CatLover1
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Polytheistic religions offer a better choice for the people searching for new spiritual ground.

CatLover1

Pro

First I want to say that this is not disrespectful to anybody, and it's not intended to. Both types of faith have pro and con sides, and that's what we're here to address.

The first issues that should be addressed is the great "free will" ground. Monotheistic religions take a deity and call that deity all-powerful, all-loving and all-knowing, yet this deity gives us free-will. Knowing that we have free-will this deity comes up to us and says "Guys, I love you but if you do this and that I'll send you in eternal hell fire." Well, that deity is all-powerful, and that means that if he doesn't like murder for example, he could just make it disappear. But wait, free-willy! However, if he is all loving, he punishes us for doing something that he created or allowed to be created by something he created. So, he basically lets us screw it and then punishes us for it. Not so all-loving. In polytheism you've got a bunch of gods. They didn't actually create you, they tolerate you. You can do whatever you want, but if they don't like what you did they can just punish you now or in the afterlife if they want to. Like, say you murdered somebody, that's below their moral ground, it affects people in a negative way, therefore it was not a good choice, therefore they'll punish you for it. The question comes, why do they care about what happens to us? Well, because we do stuff they work with, like Athena is the patron goddess of cities, before there were only cities of gods, but when humans came, there are cities of humans, and she likes cities, so she takes care of them.

The next thing coming is the Satan issues, which could be translated as morality. In monotheism an evil being creates all the evil stuff. In polytheism, sorrow is a curse that comes at random while evil, well, that comes at random too, kind of like an initial curse. There is no truly evil being. You can't blame Satan for all the evil, it's only yourself. By an old law of the Cosmos (or something like that) at random both gods and humans will feel like doing evil and/or will receive evil. That makes an individual way more responsible for his/her actions, while with Satan, once again, God created the possibility for Satan to create evil, or you're saying that the possibility was already there case in which God is not all-powerful, and plus, God is all-knowing, shouldn't he know what Satan was about to do?
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

I accept your challenge.

First of all, what is your religion? You didn't put it on your profile, and it is pretty relevant to this debate.

You seem to be confused about the idea of religion as a whole. I'm an Atheist myself, but I was raised a Catholic, and I took much interest on studying other religions. Anyway, religion is not necessarily "pick which one sounds cool", but more what the traditions are where you live, what you were raised as, and what you truly believe in. I don't believe in any gods, but monotheistic and polytheistic religion's moral's are pretty similar. They all revolve around "Don't kill, respect you god/gods, don't hurt people etc.".

You do sound like an intelligent person, I like how you think critically about things. You Christianity image is well thought out, and your points are true. However, nearly everyone's religion is just what it is where you live. You can't really change someone's beliefs if they have a closed mind.
CatLover1

Pro

CatLover1 forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Have I stumped you?

I just think you should really consider what other people's belief's are. If someone has an open mind, they can be willing to try new religions. However, most people are committed to the religion that they grew up with, and to make polytheistic religions work, you would have to change whole countries and schools to make polytheism a default thing.

It's a touchy subject, but I think that as long as no one gets hurt, let people believe what they want.
CatLover1

Pro

CatLover1 forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Ok... looks like you aren't going to debate me then.
CatLover1

Pro

CatLover1 forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Are you just going to forfeit every round?
CatLover1

Pro

CatLover1 forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Well then, looks like I've won.
Posted by Outsider 3 years ago
Outsider
You say 'Polytheism' but really are only talking about the Greek gods. Not all Polytheistic religions are the same.
"while evil, well, that comes at random too"
Not True. Certain polytheistic religions have good and evil gods
Posted by Bernkastel 3 years ago
Bernkastel
Just for clarity: are you saying "existing polytheistic religions offer a better choice than existing monotheistic religions", or "the concept of polytheistic religions offers a better choice fundamentally than the concept of monotheistic religions"? It's a little confusing, as the title seems to imply you mean in concept but your opening suggests you mean in practice. Or perhaps I'm just inferring incorrectly one way or the other.