panthercub21
zakkuchan

Police profiling

Con Tied Pro

panthercub21

Con

How can you be for police profiling? What if they were to start profiling white teenage males? You could end up with a life sentence for a crime that you didn't commit simply because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Think about all of the racial prejudices there are - we are living in the "enlightened" 21st century! Aren't we supposed to be able to figure out who committed crimes without regressing to the Dark Ages of "let's hang him because it's convient"? This society, which is increasingly based on globalization, cannot function with a police force that runs on a profiling basis.
zakkuchan

Pro

Since this topic isn't really all that complex, and since you have set the precedent of making a less extensive case for your side, I will follow suit. You say that if profiling were used for crimes committed by white teenage males, I "could end up with a life sentence for a crime that [I] didn't commit simply because [I was] in the wrong place at the wrong time". This is a flawed argument for two reasons: First, because profiling IS used against white male teenagers, just as much as it is against anyone else, and my criminal record is just as clean as it was the day I was born. Second, because profiling doesn't bring about convictions on its own. What we're talking about here is not, "You're black, so you must be guilty because the witnesses agree it was a black person who did it", but rather, "You're black, so we'd rather spend our time looking into our suspicions of you than this white guy over here, because our witnesses agree it was a black man who did it." This is not the terrible, evil practice you try to make it out to be. It makes simple, logical sense; and without it, police would lack one of the most effective tools they have for narrowing down the field of suspects.
panthercub21

Con

OK, so since my argument is apperantly being simplistic, feel free to widen the field at any time. Also, if what you are talking about is the application of logic used to narrow down the suspect fields (ie "You're black, so we'd rather spend our time looking into our suspicions of you than this white guy over here, because our witnesses agree it was a black man who did it."), then why is this an issue to be debated at all? I believe that we are talking about more than a basic use of logic. I believe that this is about applying sterotypes - "this seems like the kind of thing a black person would do, so we are going to work off the assumption that a black person is responsible." We aren't talking about the type of situation where a reliable eyewitness is available.
As a side note, have you noticed how easy it is to change/disguise skin color?
Just because you have not been convicted of a crime, it does not mean that anyone else has not wrongly been convicted based on skin color. I hate to say it, but being white gives a certain degree of protection in America. Try being a different color and see how you are looked at and what assumptions are made about you, your background, and your intellect.Or speaking a different language out in public and see the looks you get.It's not pretty.

By the way, are you going to address what I said about globalization?
zakkuchan

Pro

If you want to debate what you consider "police profiling" to be, feel free to start an open debate about it, and I'm sure someone - but not me - will take up the debate. But you singled me out for this debate, because you saw in my profile that I marked that I was for police profiling. Since it is essentially my stance that is being debated here, we must stick to what I meant by my stance. And what I meant is the sort of thing I talked about in my first round. You are responsible for proving that that stance is wrong, and everything else is irrelevant to the topic of debate.

This is exactly why I usually decline debates when I am singled out for them based on what I mark on my profile. The stances I have marked there are all way more complex than what can be shown on my profile, and when people assume they know what I mean, things like this are bound to happen if I go along with it.
panthercub21

Con

panthercub21 forfeited this round.
zakkuchan

Pro

zakkuchan forfeited this round.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
The records are pretty much useless, as I have proven here

http://www.debate.org...

You can win with terrible arguments, and lose with airtight ones. Three fourths of your argument is simply
A) what the title is
B) pro or con

I have a 30% rating because I post provocative debates that anger people, but I love arguing so much that I wouldn't have it any other way!
Posted by zakkuchan 8 years ago
zakkuchan
I don't really care THAT much about my record. It's just cool to see it as high as it is. :P If it starts dropping like a rock, though, it's not like it's going to discourage me from debating or anything.
Posted by panthercub21 8 years ago
panthercub21
OK, thanks at least taking on the challenge. I'm just going to forfit the last round... Maybe we will meet again in an open debate :)

Wingnut, I thought that the whole point of this site was to take unpopular stances, so that you could be argued with about them! I do see your point with the voting records, though. I think that it's a good idea to be able to vote on who won the argument, AND which stance is "correct". Lucky for me, I don't care about my record.... I'm just getting started on this site and it's all about debating people who actually have brains and can debate intelligently.
Posted by wingnut2280 8 years ago
wingnut2280
That assumes your record matters. This site has proven time and again that records and voting aren't reflective. People like Tatarize have 90% win records while people like clsmooth have like 30%. Try pissing off the wrong people or taking an unfavorable stand somewhere and just watch your win % plummet.
Posted by zakkuchan 8 years ago
zakkuchan
Absolutely. See, this is why this website needs a "cancel debate" button. :P If both people agree to scrap the debate, they should be able to scrap it so it doesn't pointlessly go to voting.
Posted by panthercub21 8 years ago
panthercub21
My bad. The only information I have about you is from your profile. I had no way of knowing that was how you felt before starting this debate. Soooo.... since there is no way to debate the use of logic as a reasonable tool for how to narrow down a suspect list, I vote that we chalk this debate up as a mistake. Truce?
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by panthercub21 8 years ago
panthercub21
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by Undeniable-Love 8 years ago
Undeniable-Love
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 8 years ago
bigbass3000
panthercub21zakkuchanTied
Vote Placed by proof317 8 years ago
proof317
panthercub21zakkuchanTied