dwmiller
AlternativeDavid

Porn & Masturbation are Harmful to your Health.

AlternativeDavid

dwmiller

Pro

This is a debate on whether porn and masturbation are indeed harmful to your sexual, and overall health. I will be taking the pro position that they are indeed harmful.

The round rules are as follows. Any going against these rules will result in loss of the conduct point:

Round 1-- Accept by a con position only.
Round 2-- Main arguments from each side.
Round 3-- Rebuttals to main arguments by each side.
Round 4-- Rebuttals to opponents rebuttals, and closing arguments.

This is a friendly debate. Because of the nature of this debate, and personal opinions, please keep this debate clean as possible, and of a friendly nature. If you violate this, you agree to loss of conduct point.
dwmiller

Pro

I want to thank con for accepting this debate, even though I believe he thinks I am going to go off on masturbation/porn is a sin, or state my beliefs with non-science material. That is not going to be the case however. I plan to prove my argument through science, and nothing else.

PORN USERS HAVE SAME EFFECT AS AN ALCOHOLIC

Studies at Cambridge University have shown people who are addicted to pornography show similar brain activity to alcoholics or drug addicts. MRI scans of test subjects who admitted to compulsive pornography use, showed that the reward center of the brain (ventral striatum) reacted to seeing explicit material in the same way as an alcoholic might on seeing a drink.

http://www.independent.co.uk...

http://www.lifesitenews.com...

PORN CAUSES UNNATURAL LEVELS OF DOPAMINE IN BRAIN

Porn physically changes our brains' for the worse. Just like other addictive substances, porn floods the brain with dopamine (pleasure hormone). When our brain gets overwhelmed by the constant levels of dopamine that comes with consistent porn use, it fights back by taking away some of its dopamine receptors which hear dopamine’s message. Since there are now fewer receptors, even if the brain is putting off the same levels of dopamine in response to porn, the user will not feel dopamine’s effect as much. Because of this, the porn they were looking at before doesn’t seem as arousing or exciting, and the porn user has to go hunting for more porn or more hardcore porn to get the effect the old porn used to offer.

Hilton, D. L. (2013). Pornography Addiction—A Supranormal Stimulus Considered in the Context of Neuroplasticity. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology 3:20767

Pornography Addiction: A Neuroscience Perspective. Surgical Neurology International, 2: 19; (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Impulsive-Compulsive Sexual Behavior. CNS Spectrums, 11(12):944-955.

Influence of Unrestrained Access to Erotica on Adolescents’ and Young Adults’ Dispositions Toward Sexuality. Journal of Adolescent Health 27, 2: 41–44.

PORN CAUSES P.I.E.D (PORN INDUCED ERECTION DISFUNCTION)

According to Dr. Elizabeth Waterman, psychologist at Morningside Recovery Center, "When people start watching porn, there is a huge flood of dopamine in the brain," Because of high dopamine levels, the receptors that were once very sensitive become less sensitive, and normal physical intimacy does not produce enough dopamine to stimulate the dopamine receptors. The more porn someone watches, the more, and harder and more graphic, porn you need in order to get an erection. If the user continues, they can find themselves physically unable to maintain an erection, much less enjoy sexual contact with another person.

http://www.mensjournal.com...

Ian Kerner, PhD sexual counselor believes this is a “new kind of ED.” Andrew Kramer, MD urologist tends to agree with this as well. He states “you need more, and more of it…men preferring porn to sex with a partner.”

http://www.doctoroz.com...

MASTURBATION CAN CAUSE DAMAGE, AND PENILE SHRINKAGE

Dr. Irwin Goldstein, director of medicine at Alvarado Hospital, believe penile shrinkage occurs because of two main causes: 1. By the buildup of plaque, known as fat, that prevents the flow of blood, 2. By the buildup of inelastic scar tissue that prevents arteries from increasing in size inside the fibrous sheath of the erectile chambers. Excessive and abusive masturbation can damage the various subcutaneous tissues of the penis, causing both a buildup of plaque and an increase in scar tissue, two issues seen in a similar condition known as peyronie’s disease.

The sexually exhausted body can also experience an inhibited liver production and a depletion of HGH, an essential growth hormone for penile tissues, thus a male will experience penis shrinkage.

http://www.herballove.com...

