libertyforall
Nichon

Police should be treated just like everyone else in the eyes of the law.

libertyforall

Pro

I see the same bull**** all the time. A police officer committed a crime but was not charged or fired. Why are police, the people who are supposed to be the "good guys" always let off the hook instead of held accountable. If anything, police should be held to higher standards because they are the ones who are supposed to enforce the law. I recently read about a police who stole marijuana from the evidence room at his station and he used it to make weed brownies. He got so mesed up he thought he was dying and called 911 because he thought he and his wife had overdosed (hahaha, I know). No charges were filled and the man was allowed to just resign instead of being fired. I also just recently read about a police officer from NY who was stopped for like the eight time for driving under the influence. He was let off the hook again for the eighth time and is still employed. I lost my liscense for 30 days for simply having alcohol in my car. It wasn't open and no one was drinking. We need to start making sure that police officers are held accounable for thier actions . If any normal citizens did any of the things that the latter officers I mention did, they would be locked away and the key would be swallowed.
Nichon

Con

My opponent states that officers of the law should be held to the same standard of judicial review that all citizens are subjected to.
In part I would agree but my opponent uses slanted biased arguments to make a point that some officers have not been made culpable for their actions.

Law enforcement is one of the key areas in public service were ethics and morality are constantly judged and weighed.

In many private professions a persons non felony record is not the concern of public or private employers.

Officers of the law should be scrutinized to assure the community that they are themselves upholding the law of the land. But they should be treated fairly,
None of the offense incorrectly dictated and of dubious origin are offenses that warrant life imprisonment as the author leaves to innuendo in his last statement.

Furthermore both cases sited by my opponent entail felony convictions for there actions. I challenge my opponent to site and reference these infractions and any disciplinary results thereof.

If anything law enforcement is held to a higher standard than an average citizen.
libertyforall

Pro

I can no longer find the link to the article I read where the officer was arrested for the eigth time for D.U.I. it was on yahoo.com under my local news section. http://youtube.com... that is a link where you can watch what I am talking about where the police officer made marijuana brownies and called 911.

Nichon, I don't really understand why you decided to debate me on this because from what you wrote, it would seem that you agree officers should be treated the same as everyone else when it comes to the law. Instead of arguing against me, you seem to just point out my exaggeration on punishment (the punishment for marjuana crimes are rediculously harsh) which I am sure everyone who reads my opening statement will know was just a figure of speech.

This isn't even a debate at this point.
Nichon

Con

Nichon forfeited this round.
Posted by libertyforall 9 years ago
libertyforall
Uh... Nowhere did I say anything bad about police here. I am arguing that the system treats them way to easily and treat normal citizens much harsher.
Posted by EricW1001 9 years ago
EricW1001
just because you hear of a few high profile cases where they get away things, do not think that is the norm

i suppose that because you have such disdain for them, you won't call them when you need help yourself right?
Posted by rocker935 9 years ago
rocker935
Just so you know libertyforall, I'm no your side :). I get so frustrated by cops and what they get away with/
Vote Placed by poopfred 9 years ago
poopfred
libertyforallNichonTied
Vote Placed by libertyforall 9 years ago
libertyforall
libertyforallNichonTied
Vote Placed by iq_two 9 years ago
iq_two
libertyforallNichonTied
Vote Placed by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
libertyforallNichonTied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
libertyforallNichonTied