Fishbait
vigarothe13

Poor people are Far better off than rich people

vigarothe13

Fishbait

Pro

Hello, who ever you are. I am new to this debating thing, and would prefer someone who will not try and make a fool out of me, but rather get to the point. I believe that if a person has a lot of money, that person will soon realise that all the things money can buy will never be enough, so it is better to have very little, and enjoy the best things in life and forget about all the rest. Note: When i say very little, I mean just enough to take care of things and thats it. I look forward to your arguments, and may the best debater win!
vigarothe13

Con

Hi Fishbait,
I do not really think that the whole if you are rich you will be unhappy thing true in most cases, although this may happen to some rich people. It depends more on the type of person that you were before you got the large amounts of cash. If a person was okay and happy with their life before the riches then I believe that it would just enhance that persons life because they now have lots of other opportunities to go along with their personality. If a person only wanted "things" and then got rich and got all of those things and then didn't know what else to do then I could see how they might be unhappy. I personally have not grown up with much more than what is considered necessity (at least for living in the US, in some places I would be considered spoiled) but riches would not change my view of things. Since I am already happy in my current situation I would not be spending the money to fill a void of happiness but rather to decrease some unhappiness(ie.bill,stress, etc)
Fishbait

Pro

I guess i was talking about how money can destroy peoples lives, rape the forest, and do all kinds of damage on its way to the table. Large amounts of cash do not make people happy. Majority rules when one is looking for facts. I have done countless searches on the net, and come to find that modesty is the best way to go! And since i felt this way before my search, i was not influenced in any which way. So if the voter can agree that we silly naked humans, would be better off with only the things we need, like food, clothes, Eco friendly housing, and a vacation every now and then, that would mean i win! If not you win! But this is just a fun round for me anyway! As I go I will think of clearer, and way cleaner topics.
vigarothe13

Con

1.Money doesn't destroy peoples lives, people destroy peoples lives. It's like guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. The gun is simply one option present to cause the affirmative action in this case "murder" or "killing" if the gun didn't exist these actions would have still taken place by other means like a knife or crossbow for example. The same goes for money it is just the thing that gets blamed and not the root of the problem.
2.I didn't say large amounts of money would make people happy, but rather that it would not make them unhappy.
3.In your scenario of silly naked humans a person achieving these things probably works 40+ hours a week just to afford what is seen here as basic needs. Meaning less time to spend with family, loved ones, and less time doing things that are enjoyable or meaningful to that person. So living a simple life makes it harder to enjoy what one might consider "the best things in life" as you mentioned in your first statement.
Fishbait

Pro

I suddenly realized, i have better things to be doing with my time!
vigarothe13

Con

Fair enough, I had fun debating with you.

P.S. If you ever find yourself receiving a large amount of money I would be more than willing to take it off of yours hands so that we can both maximize our respective amounts of happiness based on our viewpoints.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
This resolution is pretty off the wall.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
Fishbaitvigarothe13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by RougeFox 5 years ago
RougeFox
Fishbaitvigarothe13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession