PatriotPerson
Duncan

Pokemon is freakin creepy.

PatriotPerson

Pro

This is another PatriotPerson debate, brought to you by, well...PatriotPerson.

Anyways, I will argue that pokemon is creepy. Freakin creepy to be specific. You, opponent, will argue that it isn't!

Please, if you accept, you must be completely willing to do the entire debate (that means no forfeiting). I hate forfeiting.

ROUND ! IS FOR ACCEPTANCE! Oops I put an exclamation mark instead of a 1, but you know what I mean.

Good luck!
Duncan

Con

Very well! As a seasoned Pok"mon fan, I Mega-Absol-utely accept your debate. I only ask you grant me some leniency regarding X and Y, for I will be relying on an friend who has it for information. I also have an understanding of creepiness, having played Majora's Mask, so we can discuss these creepy moments with authority.

First up, as a "starter" fact, "causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease" is the definition we're going for here. Largely subjective, so feel free to object to it.

Secondly, under the many-worlds theory, all games are canon, and you can choose any game as an example.

Finally, I'll forgive you for your previous errors, but ctrl-shift ", or you forfeit automatically from now on for failing to address the title Pok"mon properly. (Joking here)

Good luck PatriotPerson, this will no doubt be a highly enjoyable debate!
(I will be using various Pok"puns throughout the debate, apologies in advance)

Duncan.
PatriotPerson

Pro

I will do this round through the use of Pokedex entries.

1. Drowzee

Pokemon Silver Version Pokedex entry: "it remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier".

So not only does Drowzee sit by beds and eat people's dreams, he sits by CHILDREN's beds and eats their dreams just because they're TASTIER. On to the next one.

2. Gastly

Pokemon Red and Blue Versions Pokedex entry: "Almost invisible, this gaseous pokemon cloaks the target and puts it to sleep without notice."

Kids, don't go in that old house, or else the Gastly will STRANGLE you until your UNCONSCIOUS. Be home by 6!

3. Kadabra

Pokemon FireRed Version Pokedex entry: "It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra."

So, is this saying that children can just transform into pokemon? That leaves us with the scary question: were all pokemon once children? If so, that means everyone who has ever played pokemon has kidnapped children, kept them in cages (pokeballs) and forced them to fight other children.

4. Duskull (there are two creepy entries)

Pokemon Platinum Version entry: "It loves the crying of children. It startles bad kids by passing through walls and making them cry."

Okay, so you've got a pokemon that loves the sound of children crying, so it scares them with its demonic methods. It says it targets bad children, so is Duskull supposed to be some demonic, harsher form of Santa Claus?

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Version entry: "If it finds bad children who won't listen to their parents, it will spirit them away - or so it is said."

So now not only does demonic Santa scare children, but he takes them to HELL.

One more for this round...

5. Drifloon

Pokemon Pearl Version entry: "It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead."

So, Drifloon is a pokemon that disguises itself as a balloon in order to kidnap children and "spirit them away". Spirit them where, exactly? Is it Hell again? Good job, Nintendo.
Duncan

Con

The issue of Pokedex entries is one I will duly explain with a counter-question. Let's imagine it here; you have fought your way through the darkest cave of the Sinnoh region, in a cave of misdirection. Upon the end of the cave, you behold a massive Ghost Dragon, Almost fifteen feet tall. You battle this beast, using a self made Ultra Ball Machine Gun, and finally, capture the legendary. You are then informed not only are you not the first to see this Pokemon, but it has name and several entries. As in, Oak already had every entry and merely used the whole adventure thing as an excuse to get rid of you and the other kids in your town. "It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World." is the entry for Giratina. But how did the Pokedex know this? Who banished it, if Arceus is not in your pokedex? This points to the idea that Oak is making up the entries himself, with no research done save for a couple of ten year-olds with poke balls.

Kadabra especially points out the flaws here; A boy turned into a Kadabra. Was he the first Kadabra? Does this make Human a pokemon? Can we evolve? If there was only one male kadabra, did he just f*** a load of dittos? If the first kadabra was a human, then where did the first Abra come from?

These are old stories made by adults to frighten bold children, akin to the Kappa legend in our world. They are not serious biological studies, and for this reason, I refuse to believe Oak is even a qualified professor, as he has done little to earn a P.H.D. in Pokemon.

The entries are written by an old man who has caught few pokemon, and while he claims to have been an experienced trainer, we see veterans a lot older than him still using pokemon, so we can chalk it down to him lying to children again.

