RicheyWentz
J.Kenyon

Poptarts are better than toaster strudels

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

RicheyWentz

Pro

I was enjoying a delicious cookie dough poptarts with cold white milk when this came on the telly:

What a punk. In the commercial it states, "like poptarts, only better."

That's right, toaster studels admit to plagarizing poptarts. Poptarts also came first and toaster strudels were just uber jealous.

Also poptarts influenced toaster studels!

"It was developed by a young business man whose father reportedly first had the thought to make a flaky treat whilst eating a cherry filled pop-tart."

There are also more flavors of poptarts. They have 29 flavors compared to only 13 toaster strudel flavors.

Finally, taste wise, poptarts are always nice and warm while toaster studels always taste cold inside.
J.Kenyon

Con

Thanks, RicheyWentz for instigating this challenge. As instigator and Pro, my opponent has the burden of proof in this debate. I'm not required to prove that toaster strudels are better than poptarts. As per the phrasing of the resolution, if I can show that Pro's arguments fail, that both poptarts and strudels are equally good, that neither is better than the other, or that the question itself is meaningless, I win.

C1. The resolution does not express a proposition

A proposition is a type of statement that has a boolean truth value ie., it must be either true or false. Not all utterances express propositions. For example, imperatives like "go jump in a lake," or interrogatives like "what color is the sky?" are not propositions. Propositions must be declarative, such as "bananas are yellow," or "Barack Obama is the current President of the United States." But not all declarative statements are propositions. For example, the statement "The King of the United States is black" is meaningless because America doesn't have a King. Similarly, aesthetic judgments, or statements regarding personal preferences are not propositions.[1] "Apples are delicious" is not a proposition, although "I think apples are delicious" is a proposition, as it can, and must, be either true or false.

The resolution "poptarts are better than toaster strudels," like "apples are delicious" is purely a matter of subjective preference. It is not a proposition; it is not truth-apt, and thus it can't possibly be affirmed.

C2. I think poptarts taste awful

If we're just going to argue over our subjective preferences, I think poptarts are terrible. They're dry and crumbly and taste like WWI surplus bread rations. Strudels are moist and flaky with a delicious filling. See? I've just matched Pro's level of analysis. That means I win.

A1. Toaster strudels admit to plagiarizing poptarts

Irrelevant. This is a fallacious argumentum ad antiquitatem. [2] Just because poptarts came first doesn't make them better. Moreover, the definition of plagiarism is "the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work."[3] In the advertisement, Pillsbury openly credits Poptarts as originating the toaster pastry idea, thus they have not technically plagiarized.

A2. There are more flavors of poptarts

Also irrelevant. Thirteen delicious flavors are better than 29 awful flavors.[4]

A3. Poptarts are always nice and warm while toaster studels always taste cold inside

This just means you're retarded and don't know how to use a toaster properly. Turn the temperature down and leave the strudel in longer to allow the heat to become evenly distributed.[5]

References:

1. http://www.iep.utm.edu...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://dictionary.reference.com...
4. http://www.mugglenet.com...
5. http://en.wikipedia.org...
RicheyWentz

Pro

Poptarts have a better name and...they still taste better to me so they must be better. toaster studels are also mean and rip on poptarts for no reason either so they aren't proving they are better.
J.Kenyon

Con

Pro has dropped his three contentions and failed to address both of mine. He asserts without argument that Poptarts have a better name and that they taste better to him.

Extend my arguments. Vote con.
RicheyWentz

Pro

RicheyWentz forfeited this round.
J.Kenyon

Con

Extend my arguments. Vote Con.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"too man easy victories is bad for you" Sorry, it's ARE. Oh and please don't hesitate to correct my grammar.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"If you win this Kenyon, do not feel proud. :P" Yes, BE PROUD instead :D, of course, too man easy victories is bad for you, but I can understand why you would want to have a bit of light fun.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
If you win this Kenyon, do not feel proud. :P
Posted by socialpinko 6 years ago
socialpinko
Shame on you Kenyon, going around looking for easy wins.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
Pop Tarts are dry, crusty, and flavorless like cardboard.

Toaster Strudels are moist and filled with wholesome fruit compote and liquid frosting as opposed to dry crusty frosty.

The above is empirical fact. No debate is possible. One would have to somehow demonstrate that dry, crusty, and flavorless is better than moist, wholesome, and flavorful.
Posted by Phoenix_Reaper 6 years ago
Phoenix_Reaper
I would accept this one but I wold pull more semantics...
Vote Placed by Amveller 6 years ago
Amveller
RicheyWentzJ.KenyonTied
Reasons for voting decision: da
Vote Placed by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
RicheyWentzJ.KenyonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro dropped the contentions of Con, had more errors in spelling/grammar, and hardly provided sources. Forfeit is a violation of conduct. All points to Con.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
RicheyWentzJ.KenyonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Washout, but two points to Pro as a handicap for facing The Kenyon.