Polygamy should be illegal and same-sex marriage should be legal.

The first round will be for acceptance and acknowledgement of your position. I declare that I strongly oppose polygamy and strongly support same-sex marriage. I look forward to debating this topic with anyone who does not believe so.

In this debate, I wish to see the following rules implemented:
1. Incorrect grammar and spelling is not to be tolerated. Minor issues are okay from time to time, but I want consistent, proper writing.
2. Both you and I will treat each other fairly.

Here is the structure of the debate:
Round 1: Acceptance and acknowledgement
Round 2: Main arguments
Round 3: Supporting details
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Further rebuttal

I accept your debate :)

I will restate my opinion: Polygamy should be illegal and same-sex marriage should be legal.

Here is my argument:

Polygamy is the practice of a man marrying multiple wives or a woman marrying multiple men. I will now inform you why I am opposed to this practice: Polygamy shows a man's or woman's desire for sex and greed for pleasure. Love is meant to be between two individuals, not multiple ones. Love is a matter between two, not five or ten or fifteen. I am not a Christian, but I share a common belief with most theists: Polygamy is wrong.
A man marrying multiple wives was normal a great many centuries ago. However, in this modern age, one of logic and justice, polygamy is not to be tolerated. Polygamy is not only a moral issue, but it is also a health issue. Having multiple wives promotes the spreading of STDs. Polygamy encourages an increase in sexual acts, such as sexual assault, prostitution, pornography, etc.

Same-sex marriage

I understand that homosexual relationships, interactions, and marriages are an issue that most Christians are opposed to. However, there is no logical reason why same-sex couples shouldn't have the right to marry each other. I am aware that the Bible doesn't speak positively of same-sex marriage, but that is no excuse to deny individuals their fundamental right to love whoever they wish and to interact with the person they love.
Same-sex marriage also encourages a change in overpopulation. If every human were heterosexual and had a child, that would automatically create billions of children. But, with homosexual people included, there are less children produced. Before you make a child, why not adopt a child in need? Why not adopt a child who is suffering? Many theists argue that homosexuals cannot care for a child. That is completely untrue. There is no difference between the parenting capabilities of a heterosexual couple and a homosexual couple.

The Truth

You are better than this. We are better than this. Humanity needs to cease listening to a voice that isn't real. Humanity must start listening to fact and logic. Just because "God" says so or just because a two thousand year-old book states it, does that automatically make it all true? I am a proud Atheist. I am independent of lies and I will not listen to tales of God and Jesus. I will only believe FACTS, which Christians and all other theists surely lack.

Here is what I got to say:
Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states but it is legal in parts of the Western Hemisphere. Is that what you mean?, Because I'll go with that.

I believe Homosexuality should be illegal in the United States. I know that polygamy is not love but more of sex but the family isn't gay so there not breaking any rules of the lord. You also said that gay couples are good for there adoption for children, a straight couple can not have sex and just adopt a child as much a gay couple. Homosexuals can care for childed but the kid will end up gay too. Yes you probably heard about that homosexuality is a sin in the Bible but do you now what that actually means?

Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"

1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."
Another thing about Gay couples and Polygamy relationships are virus like AID/HIV. The thing is when a Homosexual couple is in intercourse there bodies aren't set up to mate with a male so AIDS will for. I don't mean like if you kiss a guy, I mean you bang each other. With the opposite sex you got to be were of natuarl virus like STD (witch we use condoms to protect ourselves)

The Bible is a book written by the follower of Jesus to tell us who he wants us to live and how we can get into Heaven, I am a proud Christian and I am glad I'm one too. I don't understand why theirs so much debate over Homosexuality. He told us not to swear or kill, We don't (or shouldn't do either). Homosexuality and the Bible is kinda like that.

A fellow user and commentator, Taylur, has written the following:

"I am pro same-sex marriage, so I feel it wrong for me to be against polygamy. What if three people loved each other equally -- shouldn't they be able to marry each other? People in favour of same-sex marriage claim that love is love, but I have met some people that love more than one person and are in open relationships.

I'm undecided. The only issue I have is that, in the case of a subsequent divorce, the legal stuff could be really complicated."

These are words of wisdom, my friend. I am going to modify my argument for polygamy:

I am opposed to most of polygamy due to the lust and desire for sex. However, when three or four people love each other equally, they should have the right to marry. Multi-people relationships are acceptable, but polygamy in the extreme cases - six or more people - is outrageous.

Now that I have rephrased my argument, I am going to make some additional points:

God and the Bible

The Bible is a book based on:
1. Hallucinations of peasants
2. Lies and propaganda spread by theists
3. Desire for power

The Bible does not prove anything. And there is no proof that the Bible was written by intelligent individuals. Until you can present evidence that supports the Bible, I must say, your points are invalid.
Also, there is no evidence of a God of any form. Therefore, without any evidence of God, you must assume there is no God until you have solid evidence and proof.