The Pokedex is a flawed device about as reliable as an unsourced Wikipedia page. Most likely, I believe upon receiving an email from the Trainer regarding a new ghost type, Oak goes to creepypasta.com and finds something there. This is the end of the Pokedex as a source of creepiness, You still have three more rounds however, giving you plenty of time to search elsewhere.

Duncan.
PatriotPerson

Pro

The Pokedex takes entries from not only legend, but witness accounts of the pokemon. That includes adults, not just ten year olds with pokeballs. The entries are also found by scientific studies, and Oak is not the only one who writes them. Oak writes them for the Kanto region only. Elm writes for Johto, Birch writes for Hoenn, Rowan writes for Sinnoh, Juniper writes for Unova, and Sycamore writes for Kalos.

Therefore, most of t\your arguments about the truth flaws of the pokedex are wrong. Onto more reasons why pokemon is creepy.

Have you heard Hypno's lullaby? I'll have it in this argument, just in case you haven't. Hypno is the evolved form of Drowzee, whom I mentioned in my last argument. Hypno holds a pendulum, and loves to hypnotize people into sleep. According to one game's Pokedex, Hypno stole a child it hypnotized. Thus, Hypno's Lullaby was born. Don't listen to or watch it if it is close to night or you are tired.

EVIL POKEMON

GIRATINA IS THE DEVIL. I mean, it was banished by Arceus, Palkia and Dialga for its violent ways. Satan, much? Also, look. How many wings does it have? 6. How many things on its neck does it have? 6. How many spikes does it have along its sides? 6. Therefore, 666. Giratina is the Devil, Arceus is God.

Darkrai is evil. Darkrai is the legendary version of a word I can't say without this argument being against DDO rules. He spreads nightmares to a whole country, just for giggles. He makes everyone wet their beds and cry themselves back to sleep for GIGGLES. Plus, he even looks evil.

TentacoolBet you weren't expecting Tentacool! Tentacool uses its poisonous tentacle-stinger thingies to possess people and pokemon. Here is an example picture of one possessing a Meowth.
So what will Tentacool do to you? Kill you with its poisonous stingers, than possess you so it can do whatever it pleases with your body. So what does its evolved form, Tentacruel do? O.O

Duncan

Con

Legends are not viable sources of information, especially for a Professor. Since each professor uses these legends as source for the Pokedex, they discredit themselves. (By the way, each Professor answers to Oak anyway) In no way does Oak or any other Professor explain the science behind their techniques. Oak's method is to give 10 year-olds pokedexes and send them off. Elm does the same thing. Birch observes them in the field, and since he's obviously never left Littleroot, since he can't handle a lvl 3 zigzagoon, I doubt his credentials. Rowan ups his game by sending 3 children off not even giving one of them a pokedex. Finally, I do not have X or Y, but I imagine that Sycamore also sends children out in threes.

I would listen to the lullaby, but I can see the text reading "based on the creepypasta" already, so I'll give that a skip, as it's not even from the games.

Next, in defense of Giratina, I would like to remind you in Pokemon Soulsilver, it's possible to have him cuddle you because he loves you so much. Not demonic material, it seems. Net up, Cyrus explains the distorted world as the opposite stand of the DNA like world they dwell in, so he's more of an anti-matter pokemon.

Next up, Darkrai fled to Full Moon Island in Diamond because he didn't want to inflict nightmares. Due to its proximity to Half-Moon Island, Cresselia would easily be able to cure any rare cases.

I did a short test by making a female character and then fighting Tentacruel with a Magikarp until it fainted. After my 4th one, I found out you just go back to the Pokemon center. No questionable Japanese pornography occurs. By the way, The picture you have is of the cartoon, you know the one where a lvl 100 pikachu loses every second fight.

These enemies are as threatening as Smaug from the Hobbit. Claiming to be threatening, you know the pg rating prevents you from taking a scratch. See you next round,

Duncan
PatriotPerson

Pro

You disregard the knowledge of professors without providing any proof. You don't even give a source. They don't just use legends. From: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

"Pok"dex entries typically describe a Pok"mon in only two or three sentences. They may give background information on the habitat or activities of a Pok"mon in the wild or other information on the Pok"mon's history or anatomy. Pok"dex entries also include height, weight, cry, footprint, location, other forms, and a picture of the Pok"mon."

That seems pretty accurate to me.

And your judging of the lullaby not being fair is somewhat acceptable, but it is still about pokemon. This debate, is about a pokemon, so is the video.

