MidnightDaze
erkifish26

Pop should be offered in highschools

MidnightDaze

Pro

Recently all schools having been taking the choice of having pop out of all catholic and public schools.

I think once a student has reached high school they should be able to make the choice of what they want to drink.
erkifish26

Con

High schools should not encourage their students to drink soda. I'm not suggesting that students shouldn't be allowed to bring their own soda if they choose to and I agree that high schoolers can make their own choices. However, when high schools offer their students soda, they encourage a style of living that we are trying to move away from as a whole. Caffeine addiction and obesity are two major problems that affect teenagers today, so by offering soda, the school simply makes it easier to obtain access to a product that can lead to either of those two problems. There are no benefits to the school itself offering the students the soda.
MidnightDaze

Pro

By the age of 15 a student is aware of the circumstances that may attribute to what they eat. Offering soda in school is no different then offering a double cheeseburger meal or fries. Schools already tell students what is good and what isnt. Schools even show video's such as "supersize me" to help us realize the choices we make affect out body and all outcomes of our choices.

We should still be free to make them, however we choose. Also, i'd like to point out. You say that students should be allowed to bring it into the school. if pop is banned from being sold at schools they also ban it from boundrys, if schools choose to stop something should they not stop it complety instead of half a job?
erkifish26

Con

On a side note, 13 and 14 year olds do attend high schools, so if you want a really easy place to vote for me, you can do it there.

Second, I never suggest that schools should offer double cheese burgers or fries. I believe that schools should offer the healthy meals that they encourage.

It would be hypocritical for schools to criticize a certain style of living and then offer their students the very types of foods that they discourage. While they shouldn't impose their views on students, they shouldn't encourage things that directly contradict the healthy decision making that they teach. For example, if a school discourages cursing but then supports a fan club that allows cursing, they are basically invalidating the very message that they're trying send out.

You raise a good point about being doing "half the job", but remember: I do not want to impose viewpoints on others. I just do not think schools should sell things that they speak out against. They should respect the student's ability to evaluate all the information they give them and make a rational choice. However, on the same token, by offering soda, they take out their own point. This makes it easy for a student to cop out of healthy decision making. What we don't want is the mindset of, "If the school sells it, it can't really be that bad for me.
MidnightDaze

Pro

Yes i understand. Students may interpret the fact that pop is healthy for them because it is offered at school. But, that is no different then going to subway and being offered pop at the same time. What we drink is clearly the choice of the individual not that of who is providing what we wish to recive. If anything unhealthy for you is to be taken because of what older indivduals think maybe the student body should be asked first.

Like i've clearly stated, students are aware of what is good for them and what isnt; especially as far as our eating habits are concerned. And as you've complied, students of the age 13 and 14 do attend high school but even the they know whats good for them. Just because they are younger does not make them oblivious to health concerns. We are to make choices based on our own decisions and we are to deal with the outcomes.

And this isnt even to mention the fact that there are so many other things proided as well. Such as juice, milk, water, tea, coffee. What we want shouldnt be decided by someone else.
erkifish26

Con

The difference between going to Subway and getting pop (I like that. It's kind catchy) and going to school and getting pop is that Subway doesn't preach to you about the dangers of obesity and then sell you soda. While they may try to appeal to a healthy group of people, they never explicitly teach healthy decision making the way a school does.

Once again, voting for me does not mean students can't drink pop at school. It just means that the school itself should not be selling it. I'm still allowing the students to bring their own pop. The school sends out the wrong message to students when it sells things that it speaks out against. My opponent never really said what's so bad about having to bring your own soda, so I guess you can vote for me there.

Thank you. It's been a fun round!
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
I'd initially thought the debate was about pop [music].
We refer to them as "soft drinks" or "fizzy drinks" here in New Zealand.
Posted by MidnightDaze 9 years ago
MidnightDaze
yes thank you ^.^ i enjoyed this ^.~
Posted by MidnightDaze 9 years ago
MidnightDaze
hahaha this is my first debat =S

I live in Canada, its refered to as pop.
Posted by erkifish26 9 years ago
erkifish26
Ya same. In New York it's soda (which I guess is obvious based on my response).
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
LOL, I never hear it referred to as pop up North. Sorry I just had to laugh because I thought this debate was about grandfathers , or popsicles.lol
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
Schools should never be a supplier of a product they are critical of. This has nothing to do with freedom of choice or the ability of students to make their own decisions.
Posted by erkifish26 9 years ago
erkifish26

Vote Placed by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by zakkuchan 9 years ago
zakkuchan
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by jazzy.twoohnine 9 years ago
jazzy.twoohnine
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by moonclip 9 years ago
moonclip
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by kcougar52 9 years ago
kcougar52
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by MidnightDaze 9 years ago
MidnightDaze
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by MattMan1 9 years ago
MattMan1
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied
Vote Placed by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
MidnightDazeerkifish26Tied