Wylted
Arter

Police in Baltimore should not wear riot gear.

Wylted

Wylted

Pro

The rounds are 3 hours long and have a 2,000 character limit. So before accepting, keep that in mind. I'm willing to negotiate down to 60 minutes if the timing of acceptance is right.

Full Resolution: The police in Baltimore should not wear riot gear, unless there is a high likelihood of a riot actually breaking out in the particular area they occupy.

We will not be defining high likelihood at all. Just use common sense to determine what that means. So no semantics and let's just debate whether police should wear riot gear as often as they do or not.

First round is for acceptance.
Arter

Con

I will accept this debate, but I have a question before we start. In the acceptance round you say quote " So no semantics and let's just debate whether police should wear riot gear as often as they do or not." I am not sure as to whether we are debating about the current riots in Baltimore or regular police duties that happens in Baltimore or just common police duties around the World. I don't want to come off as rude I just want to know what I am debating about. If I could get an answer before you start your Round 2 arguments that would be great.
Wylted

Pro

Riot gear seems to effect crowd violence according to recent study by the UC Berkeley. When cops wear riot gear it signals to the crowd, that the police are ready for a fight. This comes from numerous observations on the Occupy movement and then watching these theories play out with the violence in Ferguson, while protests in LA were mild and also used less police in riot gear.

Another problem is that riot gear comes with police lines and restricting the movement of protestors, which have been linked to increased aggression in groups.

http://m.sfgate.com...

What we're seeing is a lot of the actions of Law Enforcement actually causing these riots to occur in what would've otherwise been peaceful protests. I don't disputes that a police presence is necessary in these events, but showing up in riot gear is just going to lead to more riots, which actually causes more total people and property to be damaged.

Now my opponent might point out that the risks to police are increased when they wear less riot gear, but when you see the decreased violence towards civilians and their property, you can see it's a fair trade off, especially when you consider how many women and children are spared from violence as a result of this.

Police accept this job knowing they will face more risks than the general population, so this minimal risk is fair, and from a utilitarian point of view an incredibly good trade off.
Arter

Con

Arter forfeited this round.
Arter

Con

comments show why I "pass"
Wylted

Pro

My opponent made a mistake accepting a debate he didn't have time for. I feel bad for him, but it's his mistake not mine. I wish him luck in his future debates, and hopefully he'll be more careful about the debates he accepts in the future.
Arter

Con

Arter forfeited this round.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I wanted a quick debate, that I didn't need to put much effort in.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
But I don't understand how giving you more time to think about it would ruin your schedule. With 72 hours you have three days. Three days to think about it. So if you have something going on one day then you have two more days to think about it and get a response in. I just think you don't want to debate this with me.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
and thank you dearly for talking about the concerns on the debate I feel honored..
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
OK . If any time frees up for you and you are still interested then I'd be happy to debate this topic with you.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Maybe we can debate a different topic in the future. Right now I really only have time for mini debates. Good luck with your next debate.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
Could we both just say "forfeit this debate" for round 4 then just make another one so this doesn't count as a defeat. I don't want to forfeit I just don't have the time.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
But I need it for 72 hour respond periods.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
If you are up for it I would like to debate you on this topic though.
Posted by Arter 2 years ago
Arter
I know just for next time. Because I can't do this I'm on but all I have time for is this comment. It's how the schedule works I shouldn't have accepted it looks like you have a win because I don't have time to make a whole response.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I can't extend time once the debate starts.
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
WyltedArterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice debate!
Vote Placed by XLAV 2 years ago
XLAV
WyltedArterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con FF. Pro at least gave some arguments.