PERSONAL PORN STORY

I know many readers will most likely blow this part off, but I believe personal experience is powerful in a debate as well. I started masturbating, like most guys, around the age of 15-16, and I loved the feeling I received from it (dopamine release). Some I became bored of just masturbating, so I turned to porn videos to provide me more images I could use to get me a better session. I soon became addicted to the dopamine release, and pleasure I was getting each day. Now at age 38, I find it hard to get an erection when having sex with my wife, and need to think of the images in order to stay hard. Porn has ruined my sex life, and I am struggling now to break free, and get me life back in regular order.

AlternativeDavid

Con

I thank Pro for what I hope turns out to be a though provoking debate. I shall lead the campaign to defend the practices of every sixteen year old boy ever.

I will by open by commending Pro for not mentioning religion in his opening arguments. I will now give my opening arguments.

Regular masturbation reduces the likelihood that one will get prostate cancer.

A study published in BJU International in 2009 [1] found that men in their 50's that masturbated frequently (one or more times per week) had a 70% lower risk of prostate cancer than those who did not masturbate. Polyxeni Dimitropoulou, PhD; the man who led the study, suggested that masturbation itself maybe be helpful because it rids the prostate gland of fluids that may contain cancer causing substances.

The study also found that men in their 20s and 30s that masturbated frequently (2-7 times per week) had an increased rate of prostate cancer than their abstinant counterparts. However, as the article states: "So it's not masturbation itself that's increasing prostate cancer risk in young men. More masturbation may just mean more sex drive -- and more androgens bathing prostate tissues."

Masturbation increases immunity

A study found [2] that after masturbation "[s]exual arousal and orgasm increased the absolute number of leukocytes, in particular natural killer cells (CD3-CD16+CD56+), in the peripheral blood. In contrast, T cell (CD3+) and B cell (CD3-CD20+) subpopulations as well as the production of interleukin 6 and tumor necrosins factor alpha remained unaffected by sexual activity."

What this means is that certain white blood cells became more prevolent while others remained uneffected. This resulted in a net gain of white blood cells. These cells are important for fighting tumours, viruses, and herpes [3]

Masturbation can also release stress, help you fall asleep, and relieve pain [4]

With this information I believe that we can conclude that masturbation is not harmful, healthy.

---
While this isn't the longest opening argument ever made, I'm not the one with the burden of proof. I will now allow my opponent to make his first rebuttals.

[1] http://www.webmd.com...
[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
[3] http://www.sciencedaily.com...
[4] http://www.plannedparenthood.org...
dwmiller

Pro

I will agree with con that I hope this becomes a though provoking debate. I also hope that people will judge this debate fairly based off the evidence shown, and not off their personal opinion on the subject. Personal opinions can sometimes be wrong.

I also believe that con has somewhat missed my FULL resolve in this debate. This debate isn't just about masturbation. The resolve is PORN and masturbation are harmful to your health. We are also talking about porn in this debate. Con has missed his chance to make his case of why porn is not harmful, and can only rebuttal my main arguments made in round two.

I will now go about making some rebuttals on the points con has made in reference to masturbation:

"Regular masturbation reduces the likelihood that one will get prostate cancer."

Not fully true, as the BJU study points out. It is only true for those 50 years and older. As the article points out, and con points out, "The study also found that men in their 20s and 30s that masturbated frequently (2-7 times per week) had an increased rate of prostate cancer than their abstinant counterparts."

The article clearly states that 20s and 30s who masturbate are at a higher risk than those who have regular sexual intercourse, or don't masturbation at all. The article states "sexual intercourse did not affect prostate cancer risk."

Con tries to point out that masturbation may not be the full cause of the higher risk because of a higher sex drive, but lets look at this more:

"High levels of male sex hormones, or androgens, may increase a man's risk of prostate cancer."; "These are just theories, Dimitropoulou warns"

Dimitropoulou states that the higher sex drive is only a THEORY for the increased risk, and clearly warns in the article that there is not science to back this up. Fact is there is a higher risk for cancer in the 20s and 30s of those masturbating than those that have regular sexual intercourse relations, or don't masturbate at all.

"A study found [2] that after masturbation, sexual arousal and orgasm increased the absoulute number of leukocytes, in particular natural killer cells..."

