jhon123
chainmachine

Pokemon is racist

chainmachine

jhon123

Pro

Pokemon is racist. The pokemon trainers in the game are based on stereotypes.
This link shows the list of trainers in the sports arenas.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

All of the american football players are black. All of the basketball players are black. It is a well known stereotype that american football players and basketball players are black. there is also a black dancer, which is a stereotype. All of the soccer players are hispanic; I know this becuse of they have hispanic names. Their names are Tony, Roberto, and Marco. It is a sterotype that soccer players are hispanic. Another stereotype shown is that French people are artists. There is an artist named Pierre. Pierre is the French form of Pierre. It is a well known stereotype that French people are artists. there is a black belt named Lao, which is an asian name. It is a stereotype that Asians are good at karate. The scientists in pokemon are asian; it is a stereotype that Asians are smart.
chainmachine

Con

First and foremost, I would like to thank my opponent for making this argument.

Pokemon and Racism:

I. You state multiple stereotypes, well yes all of these are true there is one glaring issue. Stereotyping is not racism, my link should support my argument

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

A international dictionary brand has defined it as such. If Pokemon had in game laws where, for example. Black people could not own Pokemon, but every other race could. That would be racist, now if this were a debate over stereotyping it would be a totally different story.

I feel no need to extend my argument, vote con for truth!
jhon123

Pro

Stereotyping is racism. As an argument to ' Stereotyping is not racism' I found a better definition of racism and stereotyping.

Here is the definition to racism.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

'a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement' ( dictionary.com)

Stereotyping shows the difference between the different races.

Here is the definition of stereotyping.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

'A too-simple and therefore distorted image of a group, such as "Football players are stupid" or "The English are cold and unfriendly people." ( dictionary.com)

'A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group. ' ( dictionary.com)

I know that you are going to say that stereotypes are offensive, so I am going to start a counter argument.
In the definition, 'A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group. ' ( dictionary.com), it says that stereotypes are OFTEN offensive, not always offensive.

Dictionary.com is better than merriam webster. Dictionary.com is more popular. 50 million people visit dictionary.com, while 40 million people visit merriam webster.

Here is the evidence.

http://content.dictionary.com...=(direct)%257cutmccn=(direct)%257cutmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=60890412

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
chainmachine

Con

First off thank you for the quick response, and a informative one at that. Anyways on to my argument:

I. It is not a better definition, it is one that suits your argument. Also dictionary.com being better than Merriam-Webster is an opinion not a fact. This is totally unrelated though, onto the meat of the argument.

II. Now let me dissect your "definition".

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others."

Yes they might show only black people playing basketball and football, that doesn't mean that they are lesser people because of that. Racism is thinking your race is superior, not stereotyping. This definition even helps prove my point, I don't see how this enhances your argument?

III.
Next, you simply get the definition of stereotype and pull that up to prove your point, you still don't explain how pokemon is racist. Just further argue that it stereotype, which is not racism.

IV.
"I know that you are going to say that stereotypes are offensive, so I am going to start a counter argument.
In the definition, 'A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group. ' ( dictionary.com), it says that stereotypes are OFTEN offensive, not always offensive."

I have no idea what you mean by this, care to explain? You just defend your sources for no reason.

V.
Your argument here is that dictionary.com is better simply based upon the fact that more people view it. Despite that another 3x or 4x that read physical dictionaries. Leaving Merriam Webster much more widely read.

Thank you for your response I await the final round. Still I think it stands there is no conclusive evidence pokemon is racist. My next post will be much less about rebuttals. Vote Con!
jhon123

Pro

I.
Dictionary.com is better to use than Merriam Webster because more people have learned their version of certain word's definitions.

II.
It says USUALLY, not always. Jealously could be a cause of racism. For example, the Muslims hate the Jews because they own Israel. The Muslims are jealous that the Jews have Israel.

'belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement,'

This part of the definition means that racist people believe that everyone of a certain race is the same.

III.
I pulled up the definition of stereotype because a small amount of the voters might not know what it means.

IV.

I was predicting what you were going to say in your argument.

V.

Real physical dictionaries are out dated.
chainmachine

Con

first I would like to thank my opponent for this excellent debate, I also assume since my opponent brought evidence right away my job was to simply attack each of his points to prove him wrong.

I. My point about physical dictionaries counters this, so I see no further need in explaining myself.

II. Pokemon does not force certain ethnic groups to have a lower quality of life, it stereotypes. As I have argued the whole entire debate.

III. Oh ok, thank you for clarifying this for them.

IV. Alright then, 3 and 4 haven't be to major have they?

V. Doesn't matter, more people view Merriam Webster definitions via all the mediums. It is irrelevant if printed books are outdated. Which in my opinion they are not.

CONCLUSION:

My opponent has not proved Pokemon is racist but that it stereotypes. Meaning that it is a matter of definition not a plain fact as he put it.
Posted by cshepherd 4 years ago
cshepherd
I would vote for con if I could but I cant
Vote Placed by Luggs 4 years ago
Luggs
jhon123chainmachineTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con refuted Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by kingsjester 4 years ago
kingsjester
jhon123chainmachineTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pokemon stereotypes, but it is not racist, con wins.
Vote Placed by Kinesis 4 years ago
Kinesis
jhon123chainmachineTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate brought out the difficulty in pinning down what we really mean by racism (it gets even more complicated when you realise that race is not a biological term and is largely culturally determined). In the end it's pretty clear that whatever pokemon was doing by stereotyping athletes, it obviously wasn't racist. Obviously it wasn't implying they're lesser people, and it also wasn't because the Japanese are jealous. It rea;;y wasn't anything else either.