Daktoria
somedude224

Political Pragmatism Is Insane

Daktoria

Daktoria

Con

The argument here is pragmatism is an insane method of proscribing policy because it denies the autonomy of judgment. Instead, it expects people to conform to an authority they don't consent to authorize. People aren't explained "why" in advance of conformity. They are simply expected to conform.

The argument pragmatists usually refer to is the cost-benefit ratio of attention span. People don't have the time, energy, and attention available to explain everything, and everyone can't explain themselves to everyone else. Those who demand everything be explained instead are treated as insane for having excessive expectations.

This position of "excessive expectations" is precisely why pragmatists are insane in the first place. Pragmatists do not recognize how the definition of "excessive" is subjective. They simply project their standards of "excess" upon others who don't consent.

In turn, pragmatists say nobody consents, but everyone has to compromise. Those who refuse to compromise are again insane in having excessive expectations...

...but again, excessive expectations are subjective. Pragmatism ultimately resolves to a circular argument.
somedude224

Pro

You are stupid. I win. Vote for me.
Daktoria

Con

My opponent has basically summarized, yes, why political pragmatism is insane. It brutally asserts others expectations as stupid... or as I put it, "excessive".

To be clear and fair, here are two philosophical encyclopedias that reiterate the necessity of recognizing autonomous practical reason according to Immanuel Kant:

http://www.rep.routledge.com..., http://www.rep.routledge.com...

http://plato.stanford.edu...

Political pragmatism denies this autonomy by asserting collective practical interests without consent. The asserting are literally insane because they extract their sense of self from the self of others. Instead, they should be contributing their own sense of self to the satisfaction of others in advance of association.
somedude224

Pro

Who cares
Daktoria

Con

Again, my opponent emulates my point. "Who" cares. Pragmatism denies the individuality of "who" by compelling some to conform to the authority of others in defining what's practical. What's practical to someone isn't automatically practical to everyone.
somedude224

Pro

First of all, you are trying way too hard. I was messing around.

Secondly, pragmatism is defined as practical approach to problems and affairs. So you are saying that politics being practical is insane? I apologize but even though I researched this for a quite long amount of time, I could not find any other definition for pragmatism nor political pragmatism that would fit under the term insane. In that sense, it would not be insane as it does not exist to my knowledge.

It is also based on problem or theory. What is wrong with this, or how is it insane? I really do not understand the logic you have presented.

There is my first serious argument. I hope the voters base it on fairness and logic and not on their opinion.
Posted by toolpot462 4 years ago
toolpot462
That's insane.
Posted by Daktoria 4 years ago
Daktoria
I think I clarified things in my first round post in case there's any confusion. Insane is a negative statement, so I chose Con.
Posted by Flip 4 years ago
Flip
But by choosing Con you are saying that you disagree with "political pragmatism is insane." Choosing Pro meas that you affirm its insanity.
Posted by Daktoria 4 years ago
Daktoria
Yes, I oppose pragmatism. Pro has to prove pragmatism's sanity.
Posted by Flip 4 years ago
Flip
You chose Con...
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
Daktoriasomedude224Tied
Reasons for voting decision: bad behavior from PRO, forfeiting at least 2 rounds using insults.
Vote Placed by somenerd224 4 years ago
somenerd224
Daktoriasomedude224Tied
Reasons for voting decision: l