Ok, this may may true, but the article doesn't state WHY the white blood cell count went up. The article assumes because of the masturbation, but this is highly debatable. A higher number of white blood cells in the system will show up in a semen sample, but there are many other reasons the white blood cell count can be higher: illness, injury, high levels of stress, disease, etc. [1]. We can assume that teens will have stress within their lives, and some of the study could have be fighting illness at the time.

"Masturbation can also release stress, help you fall asleep, and relieve pain [4]"

Um, of course it will help you fall asleep, etc. Masturbation or regular sexual intercourse releases dopamine (feel good hormone) within the brain, as I pointed out in my arguments. Dopamine will help you fall asleep, and releave pain, but too much dopamine release by constant maturbation can be harmful to the brain, as I pointed out.

[1] http://www.mayoclinic.org...

I hope these rebuttals will help one to rethink what constant masturbation can do to your system. Yes, I will agree that masturbation feels good. No one will deny that fact, but there are other ways to get that dopamine release within life without having to masturbate. Also the release of semen buildup that everyone brings up can be taken care of in wet dreams. Our body was designed to have them; that is why we do.

I look forward to hearing what con has to bring forth, and I look forward to the final closing round.
AlternativeDavid

Con

I'd like to open by stating that it's harder to present an argument for a negative positive. I didn't have anything to say about porn that would not have counted as a rebuttal.
------

Porn users have the same effect as an alcoholic

The idea that alcoholism and pornography have related issues is ridiculous.

I'll just leave this list of 12 major health risks to heavy drinking: [5]

1) Anemia
2) Cancer
3) Cardiovascular disease
4) Cirrhosis
5) Dementia
6) Depression
7) Seizures
8) Gout
9) High blood pressure
10) Infectious disease
11) Nerve damage
12) Pancreatitis

Moving on, this is referring exclusively to compulsive pornography. Too much of anything is never good. If I drink seven glasses of water in one day, great. If I drink 27 glasses of water in one day, that's a problem. If I have one salad for dinner I'm fine. However, 11 salads for dinner is going to be painful.

Further more, after looking at lifesitenews.com I determined that it is a very socially right wing website, and will have biases against topics such as masturbation.

Porn causes unnatural levels of dopamine in the brain

Given the fact that this dopamine is being created by the brain-for the brain, the idea that it's unnatural holds no water.

Even if the claim that porn results in a decrease in dopamine receptors is true, is it necessarily harmful to one's health? The answer to that is no. It's not good to lose dopamine receptors, but it's not necessarily harmful.

Porn causes PIED

The exact same article that says this has a portion titled "Why porn and masturbation can be too much of a good thing." Again, it's not good to binge on anything, be it salad, water, or porn.

Also, I don't consider Doctor Oz to be a reliable source either. Mostly because he got in a lot of trouble over scamming consumers a few months ago [6].

Masturbation can cause damage and penile shrinkage

I'll start this rebuttal by pointing out that this claim by Pro voids the resolution. The resolution claims that masturbation and porn are definitively harmful. Pro used the phrase "can cause damage" which proves it doesnot necessarily cause damage. Pro has conceded. However, as I want to win this through my skills and not semantics, I will proceed with my arguments.

I can't believe that I have to point this out again, but it's not good to binge on anything. The same article uses the words "excessive and abusive masturbation" and the article is titled: "Penis Shrinkage - Caused by Over Masturbation"

The website also gives natural (potentially faulty) methods to "recover your penis size." If these methods work, then the idea that penile shrinkage is a bad thing is negated by Pro's own source.

Moreover about this source, it mentions what one doctor said one time and doesn't even source the doctor's words. They could have made up the quote and the information. I want to see real science to back up this claim.

Personal porn story

While it sucks that Pro has to go through this, it's unrelated to the resolution. Pro resolved that masturbation and porn are harmful. Unless Pro cannot get an erection because his penis fell off, he was not harmed by porn or masturbation.

In conclusion, masturbation and porn are not necessarily harmful when done correctly and in moderation.

[5] http://www.webmd.com...
[6] http://scienceblogs.com...
dwmiller

Pro

I would like to open the last round by looking at con's opening statement in round 3:

"I didn't have anything to say about porn that would not have counted as a rebuttal."

Ok, fine. But you did have the chance in round two to make your arguments of why you believe porn is good. You failed to do this however giving me an edge in the point.

I will now like to point out some of the errors made by con in his rebuttals of my arguments:

"The idea that alcoholism and pornography have related issues is ridiculous."

