cduffy05
BrendanD19

Political correctness is an issue in the U.S.

BrendanD19

cduffy05

Pro

Political correctness is becoming increasingly ridiculous. Although the original idea of political correctness is good, I believe its effect has been harmful. I once heard a story from a friend about an experience she had at Starbucks. Laura had accidentally picked up the wrong coffee (before drinking it, of course), and almost immediately came back in the store to give it to its rightful owner. Laura explained to the barista that she had grabbed the wrong coffee and thought that it belonged to the man in front of her, saying, "I'm sorry, I picked up the wrong coffee. I think it belongs to the black man over there who was in front of me." After saying this, a lady who was standing near her began berating her because she "unnecessarily" brought up race. I fully disagree with this. Skin color should never be used against someone because it is not a bad thing at all, but it still exists. It is part of who we are. Laura was simply using it as a descriptor so the barista would know who she was talking about.
Political correctness is so much more than simply race, but this story has stuck out to me and gives a general understanding of my issue with it. I also think that political correctness has made it so we as a society choose to avoid talking about race, religion, gender, etc. as a whole. The article I've listed below clearly presents my point of view.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
BrendanD19

Con

While at times it does seem that we are oversensitive in society today, there is no such thing as "political correctness."
The term is nothing more than a pejorative, typically used by conservatives against liberals and leftists. So called "opponents" of political correctness are traditionally people who go on to say racist or xenophobic things, under the guise of opposing political correctness and multiculturalism. They claim they are the victims of the "PC Police", allowing them to justify their false victim mentality.
To define what is correct in this world, we use several types of determinants. We use ethics and morals to justify what is right and wrong, we use the sciences to determine what is factual, but there is no special form of "political correctness."
The example cited about the Starbucks incident only further proves my point. While the woman's reaction was extreme to a minor offense, this is simply oversensitivity. The mention of race in that instance was not actually necessary. The friend could have simply told the barista that the coffee belonged to the man in the blue shirt.
cduffy05

Pro

I'm not quite sure how to respond rather than I think we agree more than disagree on our oversensitivity epidemic, but I'm curious as to why you would describe political correctness as non-existent. Recently in Bavaria (although not in the U.S.), a refugee host school sent out a letter forbidding girls to wear revealing clothing due to the influx of Muslim refugees under the notion of "discrepancy." I see this kind of move as a hindrance rather than helpful. This is the kind of political correctness I am talking about. Or, many colleges forbidding the use of the term "freshmen," and instead using the term "first-year."
BrendanD19

Con

To begin the first example cited by the Pro was not an American example. The debate is over the idea that PC is an issue in the US, therefore this example should be disregarded. Furthermore, that is an example of a high school trying to make things more comfortable for some refugees in an academic environment. If the intention is for the refugees and others to receive high quality education, then an environment must be created in which everyone is able to learn comfortably.
The example of colleges changing from "Freshmen" to first year is because the term Freshman is not an accurate term, and thus colleges have adopted a more accurate term. As more and more nontraditional students enroll in college, the word "freshman" does not adequately describe new students on campus. "First year" is a much more encompassing and flexible term. "Freshman" refers to the traditional, fresh-out-of-high-school student. While the word does not necessarily have a bad connotation, it is not truly representative of the population, which is a variety of students, including nontraditional, international, transfer, and traditional students beginning their first year on the college campus.
While it could be said that the term is more correct, there is no political notion to this at all.
cduffy05

Pro

cduffy05 forfeited this round.
BrendanD19

Con

By failing to respond to any arguments, cduffy05 has conceded my case that political correctness does not exist, and is therefore not an issue in the US. Vote Con.
Posted by BrendanD19 1 year ago
BrendanD19
@BlackFlags It isn't even a real thing, it is just a made up pejorative
Posted by BlackFlags 1 year ago
BlackFlags
Being politically correct is just liberals shoving their moral fiber down our throat so we think they are a good lil social justice crusader
Vote Placed by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
UtherPenguin
cduffy05BrendanD19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In the first round, Pro used the anectodal fallacy for his argument, a personal experience does not sufficently fulfill the burden of proof As it is hard to tell whether the experience was just the result of an isolated incident. Especially since said experience was conveyed as a result of hearsay. As a result, arguments to Con. Neither side cited sources, so neither side has a point for sources. Pro's forfeit in the last round puts the conduct vote to Con. Both sides had sufficent grammar and spelling.
Vote Placed by Sarai.K82 1 year ago
Sarai.K82
cduffy05BrendanD19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought both sides had decent arguments. I give the edge to Pro especially in light of Con failing to timely respond to Round 3. I didn't find the Huffington Post particularly reliable, but Con didn't put out any alternative sources.