sasa0515
AbandonedSpring

Pop music isn't real music...

Started: 11/13/2014 Category: Music

sasa0515

Pro

Pop music is not "real" music. If you turn on your popular local radio station most of the songs that are being played are Pop. Every Pop song is mostly about the same thing if you break it down. They are either about relationships, partying, and sex. We could be making music about real problems instead of people breaking up with their girlfriend/boyfriend. It's not really creative. They mostly all have that same upbeat tune too. So many people today are so closed of to other genres or music like Rock, Dubstep, Punk, Classic Rock, Ect.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Alright, as affirmative, the burden of proof is on you. I don't even listen to pop music, but you can't just say somethings not music simply because you don't like it.

Music: The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

As you can see, it is by definition, music.

This situation is very similar to how people say a certain genre of music isn't art, but they think that the genre of art they listen to is.

Thanks
sasa0515

Pro

listen, it's DIDN'T say that I dislike Pop music and that is why I'm saying its not real music. I'm saying that I don't think its real music because it's the same thing over and over again. Music is supposed to be creative but Pop music isn't. Plus, how are you fighting against me if you don't listen to it.
AbandonedSpring

Con

You cant just think a genre of music is not music for what ever reason. I can argue this because I know music, and I cansay that somepop music is good. Of course sometimes its repetitive and annoying, but every genre has music like that. Ex. Rock: screamo

My definition of music still stands, and technically pop music fits under tbat definition.

Thanks
sasa0515

Pro

You obviously weren't reading my arguments correctly. You are arguing just to argue you have no real point behind you statement. You keep changing it. When you start an argument you have to end it correctly. thank you for wasting my time.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Alright, don't really understand what your trying to get at, however you failed to rebut every single point I had, so I'm assuming you gave up and are agreeing with Con.

I reaffirm that pop music is music because it is is made up of rhythmic patters. There is no line that determines whether something is music or not, similar to how there is a very broad line between paintings. Ex. Leonard Da Vinci v. Picasso.

I also never changed my argument. I always stated pop music is art music simply because we can not just say, I don't like it, therefore it's not music.

I'd also like to point out that ultimately my opponent failed to prove pop music is not real music, you also go really bitter at the end, so I am assuming that that was your way of saying that you know you did not prove your argument.

Thanks

http://www.artesmagazine.com...
http://www.museupicasso.bcn.cat...
Posted by ambivalentsoul 2 years ago
ambivalentsoul
I would have voted to con if i had rights to vote and it i could vote