Con, did you even look at the article? The study was done by Cambridge University. Cambridge University is a very well known University.

"If I have one salad for dinner I'm fine."

So if I look at porn and masturbate once per day I will be fine? I don't think so. As stated porn and masturbation causes a release in dopamine. Your body will want to receive more and more over time. Soon your masturbation and porn use will become 2 or more times per day because your body wants that release.

"after looking at lifesitenews.com I determined that it is a very socially right wing website, and will have biases against topics such as masturbation. "

Well, I could say that planned parenthood is pro masturbation, but either way the Cambridge Study on the website is what we are looking at.

"Given the fact that this dopamine is being created by the brain-for the brain, the idea that it's unnatural holds no water."

Con has twisted my argument here. I didn't say that dopamine is unnatural in the brain, but that UNNATURAL LEVELS of dopamine within the brain is a bad thing.

"It's not good to lose dopamine receptors, but it's not necessarily harmful."

Con has conceded that losing dopamine receptors is not good, but I don't believe he fully understands how dopamine works in the brain, and why losing these receptors is a very bad idea.

When we look at porn, or masturbate, dopamine is released within the brain. Dopamine is our feel good hormone that sends the message to the penis, and causes us to receive an erection, and be happy. When we flood our brains with dopamine with daily masturbation or porn use, our brain starts to take away the dopamine receptors. As we lose the dopamine receptors, our brain, and body cannot receive the signal as well. When all the receptors are gone, the body can no longer receive the signal going out, and we have a very hard time saluting our wife or girlfriend if you get my picture. These is the main reason why P.I.E.D. has become a problem.

"I don't consider Doctor Oz to be a reliable source either"

OK, that is your personal opinion. However, let me point out that Doctor Oz himself wasn't who I quoted within my argument. I quoted Ian Kerner who hold a PhD and is a sexual counselor. I also quoted Andrew Kramer who is a urologist MD. I believe both of these two people would hold some credit.

"I'll start this rebuttal by pointing out that this claim by Pro voids the resolution"

I have not voided my resolution with the statement that has been made. I have stated that masturbation can cause penile shrinkage as the study points out. Masturbation can also cause penis skin irritation, loss of senitivity (flood of dopamine), dry penis skin, breaking of the penis skin, and possible urethal damage. I believe all of us have also heard of a penile "break".

I believe I have also pointed out that masturbation floods the brain with dopamine which over time causes loss of the dopamine receptors.

"While it sucks that Pro has to go through this, it's unrelated to the resolution. Pro resolved that masturbation and porn are harmful. Unless Pro cannot get an erection because his penis fell off, he was not harmed by porn or masturbation."

How is my personal story unrelated to the resolution stated? I have given my personal story of how porn/masturbation has ruined my life, and how I am trying to get my life, and sex life back in normal order.

Porn and masturbation can become very addictive, and very hard to break loss from. If someone doesn't believe this fact, try not masturbating or looking at porn for 30 days. I challenge you. How many of you wouldn't even make it past the first 4 days?

I want to close by stating that I believe I have made my arguments for why porn and masturbation are bad for your health. I hope that as people vote on this debate, they will vote based off how each side presented their arguments, and not on their own personal belief on the subject.

I thank con for being willing to debate this topic with me.

AlternativeDavid

Con

"Dimitropoulou states that the higher sex drive is only a THEORY for the increased risk, and clearly warns in the article that there is not science to back this up."

I would like to begin this with a moment of silence in regards to the murder of the definition of theory.

Definition of a scientific theory [7]: "A coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena"

When Dimitropoulou spoke of his theory, he meant that it was the most likely answer. Does Pro not believe the theory of relativity or quantum theory?

"The article assumes because of the masturbation, but this is highly debatable"

I sincerely doubt that the National Institute of Health would publish inconclusive data. Scientists know how to account for error in the data. Also, the white blood cell count should have gone down, not up, after ejaculation if stress was causing the high blood cell count. Masturbation works against stress. I believe that argument by Pro was a way to dodge conceding an argument.

They were also not checking just the semen for increased white blood cells, they were checking the blood of these men as well.

---------------------------------------------------------
I'm not completely sure if I'm allowed to respond to Pro's round 4 argument, but there are so many straw men that he set up that I don't care if I have to lose the conduct point.

