hud0007
Teemo

Pop music isn't really music.

Teemo
Started: 4/21/2014 Category: Music

hud0007

Pro

Do you consider popular (as in the genre) music to be legitimate "real" music. In my opinion it isn't; it's fake music for the modern day. Anyone have a different opinion? Argue away!
Teemo

Con

I thank pro for creating this debate. I assume I will be for pop music being real music. I accept the debate.
hud0007

Pro

Hello Teemo, Thankyou for accepting my debate. I look forward to hearing your opinion on the issue, and hope you will accept mine. I'm coming into this debate with an open mind; if you offer a convincing argument, my opinion will change.

I just want to outline some rules of how this debate will run:

ROUND 1: This was the previous round, just for accepting the debate.

ROUND 2: The current round. In this round you must clearly introduce the topic and state your opinion. Please refrain from arguing and providing evidence for your opinions at this stage.

ROUND 3: State why you think your opinion is right. Include any evidence you deem necessary. This should be the longest round; you must offer several points for your case in order for the next two rounds to work properly.

ROUND 4: REBUTAL 1: This is where we both rebut each other's arguments, claiming why we think the other person is wrong, claiming why we think we're right.

ROUND 5: REBUTAL 2/CONCLUSION: Rebut the arguments raised in Round 4 and conclude your debate. This is important, for the voters will probably pay the most attention to the end.

Have fun and enjoy!

I will argue for the statement "Pop music isn't really music"; the Con will be arguing against the statement.. First I must define some terms:

Pop music is a musical genre, consisting of popular music. Some popular artists include Katy Perry, Elton John, Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift.

The basic definition of music is anything that either consists of melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre. Of course there are other elements too, such as dynamics and tempo. This basic definition is a common belief; it's what most people believe because it's in the dictionary. In my opinion, this definition is incorrect, i.e. there is more to music them just what the definition states (this will be expanded on in Round 3).

So in my opinion, I think that Pop Music doesn't fit the definition of what music is (philisophically speaking). In Round 3, I will establish arguments for my opinions and state my phillosophies, brace yourself!

Thankyou for reading, I look forward to hearing what you have to say this round (remember, don't argue just yet!)
Teemo

Con

So for this round, I must only state opinion. My opinion on the matter is that anything can be music. I believe the definition presented is correct, however without it, pop music is still music. First of all, it is litteraly in the music category. Furthermore, I am assuming you think that real music is music that speak to people. Music that helps people understand, music that people make from their hearts. This also applies to pop music. Though most of it isn't there still is many that are.
hud0007

Pro

hud0007 forfeited this round.
Teemo

Con

I will allow my opponent to return in all fairness. I am aware they are very dedicated to this debate, so I find it unfair to continue without them.
hud0007

Pro

hud0007 forfeited this round.
Teemo

Con

Anything is music, pop music is not an exception.
hud0007

Pro

hud0007 forfeited this round.
Teemo

Con

Most of it was forfeit. My proof is that music is anything that requires melody rythym etc.
Posted by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
Christian_Debater
Pro, just talk about how Pop music has been used to manipulate people's perspectives on reality and change their behavior. You can cite how people's morality has changed over the years due to the music environment around them. You can start as early as the Beatles. You just need to prove the music is manufactured to manipulate people's minds and then it turns from music into a weapon instead. Also, don't forget to bring up back-tracking in your debate.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Music is hardly philosophical, pro, and your statements contradict each other, You say "pop" music is a musical genre", and then you say its not.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
hud0007TeemoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had a rather contradicting view, that he defended at no point during the debate and instead resorted to forfeit. Also don't make rules to be followed after someone already accepts, rules should be made in the opening round and accepted by the other party as terms of the debate, not something that can be made/changed chaotically.