princesskimbie
sboss18

Poor people are most likely to get hair lice

princesskimbie has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

princesskimbie

Pro

I hate when you google "hair lice" and a bunch of articles come up saying how hair lice love clean hair so you shouldn't feel embarrassed that you have hair lice, because they love clean hair. And although it's probably true, I think it's bull because only ghetto/poor people have it. I'm just being honest. I have never seen a school with rich kids who have hair lice, it's usually in the ghetto or dirty people.
sboss18

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate. Since they began their argument in their Round 1 post, I will begin my rebuttal.

All evidence my opponent has shared was purely anecdotal, and they even go so far as to say "And although [the fact that lice love clean hair is] probably true, I think it's bull..." They are disregarding what they believe to be a true statement simply because it doesn't SOUND true to them. Evidence would support the contrary.

According to research from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, "Getting head lice is not related to cleanliness of the person or his or her environment." [1] i.e. someone's socioeconomic status has little effect on their likeliness to get lice.

It is true that head lice prefer clean hair, because, as another source points out, "Lice thrive on clean hair. When hair is clean there are no oils, dirt, dandruff, and debris in the hair so the lice have an easier time feeding and laying their eggs on the hair. Dirty hair makes it difficult for lice to eat, since lice eat blood by biting on the scalp." [2]

Source(s):