kenicks
Daysuit

Pop Tarts > Toaster Strudel

kenicks

Pro

While this debate may be somewhat lesser of overall importance, and may be considered to some as "polluting the site". I would like to open up by saying to all that this debate is in all seriousness, and I do not make it a hobby of mine to waste my time making pointless, stupid debates (i.e., mynameisjonas).

My debate concerns the arugment that Kellogs Pop Tarts are indeed better than Pillsbury Toaster Strudels. I first gained interest in the two breakfast side dishes a few years ago, both at the same time. I was commercially attracted to both of their ads, with Toaster Strudels' squeezable icing and thick shape, and Pop Tarts' crude but creative animation gimmicks (CRAAAAAZY GOOD!). I pleaded my mom to buy both, for the opportunity of tasting both and determining which would be better. She grudgingly agreed, hoping I would only like one, so she wouldnt have to buy both kinds every week.

Luckily for her, I did end up only liking one brand-can you guess which one? It was a sunday morning when I popped one of each of the pastries into the toaster, one blueberry pop tart and one blueberry toaster strudel. After 3 minutes or so they popped out, and I first sunk my teeth into the toaster strudel. I felt a few sensations at first, like a flaky, soft bread-crumbish feeling. "So the exterior isn't that great," I said to myself. When I reached the filling, I found barely any, and that the seemingly-stuffed strudel was filled not with fruity filling, but mostly air. My hope didn't dissipate quite when I realized I had forgotten the most important part of the pastry-the delectable, squeezable icing. When I attempted to squeeze on the frosting in the perfect, zig-zag formations like the commercials showed, I found that the sugary topping came out in amorphous globs, with half of it sticking to the sides of the plastic tube. I bit into the second piece to find the same result, except with the added bonus of overly sweetened frosting. Yechhh.

"Ok, so that rules out the Toaster Strudels," I thought to myself. "Hopefully the Pop Tarts will be better." I picked up the Pop Tart, which seemed to be exceptionally hotter than the Toaster Strudel. I bit into the Pop Tart and was in a swirling world of taste, so much more that the Toaster Strudel offered. The Pop Tart sported a thin, crunchier crust, with the frosting previously spreaded and hardened on, with more of a crystal-glazed sugary taste. Before I could contemplate and compare the exterior of the Pop Tart to the Toaster Strudel, an explosion of hot, delicious filling burst into my mouth, with more of a genuine, fresh fruity blueberry taste than the Strudel. Trapped in a swirling world of delight, I happily devoured the rest of the Pop Tart, and gladfully had another.

Not wanting to be a glutton, I limited myself to 2 Pop Tarts per week, on the weekends only, keeping the food somewhat sacred. As for the Toaster Strudels, I offered the rest of the box to my dad, who took one bite of one and threw the box out. True story.
Daysuit

Con

It all boils down to texture. Do you like your morning breakfast treat to be hard and crumbly with slate concrete like frosting covering fruity inerts as flat and bland as the cardboard they are packaged in? Or do you like flaky crispy soft pastries with creamy smooth icing and soft flavorful fruit filling? Plus how many times have you run into a broken pop tart, rendering it un-toastable, I have.
kenicks

Pro

I would like to start off this argument by directing my attention to the comment left below; KON, you said that you "hate when debates are based on opinion." In fact, most all debates are based on opinions; Beliefs of God, Jesus and religion are all based on opinion. Feelings on abortion are based on opinion. Almost all sports debates are based on opinion. If you believe that debates should not be based on opinion, I suggest you find another debating site.

Back to the Tart-Strudel war. You state that many of us "run into a broken pop tart, rendering it un-toastable", including you. Au Contraire. A broken Pop-Tart is not always an untoastable one, just pop both halves into the toaster, and enjoy. Just because the exterior of something is broken doesn't mean the inside is ruined, and that it can't be fixed. But don't worry, I'm sure your Toaster Strudels are at less risk for breaking. The cheap air pumped into the inside of the bread provides a handy airbag. Of course, once it does break, the flaky, dry bread falls off without the support that backs it up, leaving you with the bottom half of the strudel and the filling. Oh, and I almost forgot, that desireable frosting.

The filling in Pop Tarts is anything but "flat and bland". The filling in uncooked Pop Tarts is tasty as is, but once you heat it up everything meshes to together in perfect harmony. The filling, which is inserted in between the top and bottom of the thin exterior, melts in with the heat of the Pop Tarts. When bitten into, the thin, crunchy exterior compliments the hot, oozing, melted filling, giving you the perfect combination of a crisp outside and a sticky inside. I'm in a breakfast utopia just thinking about it.

Toaster Strudels' filling would have the same effect...except for one problem. The cheap, money-saving air they pump into the Strudel prevents the filling from sticking to the top of the exterior, thus when the strudel is heated up, the dry, flaky bread part of the pastry becomes hot, while the filling remains in the state of a wet, amorphous glob, quite like the shape of Play-Doh. I'd take smooth and sticky over soggy and shapeless any day.

Another point I'd like to bring up is the companies that manufacture and sell the pastries, Kellogg's and Pillsbury. Let's take a look at some of Kellogg's products:

Cereal:
All Bran�
Corn FlakesI would like to start off this argument by directing my attention to the comment left below; KON, you said that you "hate when debates are based on opinion." In fact, most all debates are based on opinions; Beliefs of God, Jesus and religion are all based on opinion. Feelings on abortion are based on opinion. Almost all sports debates are based on opinion. If you believe that debates should not be based on opinion, I suggest you find another debating site.

