catastrophy
Lee001

Polygamy should be legalized in Canada

Lee001

catastrophy

Pro

I will be arguing that polygamy should be legalized in Canada because I don't think it is fair that we do not recognize polygamy but legalize other forms of marriage laws such as same-sex. I do not believe it is up to our government to decide what our citizens should practice in terms of marriage or what they shouldn't. If we believe in rights and free will, who is the government to say polygamy should be banned?
Lee001

Con

Thank you Pro for starting this debate. Since this debate only has 3 rounds, I will just state my argument here and we can rebut in later rounds.

First off, lets define terms:

[1] Polygamy; the practice or custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time.

[2] Legalized- make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law.

First off, if we defined marriage we would see that marriage should be between only 2 people.
[3] Marriage- the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship.

As you can see, Polygamy isn't classified as a marriage. Polygamy usually involves 1 man, 3 wives. Or 1 wife and 3 husbands.

This first argument I'm going to make is the negative impacts that Polygamy has on wife's involved. Scientist have found that [4] "Women in polygamous marriages often suffer from negative emotions, a new study has found." A survey conducted found that [4] "Her survey of 100 Arab women found that many of them experienced feelings of neglect and jealousy" How could we consider this a healthy marriage when 1 wife, or multiple wife's are feeling neglected and feel jealous over the other wife's?

Polygamy doesn't just effect the women negatively, but can effect the *whole* family. [5]an additional problem is that this defence of polygamyreduces marriage to only a sexual relationship. On the contrary, the institution of marriageencompasses far more than sexual relations, but extends to a host of other functions, such asproperty rights, family alliances, and the raising of children. Not only is it a mistake to view polygamy and extramarital affairs as the same, but it is also a mistake to view marriage interms of sexual relations alone.

So here, we can see when you are involved in a Polygamy relationship, many more problems are to follow. A man usually wants to have more than 1 wife for sexual purposes, thus lacking romantic, or actually feeling you are in a matured relationship. Many more problems are to follow. Who is going to take care of the children? What if one wife wants a divorce, who will get money? The kids will then be separated from their moms. the kids may or may not live with the dad, and if they do end up living with the dad, they will be raised by multiple other mothers.

[6] According to some studies there are well over 80,000 people in the US alone living in polygamy. They, no surprise, have the highest birth rates. Many argue that the living arrangement of having 10 to 60 wives is grounds for charges of child abuse, human trafficking, physical and psychological abuse of women and children, enslavement, oppression of individual wealth and medical neglect.

Why would we want to legalize Polygamy knowing the negative effects that follow this? Polygamy only makes these effects much easier to occur. They are bound to happen.

I'll stop here and see what my opponent has to say. Good luck! :)

[1] https://www.google.com...
[2] https://www.google.com...
[3] https://www.google.com...
[4] http://www.thenational.ae...
[5] http://www.academia.edu...
[6] http://scribol.com...
catastrophy

Pro

catastrophy forfeited this round.
catastrophy

Pro

catastrophy forfeited this round.
Posted by IsabellaS 1 year ago
IsabellaS
I understand both the pro and con side, but you used a weak argument for one of your points:

"First off, if we defined marriage we would see that marriage should be between only 2 people.
[3] Marriage- the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship."

Whether or not this is an accurate definition for marriage, this definition has only recently changed to include two people of the same sex. It has traditionally been between a man and a woman, and only in the twenty-first century (and late twentieth) was it adjusted. Therefore, because the definition of marriage is subject to change, Pro does have a valid point: if we can change the definition of marriage to accommodate gay marriage, it can be changed just as well to accommodate polygamy. Whether or not I agree with polygamy (which I don't,) if you treat marriage as something flexible that can be adjusted for society's demands, then you can adjust it for those who wish for polygamy too (disregarding all the other counterarguments- which were better)
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
Polygamy always baffled me tbh. As someone in a relationship I know what jealousy is like whether it's legitimate or not. I can handle it, but I could not imagine being in a relationship with someone knowing they love other people the same way they love me. I could only imagine it feeling like I am being cheated on, but all the time and I am expected to not complain and live with not being the only one for my SO.

And then on the other end of the spectrum of having multiple husbands/wives, I honestly don't see how I could truly love all of them individually and equally. I can not understand how someone would not end up favoring any specific spouse and therefore neglecting the others.
Posted by kkal 1 year ago
kkal
you won't find a debate here because even the gays of the world have common sense. Just think of it as a democratic marriage. Just think majority rules so better dispute resolution, better child care options. more income possibilities, more family members to better care for senior moms and dads. I could go on and on about the benefits of polygamy!!
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
catastrophyLee001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by annaliese 1 year ago
annaliese
catastrophyLee001Tied
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
catastrophyLee001Tied
Vote Placed by 2-D 1 year ago
2-D
catastrophyLee001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff and dropped arguments