Nanami7y
mrsatan

Porn does more harm than good.

mrsatan

Nanami7y

Pro

Before I start with this debate, I want to thank my first ever opponent for accepting this debate. I want to learn something everyday. Good luck :)

Ladies and gents, my topic for this debate would be porn does more harm than good. That's right. But the question is, why is porn dangerous?

People, today's society is already bombarded with sexual influence and even at a young age. Although it is natural to know about sex, some youngsters might be too exposed to these influences a bit too farfetched.

I'll explain now, people, normally, teenagers would learn about sex when they start puberty as they experiment with themselves and wonder about their own body. This is perfectly normal, however, with porn being easily accessed, kids as young as 10 could already be exposed to these stuffs.

Imagine your 10 year old kid already knowing all these stuffs. They are way too young to be exposed to all these adult content. The corollary of this would be exposed to bad influence.

eg: Imagine this situation. They watched porn > tells to friend > other friend watches porn > talk about porn at school > spreads porn to whole class > class spreads porn to whole school.

When these children talks about these kind of stuffs, they'll be exposed to BAD INFLUENCE and starts doing bad stuff as they grow up,
Ladies and gentleman, understand that I'm not saying all of them. But a majority of them will start doing negative things.

Eg : starts smoking,starts taking drugs,prostitution etc etc.

Moving on to my 2nd point which would further elaborate.

There's porn. But there's also disturbing , most darkest and easily accessible porn.

eg : having sex with a dog, sex with a corpse, rape, etc etc.
although this might sound ridiculous, but it is the truth nowadays ladies and gentleman.

and as I said before, this will lead to negative behaviors in some individuals. They will have a mindset that men or mainly women, are sexual toys for their pleasure. The use of prostitutes now will take over, drugs, smoking, etc as I said before will influence them as they grow up.

I rest my case. I hope I have put up a great argument and have convinced you that porn does more harm than good.

for the comments : Its still the first round. I can't elaborate much yet :(
there's no criteria set. Its free for everyone.
mrsatan

Con

Let me start by welcoming you to DDO, Nanami! And, thank you for proposing this challenge. If you're looking to learn new things, which we all should be, then you have definitely come to the right website. Although it's your first debate, I won't be going easy on you. The way I see it, the best way to learn anything involving challenge is through proper challenge.

Now then, for the matter at hand. I disagree that pornography, in general, does more harm than good. But before I address the good aspects of it, let's take a look at my opponents arguments, the main points being:

(1) Kids can be exposed to pornography at too young of an age, as it has become more easily accessed.

(2) The majority of kids exposed to pornography at a young age will start doing negative things as they grow up.

(3) There is bizarre and disturbing pornography, which will lead to negative behavior.

I'll go through these points one by one:

(1) Kids can be exposed to pornography at a young age, as it has become more easily accessed.

This is true, it can happen, but that doesn't mean it will, at least not to a large degree. The internet has made many things easily accessed. If you are looking for something online, be it information or entertainment, chances are you will find it, and this includes pornography. The majority of prepubescent kids, however, will not be searching for pornography. Generally speaking, it's simply not in their nature at that age. They haven't hit puberty, which is the general starting point of a persons interest in sex.

A study, done by Kimberly Mitchell, of the Crimes Against Children Research Center, and Michele Ybarra, of Internet Solutions for Kids, shows this. [1]

"Using data from the Youth Internet Safety Survey, a nationally representative, cross-sectional telephone survey of 1501 kids and adolescents (ages 10 - 17), characteristics associated with self-reported pornography seeking behavior, both on the internet and using traditional methods (e.g., magazines), are identified. The vast majority (87%) of youth who report looking for sexual images online are 14 years of age or older, when it is developmentally appropriate to be sexually curious." (Quoted from the PDF Source)

It's also worth noting, though not necessarily important, they found that those children who did look at pornography and were under the age of 14, were more likely to use more traditional means, such as magazines or movies.

My opponent says the majority of young kids who watch pornography will go on to do negative things, such as smoking, doing drugs, and prostitution. I'm not sure what leads her to believe this. However, the same study I used above shows that prepubescent children watching pornography generally follows negative behavior, rather than being the cause of it.