Cereal:
All Bran�
Corn Flakes�
Raisin Bran�
Rice Krispies� with real strawberries
Corn Pops�
Smart Start�

Cereal Bars (all with a mere 90 calories):
Special K� Bliss Bar Orange
Special K� Bliss Bar Raspberry
Special K� Bar Blueberry
Special K� Bar Honey Nut
Special K� Bar Peaches and Berrie
Special K� Bar Strawberries
Special K� Bar Vanilla Crisp

Protein Bars (No Trans Fat)
Special K� Protein Snack Bar Chocolate Peanut
Special K� Protein Snack Bar Chocolate Delight
Special K� Protein Meal Bar Strawberry
Special K� Protein Meal Bar Chocolate Peanut Butter
Special K� Protein Meal Bar Double Chocolate

Protein Water (No fat and 50 Calories each)
Special K� Protein Water Lemon Twist
Special K� Protein Water Strawberry Kiwi
Special K� Protein Water Tropical Blend

Now, let's take a look at Pillsbury's products:

Pizza:
Totino's� Pizza Rolls Snacks (385 calories, 18.9 grams of Total Fat per roll)
Totino's� Pizza
Jeno's Pizza

Sweet Treats:
Big Deluxe Classic Peanut Butter Cup Cookie
Ready to bake cookies with walnuts (over half of Calories ones from fat)
Sweet Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing (310 Calories per roll)
Perfect Apple Pie (410 calories per slice)

Frozen Foods (Keyword: Frozen):
Oven Baked Dinner Rolls
Grands!� Frozen Biscuits
Microwave Biscuits
Totino's� Pizza Rolls Snacks
Totino's Pizza
Jeno's Pizza

Once again, the list goes on.

Might I mention that the Pop Tart is lower in cholesterol than the Toaster Strudel (in fact, it is cholesterol-free), and is higher in essential carbohydrates and protein that the Strudel? Pop Tarts are healthier and better-tasting than the Toaster Strudel, and I would rather support a product who's company is a producer of healthy foods rich in whole grains and low in fat, rather than a product who's company is a producer of high calorie, high-fat, frozen foods-the ones that are destroying America's diet.
Daysuit

Con

Daysuit forfeited this round.
kenicks

Pro

My opponent has forfeited for the reasons that he "Has only enough material left for one round." Just a pointer for Daysuit; a good debator uses his material throughout each of the set amount of rounds, spreading out his material evenly to support his argument. Missing a round implies to one's opponent that he has given up, conceded the debate. I am not criticizing you, just helping you out for future reference.

Back to the argument. I'd like to compare the two products, minus the qualities of flavor, health, and texture. Pop Tarts first broke out into the world in the early 1960's, as a Kelloggs' product. Their profits and ratings soared, with the first frosted Pop Tarts released in 1967, and the mascot of Milton The Toaster brought to the marketing world in 1971. Over time, Pop Tarts gained a reputation as being part of a daily breakfast, and Pop Tarts became a common household name.

Pop Tarts have served a great deal for the benefit of America, but also outside countries as well; in 2001, the United States Military was supplied with 2.4 million Pop Tarts, for their long tenure in the United States War in Afghanistan.

Now let's look at Toaster Strudels as their own product; Pillsbury's toaster strudels were first released just a few years ago, in the middle of the hype of many other new products released by Pillsbury. Toaster Strudels have yet to earn the reputation that Pop-Tarts have, lacking a slogan, mascot (other than the Pillsbury doughboy, who serves as the primary mascot for nearly all of Pillsbury's products), and charitable acts. If you hear about 2.4 million Toaster Strudels being dropped in Iraq, let me know.

Toaster Strudels are also imitation products; they are most known for resembling strudel (obviously) and Pop Tarts. Real strudel is a delcious, mouthwatering Austrian pastry, stuffed with ingredients such as apples, soft cheese, sour cherries, spinach, and sauerkraut. Toaster strudel lacks these extravagant fillings, with the majority of Toaster Strudel's fillings being those of the "fruit" variety. Those that are not fruity filling are typical flavors such as Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Chocolate Fudge and French Toast. Toaster Strudels compared to real strudel is like trying to compare Sunny D to 100% Orange Juice.

Pillsbury clearly got the idea and initiative for Toaster Strudels from Pop Tarts, with the same rectangular shape and failed attempt at topping the style and texture. Pop Tarts are an original, and they are their own product; anything released after them is nothing but an apery, a replica, a travesty; a phony.

Pop Tarts > Toaster Strudel.
Daysuit

Con

Daysuit forfeited this round.
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
I've never had toaster streudel, but I always figured they were better than pop-tarts. Anyway, pro wins.
Posted by olle15 9 years ago
olle15
Daysuit I didn't agree with your first round even if you can't toast the broken pop tart theres always the microwave.
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
Kenicks wins on conceded points and lack of refutation.
Posted by Daysuit 9 years ago
Daysuit
I really only have enough argument for one last round.
Posted by prepsexpot69 9 years ago
prepsexpot69
MMM...love poptarts, but toaster streudels are amazing.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
*hits self on head with shovel repeatedly*
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
whoops. I apologize for my mishap with repeating the opening arugment. please ignore it and read on.
Posted by K0N 9 years ago
K0N
Real debates should be based on cold, hard facts...
Posted by K0N 9 years ago
K0N
Man, I hate when debates are based on opinion!
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by bonnie_boy_returns 9 years ago
bonnie_boy_returns
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by docargument 9 years ago
docargument
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by Kals 9 years ago
Kals
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by mrqwerty 9 years ago
mrqwerty
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
kenicksDaysuitTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
kenicksDaysuitTied