Moral issues

Excluding God and the Bible, don't you think we have a moral obligation to enable individuals to marry anyone they wish? If you will not endow people this fundamental right, you are a moral failure.

Based on your lack of proof and my ability to present a case based on facts, we must conclude this debate in acknowledgement of that same-sex marriage should be legal. Unless you have additional arguments supporting your claim, this debate is over.

Before I start I want to start talking about God and the Bible. As I said its a book of teachings that god told us how he wants us to live our lives not a fairy tale. Another thing about the Bible is when on Easter Jesus was resurrected into Heaven and his body wasn't in the tomb. Some things science can't say and you just gotta believe in your faith.
My best source: Bible
I don't want to go to into the the god hates gays thing because like everybody on DDO know that. I want you to know that religion isn't a fairy tale, its brings us together and tells us how to live our lives through kindness and peace.
Here's what the Bible

Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 are also debated among denominations and scholars.

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)

While many Christian denominations and scholars believe these scriptures clearly condemn homosexuality, others believe that the Greek terms used were meant to describe the homosexual behavior present at Pagan temples.
Prostitution or Homosexuality?

Romans 1 discusses how the people gave into their lust. Yet the meaning of the acts described are debated. Some see the passages as describing prostitution while others see it as a clear condemnation on homosexual behavior.

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." (NIV)

See how the Bible doesn't mention "marriage" but talks that to guys having sex is abomination. I'm pretty sure that most people will be married before they sex

With Polygamy, It is wrong with 15 individuals but with three it is fine, same-sex is under one person but infections like AIDS can form more easily. With a man and a women having sex (even with more than 2 people) the only worry is STD but we were condoms to protect ourselves from. Science Has also proven that AIDS/HIV is found when the same-sex have intercourse.

I respect your faith and I truly believe in freedom of religion. I will not be able of changing your opinion, but the true reason for a debate is not convincing your opponent. It is about convincing the audience. Therefore, I will continue presenting my case:

The Bible is an unreliable source of information.
The Bible, as I have stated before, is a book based on the hallucinations of peasants, lies and propaganda spread by theists, and distortions of fact. The Bible does have some truth in it, however. I acknowledge that Jesus and Moses existed, and maybe Noah did too, but these characters didn't necessarily do what the Bible claims they did. If you want to convince the audience and I that the Bible is in fact reliable, tell me the name of who wrote it. Tell me where it was written. Tell me when it was written. Tell me FACTS. That is all I ask.
Without facts, your argument is not valid. Therefore, you must come up with something different.

bettabreeder forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeits. I shall give him an opportunity to continue his argument in the next round.

I'm sorry for forfeiting, I got kinda busy

To be accurate the Bible is a collecting of stories that was not written by a single person but Jesus followers were some of the writers and Moses was too. The Bible was said to be written 3500 years ago. The stories of the Bible haven't changed. It might seem like it changed but in the Dark Age, monks copied out of the Bible to make a new one. The Bible is still being spread, By Christian people.
Posted by WilliamsP 6 months ago
I have since changed my view on polygamy and fully support it now.
Posted by Juris_Naturalis 2 years ago
To answer pro, the fact that the bible exists is proof that it was written by intelligent individuals. It's been around for over 1000 years. And it was written, so whoever wrote it had to have a basic education.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
I wish I could vote for Pro.
Posted by Conservative101 2 years ago
Pro's argument is a bit biased, while Con's is a little religious. Keep in mind Con that Pro doesn't believe in the Bible, so bringing it up won't give you the upper hand. Add some other arguments to the mix. As for Pro, it will help if you are more respectful to Con's beliefs. Instead of saying the Bible is based on "hallucinations", "lies", and "propaganda", state that you acknowledge Con's religious position but don't believe in the same book she does. If you are a proud atheist, you will respect theists' beliefs instead of shoving yours down their throats. The same goes for Con.

By the way Pro, there is proof of the Bible. The evidence is really hard to argue with. --->

Good luck to both of you :)
Posted by Taylur 2 years ago
This is an interesting debate...

I am pro same-sex marriage, so I feel it wrong for me to be against polygamy. What if three people loved each other equally -- shouldn't they be able to marry each other? People in favour of same-sex marriage claim that love is love, but I have met some people that love more than one person and are in open relationships.

I'm undecided. The only issue I have is that, in the case of a subsequent divorce, the legal stuff could be really complicated.
Vote Placed by jamccartney 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: They are tied for conduct. Pro used better spelling and grammar because Con said "Here is what I got to say". Pro, in my opinion, just made better arguments. They are tied for sources.