Lolzer2001
1020409

Pop music is not real music

Started: 12/3/2015 Category: Music

Lolzer2001

Pro

Pop music has no meaning like music should therefore isn't music.
1020409

Con

You say pop music is not real music? I disagree because pop music is real music because people listen to it. These people find meaning behind the words and they relate to them, therefore, pop music is real music.
Lolzer2001

Pro

Lolzer2001 forfeited this round.
1020409

Con

As you can see, Lolzer2001 has forfeited round 2 of our debate topic "Pop music is not real music". I on the other hand will continue with this debate. Pop music might not be as fun and groovy as other types of music to some people. This topic we are discussing is a matter of opinion. Me? Well I like all types of music. Old, country, rap, and yes, pop. Going back to my opponent's first argument, all music was written for a reason, therefore there is meaning to all music. Beethoven wrote his version of classical for a reason, Taylor Swift switched her genre of song choices, and ACDC loved to just blurt out the words that came to mind. All these people wrote their songs from their experiences. Yes, sometimes songs were written for them (like Taylor Swift) but the people who wrote them obviously had meaning behind their word choice. Again, I disagree that pop music isn't music.
Lolzer2001

Pro

Lolzer2001 forfeited this round.
1020409

Con

Well, since my opponent has forfeited, I won. My final view of the topic 'Pop music is not real music' shows in the other two rounds. Thank you, Lolzer2001 for creating this debate topic. This was a fun relaxing debate and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
Posted by SewCrazy 1 year ago
SewCrazy
I know of so many pop songs with true meaning, songs that people can relate to. Yes some pop songs have no meaning but many do
Posted by WormWood8 1 year ago
WormWood8
well before you can answer the question "is pop music real music" you need to ask yourself what is "real music". Now ive been studying music for over 11 years now and in that time ive heard and played some strange songs and pieces. And from this i have found that 'real' music doesn't exist, its only music, music being the collation of sounds put together which work in and out of harmony. What i think this is all really about is how the evolution of music has changed our perception on what music really is today. Lets take a quick history lesson.
Back in the period of great composers like Mozart, Chopin and Beethoven we had eras of music like classical, romantic and Baroque, for example the baroque period happened between 1600-1750 during this time EVERYONE listen to baroque, (when i say listen i mean attend performances), this happened with the romantic era and the classical era even coming to the early 1900 with the neo-classical era. But after the evolution of jazz and rock and roll music became more and more fluid people listened to different things depending on the individual. does this make one type of music better or have more meaning then the other... NO.

long story short music changes and we are in a period of constant change and therefore we can no longer scale our predictions of 'real' music on the past.
Posted by Lyssie 1 year ago
Lyssie
...define "pop music." I know a lot of songs that could be classified as pop music that have deep and important.
Posted by LearnLiveLove 1 year ago
LearnLiveLove
I would like to ask, what type of meaning are you looking for to consider pop music to be "real music"? I ask this because some pop music actually does have meaning. I think it is a hasty generalization to assume that ALL pop music doesn't have meaning then try to conclude your statement by saying that pop music isn't real music. (If this is not what you are suggesting, I advise you to change your proposition) Lastly, I would just like to point out that pop music has already met the criteria needed to be music. According to the Webster dictionary, music is vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony. In conclusion, I think pop music is real music.

I didn't enter the debate because it says, "You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria."
Posted by wwwwh 1 year ago
wwwwh
So... the person who has lived in Scotland all their life isn't actually a Scotsman? very interesting indeed.