Giratina does not love you. Giratina is just showing fake affection so it can gain your trust. Then, Giratina, the Devil himself, will possess you, burn down the Johto region, than Sinnoh, than Kalos...

Darkrai still wanted to inflict nightmares at one point. He represents nightmares, while his rival, Cresselia, represents good dreams.

And what was that thing about Magikarp vs. Tentacruel about? Was that just supposed to be some fun joke? And why does it matter if a "level 100" Pikachu loses every second fight? The picture is still direct material from the anime, therefore that picture of Tentacool possessing Meowth is valid.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is rated PG-13, not PG. Boom.
Duncan

Con

Duncan forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Extend my arguments.
Duncan

Con

I am very sorry for the technical issues I suffered, which prevented me from uploading my latest round. I attempted to contact Patriot Person by private message and by comments, even uploading the speech there, but alas, I will just have to re-submit my explanations here and hope that my opponent has the grace to forgive me.

The Pokedex itself makes no sense. How can it identify a pokemon that has never been seen before, pokemon that hide in caves deep underground, like Mewtwo? If I scan a human, it doesn't give me a weight, cry, height etc. for every single human, just that one human in particular. The pokedex's flaws can be seen wherever a professor makes up the entries themselves.

Grimer, the Sludge Pok"mon. It was born when sludge in a dirty stream was exposed to X-rays from the moon.

The moon. The moon is, in fact, the weakest source of radiation in the known universe (http://www.mpe.mpg.de...), making it highly illogical why it didn't just get the x rays from the earth, or how the Pokedex came to know about this. It would make sense if the pokedex was some form of artifact made by arceus, but no, it was formed by a time paradox caused by Ash.

I could go on about unrealistic tempatures given by slugma, or how Alakazam only learns 4 moves, but I have other points.

The reason I cannot accept creepypastas as sources is because they are not canon. I stated at the beginning of the debate that the pokemon games came under the many worlds theory, where even games like Gale of Darkness would be counted, but these are Game Freak approved. If I put up a creepypasta about how all Giratina wanted was a cuddle from a loving trainer, I couldn't use that as evidence. But I checked with Cyndy and Latias, they enjoy hugs too. Dialga enjoys poking people.

Darkrai and Cresselia have a dual relationship, but it is not a rivalry. Even if you claim he once inflicted nightmares willingly, he redeemed his character.

Yes, it was to display how Tentacool isn't the threat you make it out to be, as even low level pokemon can fend them off with ease. I pose that the mind control is no threat, since we're going by animes are ok, Manaphy can just let everyone fly over the water instead, like in the movie, or people can just jump across the water without boats. See video for explanation.

It makes no difference with the pg 13. You know Smaug can't possibly kill any of them, nor can they die from falls. You can't make Lord of the Rings out of the Hobbit, and you can't make creepiness out of such ridiculous arguments.

Duncan.
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
Hey PatriotPerson
you might wanna see this
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
My opponet fails to argue why Pokemon is not creepy, but repeatedly attempts to loophole through the Pokedex (a VERY valid source) and the MOON. Con fails to uphold his side of the resolution and does not argue with his opinions on why it is not creepy, rather he just posts incorrect holes in the sources I mention. Regardless of my proof that the sources were indeed valid, he still continues on to argue what seemed to be the same thing.

Vote PRO
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
Apologies for the unusual method of delivery, but that's what happens when your parents cut the internet mid debate speech.
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan

Yes, it was to display how Tentacool isn't the threat you make it out to be, as even low level pokemon can fend them off with ease. I pose that the mind control is no threat, since we're going by animes are ok, Manaphy can just let everyone fly over the water instead. Or people can just jump across the water without boats.

Duncan.
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
Apologies Patriotperson, I thought that I had submitted my round, however, my dad had decided to unplug the modem for the night, and I was unable to reach y computer due to my study timetable.

Here is the speech. The Pokedex itself makes no sense. How can it identify a pokemon that has never been seen before, pokemon that hide in caves deep underground, like Mewtwo? If I scan a human, it doesn't give me a weight, cry, height etc. for every single human, just that one human in particular. The pokedex's flaws can be seen wherever a professor makes up the entries themselves.

Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
That's weird, it was removed from my comments.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
I had a debate that involved the Pok"mon franchise and I was able to use the """ symbol with no problem. Just copy and paste it from Character Map.

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
I would like to retract my statement regarding the necessity of the ", as it appears to have been removed by the Debate.org website. I shall duly post a minor complaint.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
No, I like pokemon. Its just creepy.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
Hi there.. I didn't know you didn't like Pokemon?? Pokemon is awesome!!