J-E-N-X2
DucoNihilum

Police Recieve Holiday Pay for Working September 11th

Con Tied Pro
Started: 10/23/2008 Category: News

J-E-N-X2

Con

In the new, Peabody police have negotiated into their new contracts that they will receive their normal pay plus 25% pay raise for working September 11th. If the officer is off, he will also receive pay.

There are many problems with this situation. First off, New York police do not get the day off as a holiday. They had lost 23 officers that day. Peabody had lost none. "Manny Costa, president of the Peabody police union, said a holiday provision for the 9/11 anniversary would be a proper way to honor and remember the tragic day which have claimed thousands of innocent Americans." No other police force is using the day as a holiday in the US and this would make it a first during a time when our economy is suffering and spending is being cut.(1) How does an increase in a paycheck honor the people that died on September 11th? Wouldn't it be more fitting to use that money in a memorial fund or a scholarship toward a child that lost a parent on that day (MA did lose citizens on the flights).

There is a town that gives Firefighters the day as a holiday. However, they traded it for Columbus day. They still have the same amount of holidays.(2)

"The department already has 12 paid holidays, including Victory over Japan Day (V-J Day), which commemorates the end of World War II; and Evacuation Day, which commemorates when the British left Boston during the Revolutionary War."(3) These are not holidays. These are excuses for more money. I have never gotten a day off for either of these. I was never offered more money to work on these days. These days are not honored in any way except a raise in a day's pay. Yet the police do not want to exchange one of these but add to their days.

September 11th is not a holiday. It is not a day to go and spend with family in a park eating a picnic. It is a day in history to remember and learn from. To give holiday pay is to exploit a day and trivialize the memory of those who were involved in September 11th and the people personally affected by the day.

(1) http://www.allheadlinenews.com...
(2) http://www.salemnews.com...
(3) http://ap.google.com...
DucoNihilum

Pro

I argue in favor of the resolution that police receive holiday pay for working 9/11

To prove this, I will copy a line from my opponents opening argument.

"In the new, Peabody police have negotiated into their new contracts that they will receive their normal pay plus 25% pay raise for working September 11th. If the officer is off, he will also receive pay."

My opponent concedes that "Police Recieve (sic) Holiday Pay for Working September 11th", then goes off an an irrelevant tirade on how he does not support their decision- however, this resolution is fact based- not opinion base (note the lack of "Should" or other similar terms).

So, voters have no choice but to conclude, as of now, that the debate goes to me- supported by my opponent.
J-E-N-X2

Con

Actually I said they negotiated it into their new contract. However, it still had to be approved by the city council. Therefore it was not official and they had not recieved holiday pay for the day yet.

On another point, in general just because something is being done, it doesn't mean that it is always correct. This in particular was on the news and in the papers. Many people were upset by this. It was worth a good debate.

You won nothing. But thanks for that sad attempt at it and ruining the debate.
DucoNihilum

Pro

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
J-E-N-X2

Con

J-E-N-X2 forfeited this round.
DucoNihilum

Pro

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Posted by J-E-N-X2 8 years ago
J-E-N-X2
Hmm... Boy did this debate flatline. Did I miss something? My lack of "should" is an issue? How about they "SHOULD" receive nothing lol. I dunno... I got my degree in history and when I debated in class we knew better than to use imaginary terms such as "should."
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
A good idea, but a way to tedious and boring debate topic for me.
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
Sadolite-

Post a debate on wether or not Rezz has a point.
And then you can debate it there!
:D+[
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
Apparently
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I don't have a point.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
So your point is samantics?
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
You asked for a point JENX made, and I gave you one.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
Rezz, you still muss the point. Everyone and their grandmother has been compensated.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
"average" and "each" are two different words that mean completely different things.

not splitting hairs at all, and "splitting hairs" is not a valid defense, especially coming from YOU.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
Do you understand the words "an average of 2 million" that is 1 million more on average than what I stated. 825,000 lets not split hairs shall we. The point is everyone involved was compensated for their loss. enough is enough.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
J-E-N-X2DucoNihilumTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think the resolution was missing the word "should." Neither side cared enough to continue, FAIL DEBATE.