Lookingatissues
JustinPatrickShurie

Polls are not the final word nor prove anything

JustinPatrickShurie has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Lookingatissues

Pro

"Polls are not the final word nor prove anything...' except that some political hacks want to do the opposition without getting their hands dirty while doing it.
If we want to judge the reliability of polls, for instance, heres a good example,
Showing results for polls before the 2016 election predicted hillary clinton the winner.
/search?q=Election 2016&p1=%5BFUI+els%3D%22Candidates%22+ansmode%3D%22collapsed%22%5D&npa=1&FORM=ELHEAD
Explore the election

President
National poll results
Averages for Sun Sep 11 2016
Hillary Clinton (D)43%(+4.00)
Donald Trump (R)39%
Gary Johnson (L)8%
Poor old Donald Trump didn't have a chance of becoming elected president and this poll proved it.
" There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." (attributed to Disraeli )'Then there are pole cats.
Then Mark twain
once said ,"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself..."
I think Donald Trump has proven the polls are wrong this time but he will have time to think about it from the oval office.
JustinPatrickShurie

Con

I do belive that a poll proves something, but may not be the final word, however, I am con as I dissagree with one of the statements. I belive a poll can contain valid statistics, and as for the Trump/Clinton poll, that may have been valid at the time, and proves what the sample group thought would win. However, as all American elections show, different areas of the country have different political views, and while polls can be given to a bias sample group, stating that polls prove nothing is not very rational.
Lookingatissues

Pro

"....However, as all American elections show, different areas of the country have different political views, and ( while polls can be given to a bias sample group,...." The fact, which you acknowledged in your rebuttal, that polls can be taken by the pollster only in a particular area known by the pollster to be bias in favor of a certain political position only validy is to confirm the position the pollster wishes to confirm. Without a poll taken in another area and then comparing the two polls to reflect the overall views on a political question isn't a valid poll.