move" or "nice card". And then stating your attack. This isn't very social if you ask me."

Perhaps Pokémon is a more enjoyable social activity for you and your friends because you enjoy it more? As I said before, the Pokémon hobby is experienced mainly through the video games, a non-social activity for the most part. In contrast, Yu-Gi-Oh! is experienced mainly through the TCG, an inherently social activity.

"Pokemon has a better anime. Though both animes aren't very good, pokemon is better. It is more entertaining, and follows one story, with a variety of interesting rivals and side characters. Yugioh keeps changing, and everyone loses interrest. Look at yugioh zexal, it is just terrible."

My opponent did nothing to prove that Pokémon has a better anime. He simply asserted it. His statement that Zexal is terrible and that everyone loses interest in Yu-Gi-Oh! also went unsupported.

The fact that Yu-Gi-Oh! has had multiple incarnations is, in the minds of many, one of its greatest strengths. The fact that the series have an ending and resolution can be very enjoyable.

"The manga is all connected. In Yugioh, all the series are separated. In pokemon adventures, the trainers meet. For example when yellow and gold met. This makes the manga more interesting."

Again, connection is not inherently superior to resolution.

"A pokemon team can be good with any pokemon if you play the game properly. In Yugioh, the better the deck you have, the better you are, which doesn't measure the skill of the player, but how rich he is, or how lucky he got with the deck he got."

Considering that thought goes into which cards to buy and that players also have the option of trading for cards, this point is irrelevant.

Voting points

I would now like to offer some voting points, or things that the voters should consider while making their decisions.
  1. 1. My opponent did not respond to my assertion that Yu-Gi-Oh! involves more strategy.
  2. 2. My opponent failed to properly prove that the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga is inferior.
  3. 3. My opponent's own sources confirm my points.
  4. 4. My opponent's main argument for Pokémon's quality was its popularity, which is a fallacy.

Thank you for debating me.

1. http://www.virtualpet.com...

Posted by Master123 2 years ago
Master123
Yugioh is better then Pikachu and his stupid crew
Posted by Gohan12345 2 years ago
Gohan12345
Yugioh there are video games that take stradegy
Posted by Gohan12345 2 years ago
Gohan12345
In pokemon you have to buy cards also its not only Yugioh so I disagree on 2nd round statement
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
bubbatheclown
I like pokemon better, but I must object to Pro's argument in Round 2. You imply there is only the Yu-Gi-Oh trading card game. There are also Yu-Gi-Oh video games (such as Yu-Gi-Oh: Dark Duel Stories and Reshef of Destruction), and in some of the more recent Yu-Gi-Oh video games you can battle people from all over the world, as has been done in Pokemon since Diamond and Pearl.
Posted by Gohan12345 2 years ago
Gohan12345
Yugioh is awesome and is better then pokemon. I might disagree on you for this one
Vote Placed by Gohan12345 2 years ago
Gohan12345
urapaiOtakuJordanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with con so before and after go to him 1. S&G because pro did not capitalize Yu-Gi-Oh 2. for conduct I just feel like giving him a point because that was a big argument the had and I just gave him the point for trying 3. Con gave specific reasons and showed many rebuttals and most of them were right 4. He had videos to back up the claim This makes me want to start the same debate again that Yugioh is better