"Those [young children] who report intentional exposure to pornography, irrespective of source, are significantly more likely to cross-sectionally report delinquent behavior and substance use in the previous year." (Also quoted from PDF source [1])

There is most definitely some very disturbing pornography to found if you're looking, although it is a small portion of pornography on a whole. Some of this, such as child pornography, is inherently harmful, for reasons I doubt I need to point out. But something like this is not the fault of pornography, but the fault of deranged people who are "turned on" by things that most people would be appalled by.

As my opponent says, there are several forms of bizarre pornography. Some are nothing more than strange fetishes, while others, such as beastiality and necrophilia (sex with the dead), are thoroughly unsettling to even think about, let alone watch.

But, I don't see reason to believe this will cause negative behavior in any individual. Mainly because this is not the kind of pornography one will find in pop-ups, or advertisements. This is the kind of pornography one has to actively search for. To search for these kinds of things, a person is already somewhat disturbed in at least some way. It therefore cannot be considered a cause but is instead an effect.

The Good Aspects of Pornography

To say that no good comes from pornography would be a lie.

It provides stimulation for adolescents who are discovering themselves. This allows them to take care of there own sexual needs and wants rather than having sexual relations before they are ready. I'm sure we can all agree that minors having sex and creating kids of their own, while still kids themselves, is a bad thing.

It provides single adults the means to relieve sexual tension, to clear it from their minds. They can then focus their attention on more important matters, such as their job or finding a meaningful relationship. Things that are hard for a person to do when all they can think about is how long it's been since they've had sex.

It can bring intimacy back into a relationship that has lost its passion. This can turn a marriage away from divorce. In unmarried couples, it can lead to a stronger connection in their relationship, as they find out what one anothers preferences are, without worrying so much about awkwardness.

And with that, I put it back to my opponent.

[1] Sex, Lies And Statistics (mention of study at bottom)
http://www.forbes.com...
PDF link to actual study: www.unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/jvq/CV76.pdf
Nanami7y

Pro

Thank you! May the best man win. I'm a 'he' by the way. Might be the picture. Anyways, on to my rebuttals.

I want to start off by saying that pornography in and of itself is not a "bad" thing. We have preconceived notions about porn being something bad.

As my opponent stated , 'it is but the fault of deranged people who are "turned on" by things that most people would be appalled by.'

There is a cause on how these people's mindset gone haywire in the first place. Its because they watched disturbing and harmful porn that they actually pursue to follow them. Porn has damaged their mind and I don't understand why people don't see this since porn IS the cause of the problem.

Humans are curious, and sometimes, being curious could lead to bad things.
You don't have to be disturbed to search for those kind of porn. They are simply easy to search for as I said. It is easily accessed. People with weird fetishes sometimes stumble upon these disturbing material and ACTUALLY began to pursue them. I'll comeback to this later.

He said also something about 'providing stimulation for adolescents who are discovering themselves.'

You CAN masturbate without porn. I'm not going to lie, but most people in the 21st century masturbate with porn. But we survived without porn before. Sure it stimulates you but sometimes things are just too good to be true and that screams for most teenager's left hand.

Looking back on my personal time I've spent on porn, it feels so empty. Before, when I was with a girl and the attraction was mutual, I was happy to just be with her. Life was an exciting adventure. Now, with the porn, life"s just bland. I get on the computer and look something up. That"s as special as it gets. A real GIRL beats porn by a milestone.

In a study at the University of Paisley, some subjects had sex with their partner; others masturbated to porn. Afterward, there was 400% more prolactin in the bloodstream of the subjects who had made love.

Prolactin is one of the feel-good chemicals that comes in like the tide after lovemaking and leaves us contented and more attached to our partner.

'It can bring intimacy back into a relationship that has lost its passion. This can turn a marriage away from divorce.'

Its a current myth that porn doesn"t have to affect your relationships.