Straw Man #1: "But you did have the chance in round two to make your arguments of why you believe porn is good"

My argument is not to show that porn is good. It is to show that is not harmful to one's health.

Straw Man #2: "Con, did you even look at the article? The study was done by Cambridge University. Cambridge University is a very well known University."

I'm not going to read the article, it's up to Pro to make the arguments. Also, my statement had nothing to with the way the brain reacts. My statement was referring to the side-effects of over masturbation v. alcoholism. They're not anywhere close in magnitude.

Straw Man #3: So if I look at porn and masturbate once per day I will be fine? I don't think so. As stated porn and masturbation causes a release in dopamine.

This is a complete misrepresentation of my argument. I was pointing out that anything in excess is bad, be it water, salad, or masturbation. One cannot drown themselves, and then claim water is unhealthy.

Straw Man #4: I didn't say that dopamine is unnatural in the brain, but that UNNATURAL LEVELS of dopamine within the brain is a bad thing.

I was stating that there cannot be unnatural levels of something that is created naturally. Your brain cannot create an unnatural amount of anything, because as long as the brain is making it, it is a natural level.

Straw Man #5: Con has conceded that losing dopamine receptors is not good, but I don't believe he fully understands how dopamine works in the brain, and why losing these receptors is a very bad idea.

I conceded something completely unrelated to the resolution. Again, losing dopamine receptors is not good, but it's not necessarily harmful. The resolution is that porn and masturbation are definitively harmful to overall health.

(Jumping from straw men to outright mistruths)

"I have stated that masturbation can cause penile shrinkage as the study points out"

This is not what Pro stated. Pro stated that "masturbation can cause damage, and penile shrinkage (round 2)." The resolution is that masturbation definitively harms the body, leaving the possibility that it might not harm the body is a concession.

(Pro has asked a question that I will address)

"How is my personal story unrelated to the resolution stated?"

The story is unrelated to the resolution because Pro has failed to connect how his overall health has been harmed by porn and masturbation.

------------

I believe that I have successfully made the case for why pornography and porn are not necessarily harmful. Yes excessive masturbation may be bad, but as I proved, excessive anything is bad.

Thanks for a fun debate. I learned a lot more about the topic than I knew going into it.

[7] http://dictionary.reference.com... (the first one)

Posted by my_moral_standards 2 years ago
my_moral_standards
@dwmiller you should have defined your thesis a bit more... something like: excessive use of porn can be harmful to your health. this was a cool debate but i would have used different arguments.
Posted by dwmiller 2 years ago
dwmiller
@AlternativeDavid - I fully agree. I learned from this debate that my resolution should have been stated different, but I do hope everyone has learned at least something from what I have posted.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
If that was your point then you should have made that the resolution.
Posted by dwmiller 2 years ago
dwmiller
Ok...this debate was not to cast judgment on anyone. If you look at porn, or jack off each day, that is your business. In the debate, all I was trying to do was point out that porn and masturbation can become very addictive in one's life. When it does, it can ruin your life. It is up to everyone to just read the debate and then decide for themselves.
Posted by CrazyCowMan 2 years ago
CrazyCowMan
Seems like dwmiller needs to jack off.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
What does my comment have to do with porn? Anyway, you should have defined "excessive masturbation" because without defining it, it's open to interpretation.
Posted by dwmiller 2 years ago
dwmiller
There seems to be a lot of people on here who believe porn and masturbation are not harmful, or addictive. If that is the case, I would like to challenge everyone to the no fap challenge. No porn, masturbation, or orgasm (unless by regular sexual intercourse) for 30 days. Lets see how many of you could really make it 30 days without porn, or masturbation? I bet a lot of you would find out you are more addicted than you really think.
Posted by dwmiller 2 years ago
dwmiller
*on
Posted by dwmiller 2 years ago
dwmiller
You still don't get that this debate wasn't just on masturbation. It was a porn and masturbation. I don't have to define a term to prove it is harmful.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
@dwmiller You spent most of the debate talking about how excessive masturbation is bad, yet never bothered to define it.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
dwmillerAlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: con pointed out the flaws in pro's arguments, rebutting them and showing the straw men in some of them.
Vote Placed by MasturDebatur 2 years ago
MasturDebatur
dwmillerAlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented reasonable arguments against pro and disputed everything stated by pro quite well. Good debate nonetheless.