cordeliachase
SetPoint

Popular music has become repetitve and not artistic.

cordeliachase

Pro

It seems that the music being released today is all simply corporate. The singers are making themselves sound robotic, rap/hip hop/r&b is taking over, companies are signing the same thing over and over again, and everyone is writing about senseless things like dancing with girls on a table or having a lot of money.
SetPoint

Con

I would first like to thank The Instigator for such a creative and intellectually stimulating resolution.

I now open my case with a very relevant quotation:
"Music is fluid; like any form of art, it will always shift with its people and conform and compliment the ideas and beliefs of its people as the change" (University of Virginia Music Library)

It is because I am in agreement with Diana Ross, prominent singer and celebrity, that I negate todays resolution. Because of the fairly simple and straightforward nature of the resolution, I feel that a laundry list of definitions will be unnecessary in respect for my time, my opponents time, and you the judge's time.

My first contention states that popular music has most certainly NOT become repetitive, and if anything, has become more diverse and rich compared to the past.

Let's first consider the music of the past - a time when the Pro implies is filled with more "artistic" and original music. Perhaps the most obvious time periods that comes to mind would be the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods of the Piano. Famous composers of this time including Mozart were the ones who created the most repetitive forms of music. Their pieces were all units in a series, or symphony, and together form one continuous concerto. Within each of these individual pieces, the general style and intonations were carbon copies of the type of music prevalent during the time of their creation. Because Mozart lived during the classical period, his music mirrored the melodic accompaniment, major scale style of music. There was nothing "new" about this work and there was certainly multiple common sounds and scales that found their way into many of his pieces. To serve yet another example, famous composer Antonio Vivaldi lived during the Baroque period and most of his songs mirrored the overall music style of his age which was contrapositive conflicts and basic rhythmic patterns.

By no means am I making a claim that these composers were not artistic, or that their use of repetition has detracted from their overall success, but I am simply saying that repetition has always been a part of music - and any art in general. After all, it takes repetition and copying to stir the creative juices and catalyze the formation of new trends. Still, the fact that these musical periods such as the Classical or Baroque periods lasted for hundreds of years, it makes no sense to begin belittling current music as un-original or repetitive considering how our current rap/R&B and techno music has only been around for a few decades.

My second contention states that labeling all popular music as "not artistic" is completely apocryphal.

Right off the bat, I'm going to say artists like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers certainly make our current music industry look like a joke, but examples like these cannot be extrapolated to represent our entire popular music culture.

Firstly, songs of today are just as rich with meaning as songs of the past - if not more so since older forms of music had no lyrics at all. At face value, songs like 2pac's "changes" sounds like just another rap song replete with curses and drugs, but actually reading the lyrics reveals a much more deeper concern by this artist on our current social conditions. In this song, 2pac openly describes his disillusionment of the racism and violence in our society. Another example is, dare I say, Britney spear's "womanizer"? Yes. I will. Looking past the edited voices, and the computerized instruments reveals Spears' understanding of promiscuous men who just try to sleep with women. In an interview on z100, a popular New York radio station, Spears' even stated that the song was a message to all the men out there who play women that women like her are not stupid and are aware what they are up to. The song was also Britney's way to comfort girls who have been through relationships with abusive or un-caring men. See? Even someone like Britney can have deep meaning in her songs.

Second, the plethora of new "electrical" and "computerized" instruments cannot be written off as inartistic. When the viola was first invented, violinists wrote it off as a useless instrument that played second fiddle (pun intended) to the violin. They thought it was just a "thing of the youth" and would die out as quickly as you can say Sonata #5. Alas, the viola was to stay and hold its place as a staple in famous orchestras around the world. When the music form Jazz first arrived during the Harlem Renaissance, contemporaries wrote it off as completely inappropriate and liberal. Today, it is cherished as a relic of that era and is still played in bars and concerts throughout the world. Considering this conservative backlash at all new musical instruments, it is not surprising that we are even having this debate. Once again, the older generation who is unaccustomed to the electronic instruments today see it as silly and just "a thing of the youth".

I have little doubt that fifty years down the line, people will look back and see the music of this age as "oldies" and "classics". Our age will be classified in its own era of music, taking its place among Jazz, Rock, and the Swing eras as a unique form of music in this ever changing art.
cordeliachase

Pro

cordeliachase forfeited this round.
SetPoint

Con

Because my opponent has forfeited this round, all my contentions hold.

Please vote Con!
cordeliachase

Pro

cordeliachase forfeited this round.
SetPoint

Con

SetPoint forfeited this round.
cordeliachase

Pro

cordeliachase forfeited this round.
SetPoint

Con

Yet again, my opponent forfeights the round. Perhaps He/She forgot about it?

Regardless, all my contentions hold.

Please vote Con!
cordeliachase

Pro

cordeliachase forfeited this round.
SetPoint

Con

SetPoint forfeited this round.
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
"You're right. Because the lyrics from amazing bands are always so profound. Personally I've always been so downright blown away by such genius lyrics like, "There's nothing you can do that can't be done; There's nothing you can sing that can't be sung" or "I am the walrus - ku ku kachoo" from quite possibly the best band of all time (The Beatles)."

Then again, theyy have had some of the most profund lyrics like "We all live in a Yellow Submarine"
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
"It seems that the music being released today is all simply corporate."
"The music YOU listen to, maybe."

Good point Lwerd. There is a lot of awesome music being released these days, it just doesn't get commercial airplay. You have to find it.

Bands like Against Me, the Presets, Kasabian, Kings of Leon, Tame Impala, PNAU, Muse, MGMT, the Black Keys, Queens of the Stone Age.... I could go on for a lot longer. These bands have all released excellent albums in the past 5 or so years, like, really really good albums. If you only listen to commercial radio, you probably haven't even heard of most of them.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle

The music YOU listen to, maybe.

"The singers are making themselves sound robotic"

The majority don't. And who cares? This was done in the 80s too.

"rap/hip hop/r&b is taking over"

... So? ... Also, again, that's not entirely true.

"and everyone is writing about senseless things like dancing with girls on a table or having a lot of money."

You're right. Because the lyrics from amazing bands are always so profound. Personally I've always been so downright blown away by such genius lyrics like, "There's nothing you can do that can't be done; There's nothing you can sing that can't be sung" or "I am the walrus - ku ku kachoo" from quite possibly the best band of all time (The Beatles).