Yarely
yuiru

Porn is the perfect propaganda towards patriarchy

Yarely

Pro

Gail Dines said, "'[p]ornography is the perfect propaganda piece for patriarchy. In nothing else is their hatred of us quite as clear.'

I will be arguing that porn is degrading towards women on the terms that it treats them like sex objects, it is violent to women during production, and it promotes hatred toward women. I will be arguing that porn is a reflection of a predominately sexist society and promotes a patriarchy in every way possible

Con will be arguing that porn is not degrading or patriarchal by nature and will provide their reasons for it
yuiru

Con

I will be arguing that porn is not patriarchal by nature or degrading towards women.

Pro has already commited these fallacies:

1- Fallacy of Composition

2- Hasty Generlization

Pro is also begging the question as they have not defined what they mean by patriarchal or given evidence that pornography is patriarchal. I encourage pro to do this.

Problems with pornography being degrading or patriarchal by nature to women.

Not all pornography even includes man on woman or any woman at all.

Not all pornography is degrading towards woman.

Not all pornography is subjugates woman and even the opposite exist.

Not all pornography viewers are men watching women.

So the pro's position is already contradictory because the argument is pornography is "degrading towards women on the terms that it treats them like sex objects" and yet there are pornography where this is not the case.
It is like saying the internet is a tool for pornography, but this is contradictory because it is used for other things.
There are simply to many variables for pornography to deem it the "perfect propaganda towards patriarchy". It is cleary very imperfect as it does not hold water when one considers the variables.

Close

http://en.wikipedia.org...;
Yarely

Pro

Can I cancel this debate?

I framed this debate wrong

I meant to frame it more in a way that is discussing how porn in a general basis (not all porn) is a large part of a growing sexist, objectifying and sexualized culture

If you want to debate that, I can challenge you, but honestly the way I framed this debate is not really how I intended to argue this.

Sorry, and thank you for your time
yuiru

Con

Pro wishes to cancel the debate.

It's better that pro realizes a mistake in the framing of their debate than try to argue for what they do not intend to argue, so this is best for both pro and con.

I recommend voters not vote on this debate either.

Yarely

Pro

Thank you :)

Anyways I'm going to try to redo this debate in the set up I originally intended
Yarely

Pro

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix...
yuiru

Con

Madness, hysteria - false psychology
Yarely

Pro

Yarely forfeited this round.
yuiru

Con

yuiru forfeited this round.
Posted by Christian27 3 years ago
Christian27
I like porn that degrades and humiliates women.
That is because I am a man!
Posted by Skynet 4 years ago
Skynet
yuiru's account is no longer active. I was in the middle of a debate with him. Any idea what happened?
Posted by Yarely 4 years ago
Yarely
@yuiru
Thanks for the advice!
Posted by Yarely 4 years ago
Yarely
Yea I know
I set it up in a really terrible way

I'm cancelling the debate. Read "Round 2"
Posted by Misterscruffles 4 years ago
Misterscruffles
"Porn is the perfect propaganda towards patriarchy""I will be arguing that porn is degrading towards women on the terms that it treats them like sex objects,""it is violent to women during production,""and it promotes hatred toward women.""I will be arguing that porn is a reflection of a predominately sexist society"

Right here, you've set your BOP for these arguments so high that it will be practically impossibly for you to demonstrate them. All con has to do is show that your claim that pornography is inherently these things may not be completely true in some fashion.

"and promotes a patriarchy in every way possible"

"Patriarchy" is a system in which a single man is the autocratic head of an organization. For example, the US governments is not a patriarchy, as it is oligarchical. Most actual patriarchies (Saudi Arabia, Iran, the Catholic Church) are against porn, and seek to suppress it.

"Okay I say American porn, and any type of American porn from amateur to professional. Mostly I'll be referring to Internet hardcore porn"

If you're going to try to show that "American internet hardcore porn" is representative of "all porn", you're going to have a hell off a time meeting the BOP for that claim.

"Just to reiterate, it's going to be discussing "the majority of porn" not "all of it""

That's different than your original claim. It changes your BOP problem, so that if you argue this, you're going to have to demonstrate that "a majority of porn" is (claims), which is still nigh-impossible.
Posted by yuiru 4 years ago
yuiru
I understand. Seeing as you understand your error, prevention of error is only necessary.
-More clarity [does my language match my intended position?]
-Deeper thinking when framing debates [What kind of arguments may the contender present? What are the logical implications? etc]
That should help.
Posted by Yarely 4 years ago
Yarely
I'm sorry for that. I tend to frame debates badly or don't make myself clear enough.
Posted by yuiru 4 years ago
yuiru
Proposition: "Porn is the perfect propaganda towards patriarchy"

"I will be arguing that porn is a reflection of a predominately sexist society and promotes a patriarchy in every way possible"

"Con will be arguing that porn is not degrading or patriarchal BY NATURE [my emphasis] and will provide their reasons for it"

Reiterate means to state something again for emphasis and clarity.
The language in your opening round and the proposition itself in no way suggest you are discussing "the majority of porn NOT ALL OF IT" and nowhere do you emphasis and make it clear (you do not even suggest it), so you are not reiterating anything. I will continue to debate the original proposition, as there is little relevancy to your distinction anyhow.
Posted by Yarely 4 years ago
Yarely
Just to reiterate, it's going to be discussing "the majority of porn" not "all of it"
Posted by Yarely 4 years ago
Yarely
As of now I'm pretty unsure about this issue so I'm just going to test this out
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 4 years ago
Misterscruffles
YarelyyuiruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Double FF