Police are there to serve and protect

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

First round is for debate only
No forfeits, please.

I gladly accept. I have always paid attention to my now opponent's debates and I feel honored to debate against him

I want to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. It is a privilege to have his/her time and effort in this.

First of all, I'd like to point out that the police get paid to do what they do. That means they need to generate money to justify their salaries. Police are given a certain quota for tickets they give out. This will give them incentive to pull as many cars over as they can, no matter if they deserve it or not. It's not uncommon for a police officer to pull someone over and only then, try to figure out a violation to give a ticket for.
This is unconstitutional and violates both the civilian's rights and the oath the officer took to uphold and protect the Constitution. Instead of "serve and protect". it's "harass and bully".
An officer is supposed to have "reasonable cause" to stop someone.

Road checkpoints also violate a person's rights.

Too often then not, police try to stop themselves from being filmed or videotaped by civilians. This again, violates the rights of civilians the police are hired to serve and protect. People are told to stop filming, to stand far away from the police activity they are filming and some even have their cameras taken away "as evidence". One's property can not be taken away legally without due process.

The police have the attitude that they deserve respect, which to most of them, means you can't talk back or question their authority. Police are supposed to be public servants, yet get annoyed or angry if you try to exercise your rights. The police often retaliate with threats of arrest, and other unwarranted threats. Again, this is bully tactics and harassment, not serving and protecting. I can cut and paste hundreds of youtube videos of police doing this, but a simple search on youtube will let you see them all without a problem.

Sure, it may try to be argued that there are a few "bad apples" that make the rest look bad. The problem is the police don't police themselves. They stick together and even lie in court for each other rather than admit they were wrong.

The police have many tricks and tactics to violate a person's rights. They outright lie to get you to confess. They have many vague laws they can accuse anyone of, including "disorderly conduct" that can mean anything. Lately they even yell out "stop resisting" when making an arrest on camera, even though the person being arrested is clearly not resisting at all. These tricks and tactics again do nothing to serve and protect.

Another thing I'd like to point out is high speed car chases that put innocent civilians into harm's way of injury or death. Most of these car chases are not necessary, since they have helicopters and other means to track a suspected criminal. They can set up road blocks or use other methods besides a high speed chase that is much safer to the public.
Car chases are not serving and protecting, they are actually risking human life....and are still very routine.

I can go on and on and provide thousands of newspaper articles that prove what I'm saying. The unwarranted use of firearms is another issue . From Kent State to modern times where unarmed civilians are gunned down in cold blood by police.

There are also two reported incidences where police arrested fire fighters at the scene of an emergency, because they didn't feel like they got the respect they deserve. Arresting the people who are there to help in an emergency is not serving or protecting.

Now, has it ever happened that a police officer "served" by helping an old lady across the street or catching an actually thief? Maybe. But that's not the primary reason they got hired. They are there to generate money with tickets and false arrests that cost money in court.

My opponent has made good points.
The police force in the United States is known for being in charge of enforcing our laws and keeping criminals off the streets and prevent them from breaking the law. Let's be realistic: the police force has a corrupt side of it. And it also does have an agenda for giving a certain number of tickets and making what are unconstitutional drinking and driving checkpoints. I will even argue in my opponent's favor for a moment and say that certain police officers like the high and mighty feeling that they get and abuse that power. You may see this as me just finding a loop hole in the debate title, but the police were originally designed to protect and serve the community it is in. Maybe there is more to it now, and it's used for money reasons these days, but they are still for protecting and serving it's community. Yes, they do a lot more, but the bottom line is, they do what they were designated to do.

My opponent has pretty much agreed with all my points. His only counterpoint was "The police were originally designed to protect and serve the community it is in".

Unfortunately that is no longer the case.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The police are no different.

Thanks for the debate.

I claimed that the police do their job to protect and serve. Nowhere was it established that protecting and serving is there sole purpose. They do unconstitutionally make money, but they still do their job of protecting and serving. Do they do more than that? Well that's not what this debate was about.
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Hey, look. I have been wanting to debate against you for a long time. We usually agreed on topics, but this time I accept if you allow me to be your opponent
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
Um, civilians.
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 2 years ago
serve who and protect what?