The fact is that relationships AREN'T built on sex, but on expressions of commitment, sharing, caring, joy, mutual trust, and love. People who view porn lose this sensitivity and eventually don"t relate to these values at all. Pornography denigrates sex into an act no more meaningful than two baboons mating in the forest. Pornography pollutes a couple"s sexual relationship.
It make you more dissociated with sex in the real world, because let's face it: porn is a fantasy. The women in porn are perfect.

That's all for my rebuttals. Anyways,

Again, understand that I'm not saying that porn is all bad, it has its benefits too.
But the negativity it brings just carries more weight that it overshadows its own benefits.

A little bit of porn doesn't bring harm but the problem is ladies and gentlemen, it has something called being ADDICTIVE.

Pornography addiction begins in the mind. People tell themselves pornography is just harmless, escapist pleasure. But the enjoyment is short-lived and often, as with drug addiction, the viewer finds himself needing more and more in order to get the same excitement or "high".

Worse, pornography has an insidious tendency to cross over and infiltrate a person"s life, affecting thoughts, sexual conduct and the possibility of truly connecting with another person in a healthy, respectful relationship.

Although they can watch porn without it actually RUINING their lives, imagine the majority of people that have this kind of control. That's right, not all of them have it. If so, its in a small majority, and that's for normal people.

Imagine how hard it is for teenagers who's hormones are going wild. It can ruin their lives for them. Subconsciously without them even knowing!

And ladies and gentlemen, in a nutshell, the pro side is not trying to say porn doesn't have its benefits. But simply because it carries more weight on the bad side rather than the good and for the reasons I've set, I strongly believe that porn does more harm than good.

I rest my case once again.

Sources :
mrsatan

Con

I apologize for the misunderstanding. You're profile picture is somewhat misleading, but it was a lapse in judgement on my part to assume gender based off of it. No disrespect was intended.

Bizarre Porn

To say that this porn is the cause of negative behavior is nothing more than an assumption.

I'll admit, my opponent is correct when he says people can find such porn out of nothing more than curiosity. But if viewing it makes someone think they themselves should pursue it, then my point still stands. They come to such a conclusion, not because of the porn, but because of issues that already existed.

Adolescents Using Pornography

Just to be clear, I do not think masturbating to porn is better than sex, though I find it odd that Pro would bring this up when he's talking about adolescents. Adolescents shouldn't be having sex, as teenage pregnancy is not only capable of diminishing, but is very likely to diminish, a persons potential for a successful future. If anything, this is just another positive aspect of pornography.

He also says that it's possible to masturbate without porn, but is this really true? When a person masturbates with nothing but imagination, they are still imagining pornographic material. The only real difference is whether their eyes are open or closed.

Pornography in Relationships

I never said porn has no effect on relationships. Only that its effect can be positive.

My opponent states, "The fact is that relationships AREN'T built on sex, but on expressions of commitment, sharing, caring, joy, mutual trust, and love."

This isn't entirely true. A relationship can be built on sex. But I will agree that the more meaningful ones are not. This, however, is not to say sex isn't important. Many marriages do fail because the sex has gone stale. This is because a lack of intimacy implies a lack of love. Why do you think it's commonly referred to as making love?

Pornography is fantasy, true. But so are dreams. If someone has a dream that they can fly, they don't then wake up and jump off a building thinking they still can (provided they are mentally stable). This is because we have the ability to sperate fantasy from reality.

But the fantasy of pornography can be used by people as a basis for ideas to reinvigorate a stale sex-life. Ideas such as different positions, or ways to roleplay.

It can be harmful, but only if ones using it as a way to not be intimate with their partner. And, in that case, when porn means more to a person than their partner, the two of them probably shouldn't be partners in the first place.

As for Pros' other arguments, they are all either bare assertions with no backing, or simply nonsense (What exactly is a "small majority"?).

Pornography is no more addictive than anybodies favorite TV show. To compare it with drugs, which can be chemically addictive, is just silly.

Adolescent hormones running wild is prevented by masturbation, which is easier to do with porn. As I said before, it helps with relieving sexual needs, and then they can focus on more important things, such as finding a meaningful relationship where sex isn't the main concern.

Plain and simple, the majority of people watch porn. We know this because it's a multi-billion dollar industry, and this is true despite the availability of free porn on the internet. If porn were as harmful as Pro insists, the majority of us would be crazed, sexual deviants. This is simply not the case.

As such, it stands that porn does not do more harm than good.
Nanami7y

Pro

Heh no harm done. Its mainly my fault. Nice debate we're here :)
Enough chit chat. Anyways, lets return to our topic shall we?

Bizarre Porn.
I don't want to keep harping on this but I have to make my point clear.
Being disturbed in the first place comes from many factors.

The definition of emotional disturbance is being mentally ill. Mostly from unhappy or depressing moments like for an example, you just broke up with your long term girlfriend or your dog died. This could also come from work, home and school.

I agree that porn is not the cause of people searching for these harmful type of porn.
But porn helps boosts this problem by a huge amount.

Humans as I stated before are VERY curious.
And when they got a bad day, or at least some way disturbed by something in their day, its not rare for people to ACTUALLY search for these weird bizarre porn and once they actually caught up to those things. Its hard to get out since its ADDICTIVE.

Long term exposure to graphic images and messages clearly do influence both private and public perceptions. Continued exposure to such material has been clearly demonstrated to lead these normal peoples to actually become harmful.

Child pornography is not a rare scenario anymore. Some fact about child porn :

" Child pornography is produced at the suffering of children who are sexually abused.
" Child pornography renews feelings of guilt, shame, fear and self-hate in the victims of childhood sexual assault.
" Child pornography fuels the deviant sexual desires of adults who would sexually abuse children.
" Child pornography is BIG business on the Internet
" Every 15 seconds a child is abused in the United States.
" The average sex offender has 117 victims.
" There are an estimated 60 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse in America today ONLY.

I'm not going to be ignorant here. Porn is not the ONLY cause of this. However, it serves as a major contribute.

These people who does child porn has their own group where they share their own porn all over the internet such as E-mails, Newsgroups, Premium websites, P2P (peer to peer) and even using webcam.

These groups they communicate with each other and share porn from thousands of miles, making it hard for the police to trace their act. Their business continues to grow rapidly and more and more people are actually going to view this and apparently, this is the sad truth.

Adolescents Using Pornography

It is true that adolescents shouldn't be having sex. To release their sexual tension, they masturbate. I disagree however about con saying that porn is the same as imagining sexual intercourse.

Imagination is something that illustrates your thoughts. Its built in you.

Porn is a material. People misuse material all the time.

And yes, people masturbate with their imaginations all the time. Even nowadays, when porn fills up to 40% of the Internet on whole.

Pornography in Relationships

"A relationship can be built on sex."

Yes, I do agree. A relationship CAN be built on sex. However, how long does it last really?

Eventually, the guy will get bored of his partner since porn offers
After they get married and got themselves a baby. When the infatuation is gone, they're going to HAVE to express joy, mutual trust and love. But most of them will fail to do so since their marriage is driven by LUST.

Like I've stated before, the high level of infatuation fades over time in a relationship. Why diminish attraction even more by exposing ourselves to a parade of alternative sex objects? Study after study has demonstrated that viewing pornography diminishes research subjects" attraction to and satisfaction with their real-life partners.

Sure, you've stated that they could try new sex positions and all that but coming from my mother's friend, her husband was addicted back to porn and imagined himself being in an actual porn film with her wife. Its not that he actually wanted to have sex with her.

Another of my sister's friend, a porn-addicted woman, found that sex with his husband was only exciting when she imagined a porn star that she liked was having sex with her.

Imagine if the partners knew about this. How would they feel? Down right hurt!

Imagine this situation right here, they stopped having sex. Child was already born. Couples fighting everyday and eventually divorce. What about the child? What about the tension these couples have had been through. Some couples actually committed suicide because of the stress they have to put up to. About 1 million people die from depression every year in the United States. A number of them are from married couples.

In a nut shell, marriages are much more healthy when they're driven by things other than just sex. Porn in the short term may be good, but in the long run, it will cause more harm than good.

Its nice debating with you :)
Thank you and have a nice day!
mrsatan

Con

Bizarre Porn

There is absolutely nothing good about child abuse, in any form, be it physical, mental or sexual abuse. But, horrible as all of it is, not all of the sexual abuse forced onto children is done making pornography. And yes, there are other forms of bizarre pornography that no good comes from. But these types of porn are only a small fraction of pornography as a whole, and the people who make, or enjoy, such pornography, were clearly disturbed beforehand. Even when viewed out of curiosity, any mentally sound person would recoil in disgust from such things. Those people who are so mentally disturbed that they do enjoy such things are the ones doing harm. The pornography they chose to make, no matter how despicable it is, cannot be blamed for their actions, or their disturbed minds.

Pornography in Relationships

Pro seems to have misunderstood me. I agreed with him that relationships based on sex will generally be less meaningful. But regardless of the base of the relationship, sex is still generally important. It is the most intimate way of connecting with your partner, on both physical and emotional levels.

Pornography doesn't make anybody do anything. If someone is no longer attracted to, or excited by, their significant other, then that is a problem. Many relationships cannot survive that. If couples turn to pornography together to help stimulate their sex life, it can help to fix their relationship. However, if someone shuts their partner out, and turns to pornography just to satisfy their own needs, that is a choice they freely make. The cause is a lack/loss of attraction, not pornography.

Pornography is nothing more than a tool. It can be used in regards to fixing a relationship, or in pushing someone away. But the tool is not to blame for what the wielder does with it.

For instance, say I'm using an axe to chop some wood. But I miss the wood, and instead put the axe head through my foot. Do I blame the axe for this? No, I blame my own carelessness.

Closing Statement

Pornography is a tool, and both good and bad can be achieved by using it, but the tool itself cannot and should not be blamed for what its wielder does with it.

I would like to thank my opponent once more for proposing this debate, and may the best debater win.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I certainly believe a lot of porn is bad. Rape porn, beastiality, and other bizarre fetish porn is just gross! This kind of porn puts ideas into people's heads that simply shouldn't be there. Not all porn is healthy, and much of it is downright wrong!

I think you can develop some good arguments for your side, Nanami!
Posted by HostileBelief 3 years ago
HostileBelief
I would like to take this on but I don't match your criteria
Posted by Cobo 3 years ago
Cobo
I would like to accept, but alas I can't. What is the criteria for accepting the debate?
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
I think your argument feels more like one against letting young children use the internet without supervision.
Posted by IslamAhmadiyya 3 years ago
IslamAhmadiyya
Yeah porn does more harm than good, you know why?

The more you start getting used to the material you see watching porn, then you want to start looking for something else. After awhile, people get bored with women, and want to try something new.

Their sex life with their wife is ruined, they have no enjoyment in it anymore, there's nothing new for them to see, so they start getting into other crazy stuff, like alien porn and crap like that.

It turns you into a monster on the inside, yeah, porn does all harm to you and corrupts you, and the bad thing is, you don't know HOW it corrupts you, and you'll never know how you've been affected.
Posted by TheEnergyHippo 3 years ago
TheEnergyHippo
I think that porn isn't bad for everyone. I think most people just want something good to masturbate to. Perverts are a different story. I am 14 and I watch porn for 3 years yet I don't have problems or talk to everyone about this. It is more to a person rather than the porn itself that is 1 of the reasons I don't want to start the debate the other one is I don't match the age criteria :C.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Your case seems to be that porn is bad because of 2 edge cases. That does not condemn the entire concept.
Posted by PiningForASilverLining 3 years ago
PiningForASilverLining
You might find someone to argue this point, but that person is just a pervert, haha.

There is only 1 thing porn can do that is good and that is teach new moves, only appropriate for people in a healthy, age-appropriate sexual relationship
Vote Placed by THElittleRISK 3 years ago
THElittleRISK
Nanami7ymrsatanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were unbacked by any sources. Con used sources and made and defended his arguments well.